Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Current Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Trump vs CNN Tweet

A few days ago Donald Trump tweeted a gif made over a year ago by a Reddiit user, thought it was augmented slightly.

Since then there has been near unanimous outrage from either side of the ideological divide. Firstly because the gif was interpreted as advocating violence against journalists, something that journalists are extremely sensitive about for obvious reasons.

But, the story unfolded further. The reddit user left a clear paper trail and CNN was able to track him down, threatening to dox him if he continued to act in a like manner online. He peppered sub-threads on reddit with anti-semitic, homicidal, and racist speech.

Obviously, CNN's actions are problematic.

What do you all think of this unfolding fiasco?

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #2
Old School
Administrator

I just became aware of it a couple of hours ago. I haven't looked too deeply into it.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

The rumors I'm hearing have said he's a 15 year old boy. Has anyone seen any actual sources confirming this?
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
The rumors I'm hearing have said he's a 15 year old boy. Has anyone seen any actual sources confirming this?
I haven't heard that, but I could be behind on everything.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
I'm familiar with the story somewhat, but I'm not sure what it means to "dox" someone? Help?

Wouldn't shock me if it were a 15yr old. Honestly, though, I think the tweet itself is pretty boring news, but for the fact that it further validates the feeling that our president is distinctly unpresidential.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2017, 01:45 PM   #6
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Doxing, as I understand it, is taking a person's personal information and publishing it online, generally with malicious intent.

I'm thinking the 15-year-old thing is just hearsay, as I haven't seen anyone produce a source yet for that info. Still a pretty messed up situation.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
I have heard/seen nothing about this. Perhaps I should follow through and say nothing about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
Basically... run.

paid
If only CNN put as much effort into their journalism this entire year as they put into this one GIF this week alone...

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
assistant regional mgr.

I've been pseudo following this one, mostly because it reinforces my belief that first amendment free speech is generally being limited by mob mentality. Taking several incidents over the past few years, regardless of which side of the aisle, the media has ruined lives of people based on what they have said online. Taking the left-wing Chick Fil A drive through dude as an example, he is still unemployed and has contemplated suicide to escape the hell he is in. The mob mentality approach is something I find troubling and frightening. In this specific case, the media went after this individual and by the looks of it, threatened to do the same to him. He recanted and repented and said whatever they wanted him to say, publicly, to get them off the back. I personally don't think that is going to last, but that's just me. If he is indeed underage, that would at least fit why the media - out for blood - suddenly decided to stop destroying his life.

All over a silly gif?

I am in no way supportive of the current political administration. But I don't for a second believe that this silly gif was inciting violence against anyone. I also don't for a second think reposting that gif on Twitter was in any way presidential. The level to which our country has sunk - between the White House and the media - leaves me feeling rather sick. The bar is so low, with some sort of reciprocated silly "how low can we go" game. It keeps getting worse and worse.

Anyhow, my two cents. I in no way endorse violence against anyone. And I in no way support the current administration. Nor do I support any form of Pro Wrestling as a legitimate sport. Except for the Macho Man Randy Savage, he was pretty cool.

Awesome Blog
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2017, 01:18 AM   #10

First of all, I'd say that interpreting the gif as "advocating violence against journalist" is a HUGE stretch. CNN has hit some bumps in the road on their way to discrediting the president lately. Maybe they were just a little annoyed by this?

Secondly, I think they were under the impression that the dislike for this president was so universal and the stigma of supporting him was so negative that they thought they could bully someone into falling in line with the threat of outing them and the rest of the internet community would just go along with it. That seems like a rambling run on sentence......

And thirdly, this president combined with the current political climate and the state of the media is going to be a disaster for America. I think over the last decade or so the lines of division have grown and now we're throwing gasoline on the fire.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote