Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Community > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-24-2017, 04:52 AM   #1
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Post a picture of your church.

I was reading one of the journal entries and it said that someone lived on the top story of his church, just trying to figure that out I realised that we must all attend different kinds of churches in different buildings. Post a picture of your current church or your old one...

Unread 08-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
Old School
Administrator

Woo
Attached Thumbnails
13071907_478864995652927_6173399852396268958_o.jpg  
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #3

Only half joking. I haven't been to church in a while. One of the reasons? I feel so much comradery and support from my brothers on the mats. So much more than I've ever felt from church members. I have a solid theory to explain this...maybe for another time. Anyway....here's my pic

jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
Obnoxodox

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood View Post
I was reading one of the journal entries and it said that someone lived on the top story of his church, just trying to figure that out I realised that we must all attend different kinds of churches in different buildings. Post a picture of your current church or your old one...
That'd be me.

My church worships in what used to be a Roman Catholic convent, and that was built over top of an over 100-year-old house (built in 1915). The 'wing', on the left side of the picture, is where the nuns lived, and was added later. The chapel, where all our services take place, is right underneath the wing.

We have a small residential community of mostly single young(ish) men who live in our church, as well as one married couple (and soon to be newborn baby) who live on the top floor of the original house, and our priest and his wife and children come to stay overnight with us whenever there is a service, since they live in a suburb that's about a 45 minute drive away.

All in all there are eight bedrooms. Nine if you count the married couple's camper-trailer in the backyard that they lived in until she was too pregnant to make living in a camper feasible, and ten if you count the fact that somebody can easily sleep on the couch in the living room. Push come to shove we could probably set up air mattresses in the basement too.

On major feasts, and especially at Pascha (Old-calendar Easter), we do have a full house We have members of our community who've moved out of town but a lot of them seem to want to come back to us for Pascha.

Before we took it over, the Roman Catholic church across the street, who own the building, basically weren't using it and were letting it fall into disuse.

If you look really closely, you can see a wooden three-bar cross in the top floor window. We can't very well put a big ol' onion dome on a building we don't own and that would be architecturally awkward anyway, so that's the best we can do for a visible sign of it being a church, other than the plaque on the gate saying "St. John of Shanghai Orthodox Church ... all welcome... service times"
Attached Thumbnails
15844521_1206118766091742_554161694475516514_o.jpg  

Last edited by IsaactheSyrian; 08-24-2017 at 11:45 AM.
IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
\_(ツ)_/

Our building is sooo ugly. Really ugly.
Unread 08-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #6

@IsaactheSyrian Do ya'll just rent living space and live everyday lives? Or is this a discipleship/training program? Seems like a really interesting way to live.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
I'm struggling to find an outside picture of my current church, lots of inside ones tho.
Unread 08-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #8
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
We meet at a high school.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #9

Ours is somewhat architecturally awkward, the result of several additions over the years. I absolutely love the church I'm at and thank God every day for leading us here.
Attached Thumbnails
screen-shot-2017-08-24-7.18.08-pm.jpg  
darfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2017, 07:07 PM   #10
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

My church is a big Morton building. We've been in this building for around 13 or 14 years I think, and before that we met in a high school. We are also blessed to have a pretty big chunk of land, which is awesome because that has gotten hard to come by in this area.
Attached Thumbnails
11200610_830221527072391_4925108646582042795_n.jpg  
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #11
Obnoxodox

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
@IsaactheSyrian Do ya'll just rent living space and live everyday lives? Or is this a discipleship/training program? Seems like a really interesting way to live.
The community of guys who live here (I'm there right now, though I live somewhere else most of the time) pretty much live every day lives and practice humility and brotherly love in learning to love one another through people's particular challenges (one resident is an alcoholic in recovery and the other has severe depression, for example). There is a requirement that anyone who rents be Orthodox or seriously interested in Orthodoxy, and the life in community - the ability to live where all of the Church's services happen - presents a really awesome opportunity to become part of the community in a way others aren't. But there's nothing formal - though we've been throwing around ideas for something formal for awhile now.

There is something like you describe at St. Silouan the Athonite Orthodox Church/St. John the Compassionate mission in Toronto. In addition to being a church, a bakery, and a homeless mission they also have living space for a small number of people for an urban mission school, the St. Maria of Paris Lived Theology School.

I've visited this church when I've been to Toronto. It's hands-down one of the coolest places I've ever seen.

Last edited by IsaactheSyrian; 08-25-2017 at 03:18 AM.
IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #12
assistant regional mgr.

my current church is nothing fantastic - but my childhood church, growing up, still takes my breath away, so I'll share some pics of its rather excellent stained glass.
Attached Thumbnails
img_2019-medium-.jpg   img_2032-medium-.jpg  

Awesome Blog
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote