Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Current Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-07-2017, 04:23 AM   #1
Old School
Administrator

Terrorist Attacks In Iran

Iran attacks: Twin assaults on parliament and shrine rock Tehran - CNN.com

My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-08-2017, 12:39 AM   #2
Obnoxodox

paid
Lord have mercy.

I have quite a number of Muslim friends, and one of the things they tell me they wish people understood is that most Muslims hate Daesh ('ISIS/ISIL') more than anyone, as Muslims are most of the people they kill. It's just that their martyrdom of Christians gets more press because it tends to be much more dramatic (viz. the execution of Copts on a beach, bombing a church in Cairo on Palm Sunday).

I'm also not surprised this happened. Iran is a Shi'a Muslim country - to Daesh, who follow Sunni Islam (a particularly nasty form of it, Wahhabism/Salafism), the Iranians and their regime are arch-heretics.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2017, 10:03 AM   #3
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
As one a little bit ignorant to ISIS' targets, I was a bit surprised to hear about this. I haven't heard of many terrorist attacks in Iran. Terrible situation .

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGeek View Post
As one a little bit ignorant to ISIS' targets, I was a bit surprised to hear about this. I haven't heard of many terrorist attacks in Iran. Terrible situation .
This quote from the linked article might shed some light.

The Parliament, the Islamic Consultative Assembly or Majlis, is Iran's principal legislative body. It has 290 members, including women, and there are representatives of religious minorities including Christians, Zoroastrians and Jews.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #5
Obnoxodox

paid
The thing is, a lot of folks don't realize that as Islamic states go, Iran is actually quite liberal, and has been getting increasingly moreso after the defeat of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as president and the election of Hassan Rouhani, who has a reputation as a bit of a reformist (though how much that's actually the case is very debatable). Compared to Saudi Arabia, Iran is a paradise of liberality. They tolerate Christians and Jews, who are permitted to worship freely, drink alcohol and raise pigs (though proselytization is forbidden, which is an issue for Christians because tellin' folks about Jesus is kinda important to us ). Women don't have to cover their faces (just their hair), and can drive and go to university - and Iran actually has some fine ones - and even become doctors. I have an Iranian friend who's mother is an anaesthesiologist - the tricky thing is Canada doesn't recognize her credentials or her medical residency, hence if she wanted to practise in Canada she'd have to re-do her residency, so she often goes back and forth between Vancouver and Tehran.

Vancouver has, so I've heard, the second-highest population of Iranians in North America after San Francisco, so it's pretty impossible to live here for awhile and not know a few.

All the above, and the fact that Iranian troops are actually involved in the fight against Daesh/ISIL, would make them a target.

Unread 06-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
Obnoxodox

paid
By the way, in case anyone is curious about my use of the word 'Daesh' - it's an acronym in Arabic (for 'al-Dawla al-Islammiya fi'l Iraq ash-Sham', literally, 'The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant) it's what my Arab friends call ISIL. There are good reasons for that, and I'd encourage everyone to use the Arabic acronym instead of the English one, because it really pisses them (the terrorists) off

What does Daesh mean? ISIS 'threatens to cut out the tongues' of anyone using this word - Mirror Online