Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
Sabbath - still for Christians to obey, in some sense?

Sabbath is given with a blessing and made holy at creation, before the fall.

Moses's 4th commandment gives a much fuller statement, which includes not working and not compelling anyone else to work (within your household or elsewhere -- not even slave or even a gentile). In addition to the fact that the Sabbath was instituted before Moses and Abraham, the fact that Gentiles would not be compelled to work by the Jews is supposed to be evidence that the Sabbath is not Mosaic but rather a "creation ordinance", to be obeyed in perpetuity in some sense.

We are given word that Sabbath can be "broken" insofar as acts of mercy and works of necessity trump the express prohibition against employment. That is, the police, chefs, and deacons can all be working on the Sabbath. Emergencies don't get dropped on the Sabbath.

When Jesus runs into issues regarding Sabbath obedience, these are the kinds of things neglected in favor of Sabbath keeping. Jesus says repeatedly that they are missing the point.

Okay, so there's a couple more places where we see not to judge or be compelled according to "sabbaths". This has often been taken to mean the weekly Sabbath is in view, but in context that doesn't seem like the strongest reading. It seems that the sabbaths in view are mosaic.

With that in mind, how should we understand the Biblical teaching of the Sabbath obedience?

I think almost everyone here is of the mind that there is no need to obey the Sabbath, with some hermeneutic of "if it isn't restated in the NT, then i don't have to obey it" ...

I feel convicted that I ought to obey the Sabbath ordinance in some way, but I am trying to best understand: how do you reason? Is this something you don't take into consideration, except in cases of when your employer wants to schedule you on Sunday mornings?

They want to stop the ones who want
Prosthetic foreheads on their heads
But everybody wants prosthetic
Foreheads on their real heads

We Want a Rock, They Might Be Giants

Hidden?
athanatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
Auntie Becky

Send a message via AIM to Becky
I think this is a complicated question because there are multiple levels of answers. Jesus made it clear that the Sabbath was never intended to turn into a burden, or to prevent good works being done. It was simply a day of resting.
Paul goes further to say that keeping the sabbath is not required, but also should not be a source of contention between believers.

The scripture does give us plenty of guidance for resting though. It is important to take time to rest.

So, i conclude, though it is just an extrapolation
based on the scriptures about the Sabbath, that observing or not observing is a personal choice, and not one to be judged one way or the other.
Unread 06-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
by hope we steer

I don't really have any specific Bible verses to back up what my views are - rather, a working consciousness of what I think is the spirit of the law, so to speak.

I understand the Sabbath as something that separates Christians from "the world" by reminding them of their creatureliness and placing themselves back within the world as God intended. It's a time that I can say, "God, you are in charge of all things including those which wield power and control over many aspects of my life (culture, schedule, work, government, etc.). This is my reminder to myself AND to those powers and principalities."

My sabbath is my time to not let the world dictate my life.

When it happens is a moot point because the reality in which I'm placed (nation, time, society, economy) does still dictate when I'm able to do it. However, it's my attitude towards making sure that it does happen at some point that is the point.
Almost Enough is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2017, 10:08 AM   #4

The Messiah spoke of end time believers who would be living during the great tribulation, as though He expected for His followers to be keeping the Sabbath.

Matthew 24:20-22
20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

I don't judge others who don't. I don't think I keep it perfectly.. but I remember the Sabbath and I set it apart as Holy and distinct from every other day.

You alluded to the many passages in the old testament, which make it clear it was intended to be an everlasting covenant. As a child of the most High YHWH, bought by the blood of the Lamb, grafted into the olive tree, no longer an alien to the prophets and the promises and the covenants, I am a child of Israel, a child of Abraham and I read the whole bible as it is for me, because it is. So when I read "observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant." I believe it. When I see the Messiah talking about His end time believers and how He expected for us to be remembering and keeping the Sabbath, I take His words very seriously.

You also alluded to the new testament passages many jump to, in order to try and dismiss the Sabbath as optional. I am going to go with the word of the Messiah and how he spoke of His end time followers as Sabbath keepers, who should pray that our flight not be in the winter or on the Sabbath, because it sounds like it may be a long rough flight, and we will be able to use the rest and better climate conditions would be ideal.

The Sabbath is not to be burdensome. It is for our own good. It sounds like we may need that rest one day, if we are among those living during the great tribulation, who take flight during that next great exodus (Revelation 12:6,14, Jeremiah 16:14-15, Isaiah 43:5-9, Isaiah 43:16-20, Exodus 19:4, Mikah 7:14-15, Isaiah 35:1-2).

2I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3For, being ignorant of the righteousness that comes from God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness. 4For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.[a]

Romans 9:30-33

30What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith; 31but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousness[d] did not succeed in reaching that law. 32Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone, 33as it is written, "Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense; and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame."
Daniel21TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #5
Lo, He comes...

paid
The Sabbath that Christians observe is not the Sabbath of the old Law, which has passed away, but that of the New Covenant, in which God is making all things new on the first day of the new creation by His trampling down Death by death, bestowing life to those in the tombs.

Why would you not set it aside, to the greatest extent possible, from unnecessary work in order to worship the living God and fellowship with His people?

Lo! How a rose e'er blooming from tender stem hath sprung,
Of Jesse's lineage coming, as seers of old hath sung,
It came a flower bright, amid the cold of winter,
When half-spent was the night.

Isaiah t'was foretold it, the rose I have in mind,
With Mary we behold it, the Virgin Mother kind,
To show God's love aright, she bore to us a Saviour,

O flower whose fragrance tender with gladness fills the air,
Dispel with glorious speldour the darkness everywhere,
True man, yet very God! From sin and death He saves us,
And lightens every load.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaactheSyrian View Post
The Sabbath that Christians observe is not the Sabbath of the old Law, which has passed away, but that of the New Covenant, in which God is making all things new on the first day of the new creation by His trampling down Death by death, bestowing life to those in the tombs.

Why would you not set it aside, to the greatest extent possible, from unnecessary work in order to worship the living God and fellowship with His people?
Oh man, no matter what your theological stripe, you should at least be excited and want this to be right tack. Hear, hear!

Hidden?
Unread 07-03-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
Lo, He comes...

paid
Frankly, I can't believe nobody has made a big deal out of this in this thread yet. The Christian Sabbath is, at least in my view, related to the Jewish one only in that the Jewish Sabbath was a type and shadow of the Christian one. The Jews worshipped on the Sabbath in which Christ lay in the tomb, trampling down the gates of Hades by His power and bringing life to those entombed. Basically, they are as like those who go down into the pit, who were waiting for the good news...

Christians worship on the Sabbath in which He actually rose from the dead, and brought the good news, and began re-making the Kosmos itself. And it changes everything.

Lo! How a rose e'er blooming from tender stem hath sprung,
Of Jesse's lineage coming, as seers of old hath sung,
It came a flower bright, amid the cold of winter,

Isaiah t'was foretold it, the rose I have in mind,
With Mary we behold it, the Virgin Mother kind,
To show God's love aright, she bore to us a Saviour,

O flower whose fragrance tender with gladness fills the air,
Dispel with glorious speldour the darkness everywhere,
True man, yet very God! From sin and death He saves us,
And lightens every load.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #8
assistant regional mgr.

I've always heard it taught in my circles that Paul indicates there is no day that is holier than any other day, including festivals, sacred days, and sabbath. that the judaic sabbath was a shadow of Christ, who is our true, eternal rest / sabbath. I don't have a ton of verses to stand on, it's just what I've always heard. that said, we try to keep Sunday as a day of relative rest, recuperation, worship, and fellowship. it should be rather obvious that we are not strict sabbitarians or seven day adventists.

*edit*
also, that said, I don't believe I'm to look down on others who are convicted otherwise, much in the same way as meat sacrificed to idols.

Awesome Blog

Last edited by Dwight Schrute; 07-03-2017 at 06:52 PM. Reason: additional thought
Dwight Schrute is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
Deets Go Here

If you're looking for a devout Sabbath keeper and a devout Christian doctor, let's hope you do not get sick on the Sabbath.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #10
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan007 View Post
If you're looking for a devout Sabbath keeper and a devout Christian doctor, let's hope you do not get sick on the Sabbath.
The most devout Sabbath keeper has never been under the obligation not to get medical help. The Westminster Confession of Faith (1646) and 2nd London Baptist Confession of Faith (1689), some of the oldest protestant confessions/statements of doctrine understand that "works of necessity" and acts of "mercy" are not at all prohibited, just as pulling an ox out of a pit is not prohibited.

Luke 14:5
Then he asked them, "If one of you has a child or an ox that falls into a well on the Sabbath day, will you not immediately pull it out?" (NIV)

This is the reason why Jesus could heal on the Sabbath, pluck heads of grain on the Sabbath, etc.

Hidden?