Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Secular Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #1
Sojourner
Administrator

Judas Priest

If there is a thread (doubtful) it isn't on the first three pages and the last post would be well over six years old. So, I'll start one up.

I just saw them for the very first time this part Tuesday in Wilkes-Barre. It was opening night for their Firepower tour. The new album (Firepower) came out last week and has generated some interest among those of us unto this kind of music. I belong to a Judas Priest fan group on Facebook and it has been interesting to watch the conversations among life-long Priest fans. Founding guitarist Glenn Tipton is not touring with them now.That announcement was made recently and is directly related to him having Parkinson's Disease. He was diagnosed almost a decade ago but has continued to write, record, and tour with the band. He contributed to the new album and the band insists he's still a member but just cannot tour at this point. Many fans are saying that they should call it quits or change the name now. Some of these same fans said the same thing in 2011 when K.K. Downing (the other founding guitarist) retired. Judas Priest was actually doing a "farewell" tour at the time but rebooted once Downing left. Some speculate that Downing was the one wanting to call it quits and the others went along with it up until he left. Priest brought in Richie Faulker and have now recorded two albums with him.

I'm not a die-hard fan but I know more than the handful of songs you may hear on classic rock radio. I put Priest in the same category as Iron Maiden. I like most of the stuff they've done but I'm not a fanboy by any stretch of the imagination. I really don't have a dog in the fight because I like both of the albums Priest has done with Faulker. I really like this new one. I don't mind that this new tour only has two of the "classic" line-up in it. Rob Halford and bassist Ian Hill are the only one left from that version. Drummer Scott Travis has been with them since 1989 and has played on every JP album sincePainkiller in 1990. Halford even left the band in 1992 and they recorded two albums (Jugulator and Demolition) with Tim Owens. Halford came back in 2003 and they've done three albums since.

I guess my point is that this band (in some form) since 1969 and recorded their first album in 1974. Rob Halford is sixty-six. Ian Hill is sixty-seven. Glenn Tipton is seventy. Scott Travis is fifty-six. Now, Richie Faulker is only thirty-eight and Andy Sneap (the guy who co-produced the new album and is touring with them) is forty-eight (my age). If Halford left again and they attempted to carry on under the Priest banner I would probably scoff. The first time he left you still had Downing, Tipton, and Hill so it technically was still Priest.

Wow...that was long and there's a good chance that no one here really cares.

All I really wanted to say is that the new album is killer and the show is probably in my top five concerts of all time.

Rock on.

Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links