Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #1

Spiritual Significance of Halloween

This might be borderline GD, it's been so long since I made threads I'm not even sure of the boundaries anymore.

Please let's not make this an uninformed or emotional debate, I'm here for genuine opinions with strong or logical reasoning, Biblically.

I grew up in a Christian home and I grew up participating in halloween every year, the costumes, the school do's, the trick or treating etc. We weren't allowed to dress up as witches or devil's or the like but we could dress up as basically whatever.

Since then my thoughts have changed I would say, I'm in my late 20's now and have had time to grow in my faith and as I've grown in my faith I've found myself departing from the world more and more in what I allow into my life. It's rather ironic that I've become more or less the conservative Christian I used to despise as a teenager, haha, but one of these changes is my stance on halloween.

I no longer endorse or participate in anyway with halloween, I do have candy if I get trick or treaters I suppose but I don't decorate or go to any parties or anything of the like. Why? I do personally believe in much of the evil associated and rooted within halloween, though much of that stance is due to a gradual unsettled feeling of halloween and the imagery and actions that take place on the day. What I used to consider good fun I now consider dark and completely dishonouring to Christ, but I will admit I have not done a lot of research on the topic other than several youtube videos, so my beliefs are mostly founded not necessarily on the origin of halloween but the clash between the call to live holy and what that looks like in scripture (read any Pauline letter for example) and the realities of what I see going on with halloween. I feel it's common sense at times, why would it honour God to dress up as cultures idea of a demon, or even a zombie (I know, I sound like a old order mennonite or something).

What are you honest thoughts on this?

Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-11-2017, 11:17 PM   #2
Admιnιstrator

I grew up with the oposite.

There was (and still is) a general consensus there that Halloween is evil. There was recently a singer (that lives in the US) that endorsed Halloween and became disliked by most Christians there.

My mother started giving out christian coloring books or comic books to the kid to decades or so ago. In the old days we wouldn't even answer the doorbell (would disconnect it that day).

What I feel now is a longer conversation. I will reply when I am back from work. I am already late
Giuseppe is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #3

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlessdog View Post
This might be borderline GD, it's been so long since I made threads I'm not even sure of the boundaries anymore.

Please let's not make this an uninformed or emotional debate, I'm here for genuine opinions with strong or logical reasoning, Biblically.

I grew up in a Christian home and I grew up participating in halloween every year, the costumes, the school do's, the trick or treating etc. We weren't allowed to dress up as witches or devil's or the like but we could dress up as basically whatever.

Since then my thoughts have changed I would say, I'm in my late 20's now and have had time to grow in my faith and as I've grown in my faith I've found myself departing from the world more and more in what I allow into my life. It's rather ironic that I've become more or less the conservative Christian I used to despise as a teenager, haha, but one of these changes is my stance on halloween.
Sounds a like great question.

I grew up with a fairly conservative Baptist family, and we didn't think much of Halloween's being scary or having other stuff associated with it. I remember, since I lived in Detroit, being told of "devil's night", which was the night before, where there was a lot of vandalism of property (breaking windows, smashing pumpkins, fighting foo, etc. etc.). I've since become much more conservative theologically (insofar as I care about being historically grounded to the true faith; not that I have become more "separatist").

Quote:
I no longer endorse or participate in anyway with halloween, I do have candy if I get trick or treaters I suppose but I don't decorate or go to any parties or anything of the like. Why? I do personally believe in much of the evil associated and rooted within halloween, though much of that stance is due to a gradual unsettled feeling of halloween and the imagery and actions that take place on the day. What I used to consider good fun I now consider dark and completely dishonouring to Christ, but I will admit I have not done a lot of research on the topic other than several youtube videos, so my beliefs are mostly founded not necessarily on the origin of halloween but the clash between the call to live holy and what that looks like in scripture (read any Pauline letter for example) and the realities of what I see going on with halloween. I feel it's common sense at times, why would it honour God to dress up as cultures idea of a demon, or even a zombie (I know, I sound like a old order mennonite or something).

What are you honest thoughts on this?
Here are some passages from Scripture to inform the discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossias2,16-23
16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. 17 These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. 18 Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind, 19 and not holding fast to the Head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God.

20 If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations— 21 “Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch” 22 (referring to things that all perish as they are used)—according to human precepts and teachings? 23 These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.
Paul writes here in the context of adding laws and going back to laws that aren't the gospel nor contribute holiness. (Obedience is an aspect of holiness, but imposing more laws is not.) It is interesting that those he has in view are those who think they can do whatever they want with their bodies (larger context, but it can also be gleaned from the phrase "sensuous mind"), and those who think they must regulate everything about their bodies. So, those who are licentious and those who are pedantic truncate or distort the gospel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans14,14-10
14 As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. 2 One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. 3 Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. 4 Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

5 One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. 8 For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

10 Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God
The larger context seems to be that we should be sensitive to those who have weaker faith. People with weak faith see everything as spiritually suspect and their conscience prevents them from partaking. They are tempted to pass judgment on their brothers and sisters who do participate. Those with strong faith recognize the real matter is not about the days or the food themselves (because God made all things good), but about the heart and motivation and goal (God's glory); but they may be tempted to look down on or pass judgment on people for being weak conscience and think themselves better than their weaker brothers and sisters.

There is a curious phrase, though, that makes me think my interpretation is wrong: Paul says "Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind."

There are other passages that might come in view, such as dining with demons and to abstain from witchcraft, but that's another point entirely. (I don't think Halloween as currently practiced is connected to the occult; and of those who do practice witchcraft around this day have deeper problems than the dress-up-and-distribute-candy day)

Last edited by athanatos; 10-18-2017 at 08:05 AM.
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote