Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
...Jesus?
SporkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
ITALICS
Administrator

paid
I'm no longer surprised by the depths of racist, xenophobic hate so many people hold. I am still occasionally surprised at how open about it they are willing to be lately.

Predictably repulsed by Trump's refusal to specifically condemn white nationalism as well.
mtlmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #3
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Two Virginia State Police personnel were killed in a helicopter crash in relation to this activity. Just ugh. I can't stand this type of hatred. If this is "alt right," then I don't understand why anyone would support it.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #4
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Link:

http://wric.com/2017/08/12/emergency...arlottesville/

This whole situation is beyond comprehension.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
Unread 08-13-2017, 06:46 AM   #5
Old School
Administrator

Lord have mercy. Christ have mercy.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
Obnoxodox

paid
May the Lord beatify and give the deceased rest, and make their memory to be eternal.

We're having a real problem in some circles in the Orthodox Church in the American South - mostly affiliated with certain segments of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR) - with white nationalists. It's very sad to see, and making the rest of us shake our heads.

Matthew Heimbach (google him) is a white nationalist who converted to Orthodoxy within the Church of Antioch (the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of America under His Eminence, Metropolitan Joseph al-Zehlaoui). Shortly after his conversion, Antioch excommunicated him. But people associated with him keep popping up, mostly in ROCOR or in schismatic groups outside of canonical Orthodox churches. It's very sad.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2017, 05:22 PM   #7
whatsisthisidonteven

Her name is Heather Heyer.

She was 32. Killed because she refused to be silent against hatred and bigotry.
Quote:
...Jesus?
Unread 08-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #8
whatsisthisidonteven

....and now Trump is vigorously defending the Neo Nazis...Wow.
Quote:
...Jesus?
Unread 08-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #9
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkV View Post
....and now Trump is vigorously defending the Neo Nazis...Wow.
Not saying I don't believe you but can you post a link? I am honestly avoiding the news as much as possible.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2017, 10:57 PM   #10
whatsisthisidonteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
Not saying I don't believe you but can you post a link? I am honestly avoiding the news as much as possible.
Trump lashes out at 'alt-left' in Charlottesville, says 'fine people on both sides' - ABC News

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...db6_video.html

Trump Backtracks On Charlottesville: 'There's Blame On Both Sides' : NPR
Quote:
...Jesus?
Unread 08-17-2017, 06:10 AM   #11

I watched those videos. I missed the part where he was "vigorously" defending neo nazis. As far as pointing out that the left plays a part in this....the timing might be wrong, he might go about it clumsily, and it might be offensive to you...but he's not wrong.

Here's one thing thing that's driving me nuts. During the last administration there were multiple times terror related events occurred and Pres Obama would not say "Islamic" extremist or use other words that satisfied the right. All the conservatives would go nuts "he can't even name the enemy"..... Now after 8 years of the left defending Obama for the same thing they're going nuts referring to Trump, "he can't even name the enemy".

Sadly, I think our politicians and leaders are becoming less and less concerned with right and wrong and more concerned with winning and losing political battles.

One thing both sides of protesters did have in common....they're just pawns for the political ruling class.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #12

The truth is that both sides are to blame. They are children throwing temper tantrums. People say that the alt-r8ght is racist and violent but they would spew their garbage and go home without the other side. There is article after article about the alt left following them through the street trying for a fight. They are two sides of the same coin. Both are filled with hate and neither side is in the right.
tlj009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2017, 01:44 AM   #13
Obnoxodox

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlj009 View Post
The truth is that both sides are to blame. They are children throwing temper tantrums. People say that the alt-r8ght is racist and violent but they would spew their garbage and go home without the other side. There is article after article about the alt left following them through the street trying for a fight. They are two sides of the same coin. Both are filled with hate and neither side is in the right.
Uhh, what? Being angry about Nazis openly marching in the streets is unjustifiable?

That's dumb. Sorry, but I can't be nicer about that.

Also, the alt-left is not a thing. Stop listening to Trump's lies.

Unread 08-19-2017, 01:49 AM   #14
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaactheSyrian
Uhh, what? Being angry about Nazis openly marching in the streets is unjustifiable? That's dumb. Sorry, but I can't be nicer about that.
He didn't say that, so please tone down a little bit. Maybe I'm missing something from his post, but it looks to be more of a statement about both people who are radically pushing for a rightward agenda and people who are radically pushing for a leftward agenda.

Unread 08-19-2017, 01:59 AM   #15
Obnoxodox

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGeek View Post
He didn't say that, so please tone down a little bit. Maybe I'm missing something from his post, but it looks to be more of a statement about both people who are radically pushing for a rightward agenda and people who are radically pushing for a leftward agenda.
The only 'leftward agenda' I can see here is literally just 'stop beating up black people' though. It's not like people are pushing to implement fully-automated luxury gay space communism.

Basically, there's a lot of false equivalencies going down in this thread.

One side, at worst, wanted to pull down a statue that symbolized a history of oppression. I can totally sympathize with it. Germany doesn't have statues of Nazis in the town squares - the fact that America still has statues of Confederate generals who openly supported treating black people as property in its town squares is totally baffling - they'd freak out if a German town erected a statue of Adolf Eichmann. And sorry, I've got no time for the argument that the Civil War was about 'States Rights'. Actually, I grant that readily - but the right under dispute was the supposed right to own slaves.

The other side were literal neo-Nazis who ran a woman over, killing her.

Human life is precious. Hierarchies of values are a thing. Please stop making false equivalencies. Our forefathers died fighting these people in World War II, and some of you all sound like you want to give them quarter in 2017.

I don't see why this is hard.

Last edited by IsaactheSyrian; 08-19-2017 at 02:13 AM.