Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #121

Tag,,, new breed needs mentors

Hey folks~

Remember that speed ain't everything. We have a young drummer in his early 20's,,, great chops, but not solid, nor does he know how to back-up singers. He wows his groupies, but has much to learn.

I interviewed a replacement drummer who could fly a million miles an hour,,, but he had all the musical nuances of a Studebaker. Couldn't play dynamics to save his life. Remember to give your notes their full value.

And to all you Pearl fans out there,,, just remember that there are a lot of great companys that have signature sounds & they're still around for a reason. Gretsch, Ludwig are making huge comebacks. DW & Sonor have always had sound. Don't get caught-up in the hype. The right instrument for the right room. Don't look at the entry-level crap,,, I mean their good stuff.

dwdrumz4God is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #122
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdrumz4God View Post
I have to go with Vinnie for now. These younger guys, although talented, can't compete with the masters. Now,,, what do you think defines a Master Drummer? (anyone who doesn't play Pearl) (kidding)
Welcome to the board! Vinnie is truly multi-dimensional and a world class Master Drummer as you say. I'm also looking forward to seeing Zoro this November.

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2006, 10:36 PM   #123

I live in Olympia (well, actually Lacey) & attend Church of Living Water.
I'm thinking about starting a drummer's home group. Only inviting all the drummers in the county. I come across a plethora of drummers that a) used to play in church, but now play in bars -or-
b)are surprised there are drums in church
c)don't think they can clean-up their act enough to go to church.

And there are a lot of young guys that just need a brother to talk to.
So we're going to have vittles, play a video and hang-out. But I''d like to bring in some older drummers that played in the 40's & 50's to share their legacys. And we'll talk about gear and why drum construction.

Are you playing now?
Unread 10-05-2006, 04:10 PM   #124
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
I live in Olympia (well, actually Lacey) & attend Church of Living Water.
I'm thinking about starting a drummer's home group. Only inviting all the drummers in the county. I come across a plethora of drummers that a) used to play in church, but now play in bars -or-
b)are surprised there are drums in church
c)don't think they can clean-up their act enough to go to church.

And there are a lot of young guys that just need a brother to talk to.
So we're going to have vittles, play a video and hang-out. But I''d like to bring in some older drummers that played in the 40's & 50's to share their legacys. And we'll talk about gear and why drum construction.

Are you playing now?
That's a neat ministry. I remember listening to Vinnie talk about his testimony and deliverance from drugs and alcohol which is another story. Actually, I'm a guitar player who has an appreciation for drummers. When I hear a class drummer like Carl Albrecht say that Vinnie's the best, his opinion means a lot to me.

Are you planning to go the the Christian Musicians' Summit in November at Overlake Christian Church?

Check this guy out:
Unread 10-05-2006, 04:34 PM   #125
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Jesse Sprinkle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Hunter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Poetic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_Old_Lu

i think his work speaks for itself...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #126
A simple guy

Most talented drummer

I'd have 2 say the most talented drummer is Aaron Gillespie. You know with singing and drummin' at the same time.

The best drummer is hard to choose, but it's gotta be some heavy metal ,double bass drummer I'd say.(Demon Hunter, Becoming The Archetype)
Adam K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2006, 05:01 PM   #127
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam K View Post
I'd have 2 say the most talented drummer is Aaron Gillespie. You know with singing and drummin' at the same time.

The best drummer is hard to choose, but it's gotta be some heavy metal ,double bass drummer I'd say.(Demon Hunter, Becoming The Archetype)
Jesse Sprinkle has also drummed and sang at the same time... neither Aaron Gillespie or Jesse are lead singers though, there are some bands that have lead singers who are drummers.. i'd say that between Aaron and Jesse, Jesse is the best...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2006, 09:26 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
That's a neat ministry. I remember listening to Vinnie talk about his testimony and deliverance from drugs and alcohol which is another story. Actually, I'm a guitar player who has an appreciation for drummers. When I hear a class drummer like Carl Albrecht say that Vinnie's the best, his opinion means a lot to me.

Are you planning to go the the Christian Musicians' Summit in November at Overlake Christian Church?

It depends on if I have college class or not. It's also right around elk season I think. Plus I have to be kinda free since we may be moving around then. Life shall be full. How's life up your way?
Music 6000 finally got some Gretsch kits. The young guys are surprised. I told 'em,,, listen to everything. I'll hopefully get the church to get something besides Pearl Masters for the new building. I'm trying to teach them to buy the best instrument for the room. Maybe Sonor, maybe Ludwig, maybe DW.

What do you play?
Unread 10-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #129
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
It depends on if I have college class or not. It's also right around elk season I think. Plus I have to be kinda free since we may be moving around then. Life shall be full. How's life up your way?
Music 6000 finally got some Gretsch kits. The young guys are surprised. I told 'em,,, listen to everything. I'll hopefully get the church to get something besides Pearl Masters for the new building. I'm trying to teach them to buy the best instrument for the room. Maybe Sonor, maybe Ludwig, maybe DW.

What do you play?
Sorry, since I play guitar, that's where I hang mostly. But, there is nothing like having a great drummer drive the music for me. That's why I've learned to appreciate them.

Check this guy out:
Unread 11-01-2006, 02:39 PM   #130
-

Send a message via AIM to ~FreT~ Send a message via MSN to ~FreT~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~FreT~
I've found the one: Darren King of Mute Math
~FreT~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #131

I like Jordan Mancino from As I Lay Dying and Aaron Gillespie from Underoath.
Ryu Habayusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #132
Just said something

Send a message via MSN to ice_wiz
I'd say guy from As I Lay Dying or guy from Becoming the Archetype.
Unread 11-26-2006, 06:21 PM   #133

Lester Estelle from Pillar, and Aaron Gillespie from Underoath. those are my favorite christian drummers ever. i wish i was as good as them.
drummer97g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 10:32 PM   #134

Send a message via AIM to Jaymze13
Ted Kirkpatrick of Tournequiet.
Jaymze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 10:41 PM   #135
"represent, GET CRUNK!!"

I think thats an almost impossible Q to A...

Demon Hunter's drummer or Anberlin's drummer....I really like Pillar's drummer. He's more a gospel rocker but he's really good too.

I've got no money, no car, no job... but I'm in a BAND!!

"Life is wasted if we do not grasp the glory of the cross, cherish it for the treasure that it is, and cleave to it as the highest price of every pleasure and the deepest comfort in every pain." -John Piper

What are you listening to right now?
|)rink)v(tn|)ew is offline   Reply With Quote