Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-13-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
The Elephant in Your Room
 
Ben Toast's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: The Monks
Posts: 4,956
paid
NGD - Epi SG

Not too shabby. Was trying to sell my old GoPro stuff on LetGo and some guy offered me this on trade. He did have a mid-80s model gold-top LP (also Epi) that I would have taken over this, but it was in super rough shape and needed more work than it was worth. But, knowing these Epi SGs are pretty great to upgrade, that's what I plan to do with this: upgrade nut, pickups, and wiring configuration. As for now, some eye candy for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
002.jpg   003.jpg   004.jpg   005.jpg   007.jpg  


__________________
I hope that all is well in heaven, 'cause it's all shot to hell down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-13-2017, 11:11 PM   #2
\_(ツ)_/
 
Giuseppe's Avatar
 

Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Now look at this net!
Posts: 1,570
nice
__________________
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2017, 03:48 AM   #3
Registered User
 
mathminnick31's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Newton Falls, OH
Posts: 370
Congrats, nice axe. I like the SG's. What pups are you thinking of?
__________________
Love to play for Him
mathminnick31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
The Elephant in Your Room
 
Ben Toast's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: The Monks
Posts: 4,956
paid
Just ordered in a Seymour Duncan set. SH-1N '59 for the neck, and a TB-4 JB for the bridge. Need to find high quality switchable pots for coil tapping, and figure out how to wire a tone circuit bypass switch. Also need to find a black tusq nut. It already has Grover tuners so I don't think I'll need to replace those. I'm pretty stoked to mod this guitar. But as I've never done this before, does anyone have any advice / warnings?
__________________
I hope that all is well in heaven, 'cause it's all shot to hell down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...

Last edited by Ben Toast; 09-16-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2017, 05:22 AM   #5
Registered User
 
mathminnick31's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Newton Falls, OH
Posts: 370
Put some wet towels around the pocket when soldering, tin your wires with solder prior to making connections, remember when you take the strings off, the tailblock of the bridge can/will fall off so watch it doesn't scratch the body. Finally, with the nut, take the truss rod cover off before removing the old one. Be sure to get the new one to fit as squarely as you can in slot. I use the old one as a template and try to sand down the bottom of the new one prior to installing to get the height right--that way there should be virtually no slot filing to do once the new nut is in place.

As for anything else, always get the soldering iron to heat the contact point then add solder to that.

Nice choice of pups. Good luck!
__________________
Love to play for Him
mathminnick31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #6
Saved sinner
 
a.n.v.i.l.'s Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2012
Location: NE corner of the 4 corners
Posts: 118
Hey nice guitar! Enjoy the honeymoon stage and have fun doing all the upgrades. Are you planning on bringing the axe to church?
__________________
JESUS
saving people over 2000 years
a.n.v.i.l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
The Elephant in Your Room
 
Ben Toast's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: The Monks
Posts: 4,956
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathminnick31 View Post
Put some wet towels around the pocket when soldering, tin your wires with solder prior to making connections, remember when you take the strings off, the tailblock of the bridge can/will fall off so watch it doesn't scratch the body. Finally, with the nut, take the truss rod cover off before removing the old one. Be sure to get the new one to fit as squarely as you can in slot. I use the old one as a template and try to sand down the bottom of the new one prior to installing to get the height right--that way there should be virtually no slot filing to do once the new nut is in place.

As for anything else, always get the soldering iron to heat the contact point then add solder to that.

Nice choice of pups. Good luck!
I didn't think about the wet towel. That's a great idea. The nut is the only part that makes me nervous; soldering wires is easy. Getting a nut right is another story. I'm debating having the nut done professionally, though it's already on the way along with the 500k DPDT volume pots and the 500k no-load tone pots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.n.v.i.l. View Post
Hey nice guitar! Enjoy the honeymoon stage and have fun doing all the upgrades. Are you planning on bringing the axe to church?
Who knows, maybe someday?
__________________
I hope that all is well in heaven, 'cause it's all shot to hell down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:16 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2