Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Recording & Live Sound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
by hope we steer

Audio Interface to Eliminate Buzz

I have some M-Audio BX5s that I have plugged in directly to my soundcard and I get a constant subtle bad grounding buzz/hum and a buzz anytime I move my mouse or my printer when plugged in via USB.

I never had the issue before because I was using an older Tascam recording interface. However, that thing is huge and as time has progressed the drivers have gotten wonky with different windows updates. So I shelved it.

I would like to have the cheapest options that will get rid of the buzz. I would love to have a physical volume knob again, too.

If I can get something for less than $50 that does the trick but doesn't have recording ins/outs that's fine with me.

However, if I can get something of good quality for under $100 that might have some ins/outs for recording I might be tempted to upgrade.

I just want to get rid of the buzzing.

Unread 03-13-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
Some guy

Send a message via AIM to Maestro_dmc Send a message via Skype™ to Maestro_dmc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Enough View Post
I have some M-Audio BX5s that I have plugged in directly to my soundcard and I get a constant subtle bad grounding buzz/hum and a buzz anytime I move my mouse or my printer when plugged in via USB.

I never had the issue before because I was using an older Tascam recording interface. However, that thing is huge and as time has progressed the drivers have gotten wonky with different windows updates. So I shelved it.

I would like to have the cheapest options that will get rid of the buzz. I would love to have a physical volume knob again, too.

If I can get something for less than $50 that does the trick but doesn't have recording ins/outs that's fine with me.

However, if I can get something of good quality for under $100 that might have some ins/outs for recording I might be tempted to upgrade.

I just want to get rid of the buzzing.
I'm not a big Behringer guy, but you're on a budget:

Behringer U-Phoria UM2 | Guitar Center

That should get the job done.

Can't promise it will get rid of the hum, but it's cheap enough to be worth a try.
Maestro_dmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
by hope we steer

I might check that out.

I just ended up plugging my old interface back in but I'm losing a good foot of real estate on my desk. The buzz and hum is gone but it'd be nice to have that back.
Unread 03-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
My name is Oliver Queen.

paid
Have you tried moving the devices causing it to different USB ports?

You could also be getting background noise caused by whatever the computer's plugged into (like a power board).

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - Line 6 Helix, POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
President of the Galaxy

The U-Phoria is good. Also the M-Track is decent. Best small form factor interface for your money IMO is going to be a Focusrite Scarlett, though I've never personally used one. I have the M-Track Quad but will likely replace it down the road with a Scarlett.

I have a business!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
Ben Toast, I have been sanctioned by the official CGRARC (Christian Guitar Resources Awesome-ness Recognition Committee) to declare that henceforth and hitherto, you are awesome.

Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
My name is Oliver Queen.

paid
On further thought, if you have a compatible power supply for the interface you can test with it (or separate from where the computer and printer are plugged in) that might be worth looking into.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - Line 6 Helix, POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
President of the Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
On further thought, if you have a compatible power supply for the interface you can test with it (or separate from where the computer and printer are plugged in) that might be worth looking into.
This. Also! Poor power in a house can lead to buzz in recordings, regardless of what interface, amp, mics, or cabling you use (*I now live in a 90-year-old house and can attest to this*). If you have an interface and you're still buzzing, and you're SURE it's not your XLR cable or mic, your next step would be a power conditioner.

I have a business!
Quote:
Quote:
Ben Toast, I have been sanctioned by the official CGRARC (Christian Guitar Resources Awesome-ness Recognition Committee) to declare that henceforth and hitherto, you are awesome.

Unread 03-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #8
by hope we steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Toast View Post
This. Also! Poor power in a house can lead to buzz in recordings, regardless of what interface, amp, mics, or cabling you use (*I now live in a 90-year-old house and can attest to this*). If you have an interface and you're still buzzing, and you're SURE it's not your XLR cable or mic, your next step would be a power conditioner.
I know for a fact it's the power in the house. I have problems with many things from lights to amplifiers. Since I'm renting there's not much I can do about it, though.

By the way, thanks for all the input! I'm selling some gear locally now and if I can get enough I'll probably go for the focusrite but if not I might just pick up that behringer. My current unit is fantastic just not really convenient in my current office setup.
Unread 03-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
President of the Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Enough View Post
I know for a fact it's the power in the house. I have problems with many things from lights to amplifiers. Since I'm renting there's not much I can do about it, though.

By the way, thanks for all the input! I'm selling some gear locally now and if I can get enough I'll probably go for the focusrite but if not I might just pick up that behringer. My current unit is fantastic just not really convenient in my current office setup.
Fun fact, if you want to condition you power while simultaneously providing an uninterruptible battery backup for your recording computer (nobody likes losing their work when the power goes out!) I'd check out a pure sine UPS (link provided for example). I wish I had ponied up a few extra bucks to buy one when I bought my battery backup. Would super come in handy to condition power to my amps and reference speakers. Otherwise a power conditioner would be ideal for cleaning up your power.. may get one here soon myself if I can swing it.

A friend of mine has the behringer and says it works great! I know a lot of Behringer's newer stuff has been getting pretty good (from their X-series mixers and onward, at least). But yes, if you can afford it, the focusrite would be the way to go!

I have a business!
Quote:
Quote: