Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Sports & Outdoors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-27-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
is still learning...

John McEnroe/Serena Williams

Many of you have probably already heard about the controversy stirred, when John mentioned that Serena is the best woman tennis player of all time, and when the interviewer asked why he qualified it with "woman" he said if she played on the circuit should would rank something like 500th or something.

I am reminded of the old "Battle of the Sexes" match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs. I wonder why this message seems to usually involve the sport of tennis? I also wonder (if you know please educate me) if women are able to enter matches against the men players. Just a couple of years ago it was fairly well noted that the PGA has no restrictions on players eligible to compete for a tour card, and sponsor exemptions can allow for female players to compete (and have).

While I am old enough to remember the Billie Jean King/Bobby Riggs match, what many fail to mention was Riggs completely dominated another professional woman player, Margret Court, prior to the much-hyped match with King. In fact, it was that victory by Riggs that spurred King into accepting the challenge to play the 55 year old.

What are your thoughts about the subject?

TunerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-28-2017, 05:39 AM   #2
Old School
Administrator

I can honestly say that I have no thoughts on the subject. I wasn't aware of McEnroe's comments before seeing this thread. I did find this.

Men versus Women Tennis
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
is still learning...

I think McEnroe was baited a bit in the interview. He said she was the greatest female tennis player of all time, but the interviewer pressed further and asked why he qualified it. I've learned since that the games are quite different, using different balls, and men playing 5 sets each match to 3 for female. I guess I just don't understand why there seems to be some need to revisit this gender based 'controversy', especially in tennis.

I don't feel sorry for John, as he's no stranger to controversy, and usually self induced, ha ha
Unread 06-29-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
In a later interview McEnroe said that if he were still playing he would be ranked about 1200.

and he just put a new book out, so I'm sure he at least partially sees this as calculated.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Yeah, it was certainly calculated. And his saying he would be ranked about 1200 was, of course, completely underreported.
Unread 07-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #6
is still learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
In a later interview McEnroe said that if he were still playing he would be ranked about 1200.

and he just put a new book out, so I'm sure he at least partially sees this as calculated.
I understand the interview was scheduled to obviously promote the book, but the line of questioning was all from the reporter, and I certainly don't think he had any notion that she would pursue the gender based evaluation. He had already stated that Serena was the greatest female player of all time, no doubt. The interviewer took umbrage on the qualifier "female", and asked for his reasons. Had she moved on to other questions, there is no doubt the entire interview would have been forgotten. So, in effect, controversy swirled, more interviews ensued, and he will likely sell a few more books. Not sure it was calculated by him, but fairly sure he doesn't mind it, when it's all said and done.
Unread 07-06-2017, 11:30 PM   #7

News flash: Men and women are different. A mans muscle mass, bone structure, and testosterone levels are going to help him be a more powerful athlete than his female counterpart. This in no way makes the male athlete better than the female, but it would certainly help the male athlete beat the female athlete in any head to head athletic exhibition.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #8
assistant regional mgr.

Another news flash: the media needs sensational stories and pseudo outrages to sell their wares. Darwinian survival of the fittest at its finest.

Awesome Blog
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote