Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #1

Granted Repentance Unto Life

In this thread I would like to discuss about all things repentance. I would like to hear your views on repentance, the importance of it, whether you believe it is or isn't necessary for salvation, whether you believe true repentance is an act of God in the life of a believer or the act of man, whether or not man has the ability to repent of his sins on his own, what happens if any person (a person who is supposed to be a believer or an outright unbeliever) dies in an unrepentant state, what repentance means to you, and what this looks like in the life of a believer.

The title of this thread is based off of Acts 11:18.

Acts 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

I believe repentance is a very important subject which is often ignored by many. The first recorded preaching of the Messiah in the Gospels, was a call to repentance.

I believe the Scriptures are the inspired word of God, which carry authority, so here is a short list of Scriptures, which is by no means an exhaustive list, related to repentance.

Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Mark 1:15 and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.”

Matthew 11:20-29 20 Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not: 21 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. 22 But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you. 23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. 24 But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee.

Luke 13:3,5 3 I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. 5 I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”

Luke 15:10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repents.

Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Mark 6:12 And they went out, and preached that men should repent.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 3:19 Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord,

Acts 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commands all men every where to repent:

Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

More Scripture related to repentance is gladly welcomed, from the Old and New Testaments, to support whatever position you take. Ezekiel chapter 18 is also another great chapter related to repentance.

2I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3For, being ignorant of the righteousness that comes from God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness. 4For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.[a]

Romans 9:30-33

30What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith; 31but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousness[d] did not succeed in reaching that law. 32Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone, 33as it is written, "Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense; and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame."

Last edited by Daniel21TX; 07-22-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Daniel21TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #2
Lo, He comes...

paid
I think the texts you've furnished paint a pretty clear picture that repentance is required for salvation.

What is repentance? It is a change of heart/mind - a metanoia.- away from whatever is keeping us away from union with God, including a lack of belief in Him and His Christ, and towards God. Since salvation is fundamentally nothing else than union with God in Jesus Christ, repenting of our sins is pretty much what our salvation consists of.

Lo! How a rose e'er blooming from tender stem hath sprung,
Of Jesse's lineage coming, as seers of old hath sung,
It came a flower bright, amid the cold of winter,
When half-spent was the night.

Isaiah t'was foretold it, the rose I have in mind,
With Mary we behold it, the Virgin Mother kind,
To show God's love aright, she bore to us a Saviour,
When half-spent was the night.

O flower whose fragrance tender with gladness fills the air,
Dispel with glorious speldour the darkness everywhere,
True man, yet very God! From sin and death He saves us,
And lightens every load.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
I think Isaac is right.

Almost 500 years ago (499 years, 8 months...), we got this nugget on repentance:

“When our Lord and Master Jesus Christ said, ‘Repent,’ he willed the entire life of believers to be one of repentance.” – Martin Luther, the first of the 95 Theses

What is meant in part is that repentance is not merely at conversion or connected only to proselytizing, but all of life as you continue to follow Christ's lead and imitate Him, you ought also to continue to repent and progress in repenting of the sins underneath the sins you see.

They want to stop the ones who want
Prosthetic foreheads on their heads
But everybody wants prosthetic
Foreheads on their real heads

We Want a Rock, They Might Be Giants

Hidden?
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2017, 01:02 AM   #4
Lo, He comes...

paid
Luther got a few things right.

Lo! How a rose e'er blooming from tender stem hath sprung,