Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Prayer Requests & Testimonies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #1
Admemeistrator

paid
My church needs to find a new space to worship in

Hi all,

I would covet your prayers. My church, St. John of Shanghai and St. Nina of Georgia Orthodox Mission, needs to find a new space to worship in in the next 1-2 years. Basically, the gracious Roman Catholic landlords from whom we rent our current space (a former convent house which used to house a small order of women monastics (nuns)) need to sell the property in order to raise money to fix up their nearby school so it doesn't collapse in an earthquake.

We've got two committees. One is trying to raise 5 million dollars to buy the property from the RC Archdiocese outright. The other is trying to find a new space to worship in given a whole series of desiderata, which are a bit more complicated than if we were a Protestant church (just for example, they need to be okay with us burning incense and regularly ringing bells, and at least once a year ringing bells at 2 AM while shouting "CHRIST IS RISEN!!!" at the top of our lungs ).

So I know you all might have some theological quibbles with my tradition. That's okay. I still covet your prayers. My community is incredible. One other CGRer has been to visit me there (<3 Sabrina). Lives have been changed here through the discovery of Jesus Christ in His holy Church. Just this morning we had a former self-describd 'militant atheist' received into the order of the catechumens (those who are preparing to receive holy baptism). We've got people with disabilities, people who struggle with addictions of various kinds who find with our community the spiritual medicines they need for their healing.

May Christ our true God, through the prayers of His most pure mother and of all the saints, including you all, order all things to His will. Amen.

<3 Ryan Isaac.

The tree of Eden once caused bitterness,
But the Tree of the Cross made sweetness of life to blossom!
In tasting the first, Adam fell into to corruption,
But as we eat the Body of Christ we are given life and mystically deified,
Receiving God's eternal Kingdom.
Therefore we cry out in faith:
Glory to Your suffering, Lord!

- from the service of Wednesday Matins

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-25-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
|Last of the Gang to Die|

10-4.

And no quibbles from me.

[My CGR Blog]

CGR: The Decimation
[A chronicle of CGR's timestream disruption and eventual redemption]
TheProdigalModern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Love you, man, and will definitely be praying for you guys.

No matter which route is taken, whatever is unveiled during this process, God will surely be served mightily by you and yours.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #4

paid
Quibbles with your denomination? I have far more respect for EO than most denominations, period.

I hope and pray that you get a space that your congregation can afford and gives them all the opportunities for ministering to its members and the community. Godspeed!
Unread 02-26-2018, 02:06 AM   #5
Admemeistrator

paid
Thanks all. Part of the reason we're kinda scrambling to find a place to rent is that we've been budgeting and living with dirt cheap rent (seriously, our Catholic landlords could probably charge us at least 2K more a month than they are - they're giving us such a good deal that our Parish Council actually suggested to our landlord that they increase our rent (by $100) because we didn't think they were charging us enough and we hadn't had a rent increase in a couple of years, and we wanted to be excellent tenants. .

Because we've been getting such a killer deal from our landlords our congregation isn't accustomed to making the kinds of tithes/contributions that would be survivable at a rental level that isn't subsidized by the generosity of the awesome RCs across the street who own our building.

The reason this is posted now is that the new-building-search committee (which I'm on) just had its first meeting today. So it's the first pang of "Damn, this is actually on the horizon."

The tree of Eden once caused bitterness,
But the Tree of the Cross made sweetness of life to blossom!
In tasting the first, Adam fell into to corruption,
But as we eat the Body of Christ we are given life and mystically deified,
Receiving God's eternal Kingdom.
Therefore we cry out in faith:
Glory to Your suffering, Lord!

- from the service of Wednesday Matins

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote