Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-22-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
still not a stale muffin.
Administrator

paid
One Day at a Time

anyone watch this yet?

i definitely bingewatched both seasons, and i have to admit that i kind of love it. it started out a little rocky (i mean, most pilots do, right?) but i think the actors got into the groove of their characters really fast. everyone does a great job, especially the kids, but it's the abuelita (the incredible rita moreno) who definitely hooked me. she’s seriously the best, and kind of reminds me of one of my great-aunts.

although i’m not latina, there were definitely some gags that hit home for me as a middle eastern woman (and caused much giggling), and the overall immigrant experience transcends culture, especially when the immigration story involves leaving a war-torn dictatorship. i saw a lot of parallels between their family’s flight from cuba and my own family’s flight from iran, and what it means to be [insert culture here]-american.

on the lighter side, in one of the later episodes the pope’s picture suddenly appears on the fridge, sneaky courtesy of abuelita. i had to laugh, because i have a candle with a small photo of the late patriarch on it in my kitchen—nevermind that i am not orthodox, my nana gave it to me and assumed it would live in my kitchen...and so it does.

of course there are some cheesy and silly moments, but overall i really, really like this show and highly recommend it. they highlight many current social issues and the impact these issues have on us and our neighbors, and they tackle some extremely difficult topics with humanity and care. so if you haven’t watched it...give the first three eps a shot and then let me know what you think. =)

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-25-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
Sojourner
Administrator

paid
So, is this a remake of the TV show from the Seventies?
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2018, 03:37 AM   #3
still not a stale muffin.
Administrator

paid
yes, but i gather from what i read that it’s more of a reimagining than a straight up remake. i haven’t seen the original.

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote