Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-08-2017, 09:15 PM   #16
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
One interesting (but not THAT surprising) conversation I've seen spring up this week is how churches should address security. I got an e-mail from our home church in NC (still on the list) informing the congregation that the elders were getting together to discuss ways to make the campus more secure. I've seen articles in several other places as well, asking if we should allow guns in church. I personally know of one congregation that has had a "security ministry" in place for several years. I also realize some of the really big churches have on campus security (even armed) and have for a long time.

I don't know...I'm just uneasy with the way some of these conversations are going.
My church has an organized security team, and Iím all for it, personally. Itís not just about the threat of an active shooter (which is decidedly low but catastrophic if it happens), but itís also to keep an eye on the kids, remove disorderly people, etc. Itís a good thing. Itís a pretty sizeable church, though, and not all churches have enough people to make a dedicated team, but there should be some discussion about security in any church, I believe.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #17
Sojourner
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGeek View Post
My church has an organized security team, and Iím all for it, personally. Itís not just about the threat of an active shooter (which is decidedly low but catastrophic if it happens), but itís also to keep an eye on the kids, remove disorderly people, etc. Itís a good thing. Itís a pretty sizeable church, though, and not all churches have enough people to make a dedicated team, but there should be some discussion about security in any church, I believe.
I guess this is truly a phenomenon that's unique to the United States.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #18
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
I guess this is truly a phenomenon that's unique to the United States.
I donít think it is, though. Certainly a church in the DRC would worry about security at their meetings. A church in London of large size would have (I would imagine) security teams. There have always been threats of danger around places of worship for any religion. I guess that whatís different in then US is the possibility of a shooting, remote as it is. I look at it as a case of preparing for the worst but hoping for the best.

I guess that, if one wants to consider the theological implications of preparing to use lethal force to defend people in church, that would be a good thread for Theology... Iíd be interested to see where that goes.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2017, 09:40 PM   #19
Sojourner
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGeek View Post
I donít think it is, though. Certainly a church in the DRC would worry about security at their meetings. A church in London of large size would have (I would imagine) security teams. There have always been threats of danger around places of worship for any religion. I guess that whatís different in then US is the possibility of a shooting, remote as it is. I look at it as a case of preparing for the worst but hoping for the best.

I guess that, if one wants to consider the theological implications of preparing to use lethal force to defend people in church, that would be a good thread for Theology... Iíd be interested to see where that goes.
Perhaps I should clarify and say that it's a "western" problem. I confess that I've never done the research but I've never heard this sort of thing in countries where the Church is severely persecuted and/or underground. Of course it's possible that citizens in those types of places aren't able to own guns in the first place.

I agree that the theological implications could be an interesting conversation. I don't know that I am quite ready to open that can of worms yet.

My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2017, 10:12 PM   #20
assistant regional mgr.

come on, Modlin, crank open Pandora's Box! because the discussion about antifa and the right wingers went pretty well...

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him." -Thomas Carlyle
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #21
Admemeistrator

paid
FWIW - I have a Serbian-American friend who regularly contrasts the gun-ownership culture in Serbia (second-highest gun ownership rate per capita after the USA) with 58 guns per 100 residents - with that of the USA. He thinks American gun culture is insane. And Serbia has far fewer gun homicides per capita than the US (3.5 gun related deaths per 100,000 people versus 10.5 for the US)

The tree of Eden once caused bitterness,
But the Tree of the Cross made sweetness of life to blossom!
In tasting the first, Adam fell into to corruption,
But as we eat the Body of Christ we are given life and mystically deified,
Receiving God's eternal Kingdom.
Therefore we cry out in faith:
Glory to Your suffering, Lord!

- from the service of Wednesday Matins

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote