Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
:D

Thumbs up Frendly Linux thread

The Linux sticky is very old (a little over 11 years), and some parts of the OP are kind of inaccurate, so I felt like I should make a new one, rather than adding to it.

So anyway, this is the new Linux thread. As with the old one, there are no dumb questions, as long as you make an effort.

"Why should I use Linux over Windows/macOS?"
1. 99% of Linux distributions are free.Not just free as in no cost, but unlike Windows and macOS, they give you the freedom of choice.
2. Linux is often faster and more stable than Windows. That's not to say that it will never crash, but if something goes wrong, there's a decent chance it was your fault. Because of that, it's often easier (and cheaper) to fix than when something in Windows goes catastrophically wrong.
3. Choice is a major aspect of Linux (and other Free OSs) that Windows and macOS lack, or don't have nearly as much of. And I don't just mean the ability to change your wallpaper or some colors, but the very way that your user interface functions. There are tons and tons of different desktop environments and window managers that you can change on a whim. I attached some screenshots of different desktop environments.
4. In addition to stability and speed, Linux tends to be more safe than Windows. That doesn't mean that there aren't any viruses or malware, but they're much less common, and when they do show up, they're usually quickly secured by the international community, not just a comparatively small group of developers.
5. You don't have to leave Windows to use Linux. I have Linux installed on this computer, but I'm booted into Windows right now. There's also the option of installing it in a virtual machine, which is a little bit like an emulator.

"Don't I have to be a programmer?"
Not at all! You don't need to know a single thing about programming in order to use Linux, and while being a little familiar with the command line might help in some cases, it's extremely rarely necessary.

"Can I still use my programs?"
A lot of programs, like Firefox, Google Chrome, Drobox, Spotify, Skype, Discord, and many others have Linux versions, and many other programs have alternatives that work just as well.

"What distribution should I start out with?"
There are many different Linux distributions, or distros, each tailored to a different audience and/or a different purpose. Ubuntu and Linux Mint are popular newbie distros, although there are others.

"So how do I install it?"
The details can differ somewhat from distro to distro, although the general process is relatively similar, so I'll deal with that later in the thread if newbies have any trouble or questions.
When you want to install Windows (and possibly macOS, I'm not sure), you get an install disk, pop it in, reboot, and follow the prompts for it to install. The process is a bit more involved in Linux, but even then, it isn't too bad.
Most Linux distros are downloaded as a disk image (.iso file) which you would burn to a cd and boot. You can also use a USB drive and boot from that for added convenience.

If you like documentaries, you can watch this for more info on Linux and the free software movement in general. It's pretty interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw8K460vx1c

Also, Arch Linux is best Linux
Attached Thumbnails
38802e45-fb4b-4796-8d21-f1ec79002b95.png   cinnamon.jpg   gnome-3-using.jpg   kde430-desktop.png   screenshot-xfce.jpg  

Eggbertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
Basically... run.

paid
Hey, great thread! But I'm going to have to gripe a couple of comments. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggbertx View Post
2. Linux is often faster and more stable than Windows. That's not to say that it will never crash, but if something goes wrong, there's a decent chance it was your fault. Because of that, it's often easier (and cheaper) to fix than when something in Windows goes catastrophically wrong.
Unless you have dedicated graphics, then it's a mixed bag. :P Also cheaper is relative.
I'd say I've also had random crashes from various distros for arbitrary reasons (mostly Ubuntu though).

Quote:
5. You don't have to leave Windows to use Linux. I have Linux installed on this computer, but I'm booted into Windows right now. There's also the option of installing it in a virtual machine, which is a little bit like an emulator.
Also Wine. But there are good reasons you may still need Windows installed (e.g. Adobe products, newer games, etc.). But for most end users: not really.

Quote:
"So how do I install it?"
The details can differ somewhat from distro to distro, although the general process is relatively similar, so I'll deal with that later in the thread if newbies have any trouble or questions.
When you want to install Windows (and possibly macOS, I'm not sure), you get an install disk, pop it in, reboot, and follow the prompts for it to install. The process is a bit more involved in Linux, but even then, it isn't too bad.
Most Linux distros are downloaded as a disk image (.iso file) which you would burn to a cd and boot. You can also use a USB drive and boot from that for added convenience.
Just be sure you're carefully following instructions. There is a chance you can lose everything if you don't know what you're doing.

Quote:
Also, Arch Linux is best Linux
Citation needed.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
Unless you have dedicated graphics, then it's a mixed bag. :P Also cheaper is relative.
I'd say I've also had random crashes from various distros for arbitrary reasons (mostly Ubuntu though).
True, I guess I should have worded that a little bit more carefully. It's also partially why I included the comic.
Quote:
Also Wine. But there are good reasons you may still need Windows installed (e.g. Adobe products, newer games, etc.). But for most end users: not really.
Of course, which is why I mentioned that I still use Windows.
Quote:
Just be sure you're carefully following instructions. There is a chance you can lose everything if you don't know what you're doing.
Well yeah, that's a given.
Quote:
Citation needed.
Arch's awesomeness speaks for itself.
Unread 05-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggbertx View Post
True, I guess I should have worded that a little bit more carefully. It's also partially why I included the comic.
I didn't see that earlier either.

Quote:
Of course, which is why I mentioned that I still use Windows.
And I completely misread it.

Quote:
Well yeah, that's a given.
You're overestimating the average user.

Quote:
Arch's awesomeness speaks for itself.
Citation needed.

(Also sorry if that came off as me having a go at you, I was just offering my view to how that read. Totally didn't mean it to come off that way)

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #5

You didn't come of as being critical at all, and I appreciate your input.

Tags
free software, linux, open source