Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Secular Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-18-2017, 04:47 AM   #1
Old School
Administrator

R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Chris Cornell, Soundgarden and Audioslave Frontman, Dies at 52

Last edited by Leboman; 05-19-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #2
Old School
Administrator

Police are saying that they are investigating it as a suicide.

A depressing story gets more depressing.
Unread 05-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
I need a bigger car!

Saw the news on my Facebook timeline, and because I've seen a lot of troll posts on there that say someone died when they actually didn't, I didn't believe it at first and went to go research it. Was surprised to find out it was true.

The man was a real legend. Very sad.
DKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
is blessed beyond measure

Send a message via AIM to tigerfan88 Send a message via MSN to tigerfan88 Send a message via Yahoo to tigerfan88
Heartbreaking news. I was actually at the show last night. No signs whatsoever of this happening--he seemed in good spirits, was high fiving the crowd frequently, and sounded great to my ears. RIP.

My Gear:
Agile AL-2000 | Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic | Johnson Strat Copy | J.B. Player Professional Series Bass (somewhat modified) | Vox AD50VT 212 | Acoustic B20 Bass Amp | Vox V847| Danelectro Fab Distortion

My Blog | Tech Support for Lots of Devices
tigerfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKelly View Post
Saw the news on my Facebook timeline, and because I've seen a lot of troll posts on there that say someone died when they actually didn't, I didn't believe it at first and went to go research it. Was surprised to find out it was true.

The man was a real legend. Very sad.
I do my best to verify things before I share it here. I hated it.
Unread 05-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan88 View Post
Heartbreaking news. I was actually at the show last night. No signs whatsoever of this happening--he seemed in good spirits, was high fiving the crowd frequently, and sounded great to my ears. RIP.
Wow. That ended up being a historic concert.
Unread 05-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to tigerfan88 Send a message via MSN to tigerfan88 Send a message via Yahoo to tigerfan88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
Wow. That ended up being a historic concert.
It was a little freaky. Toward the end of the night he said how the Detroit crowd was so good and that he felt bad for the next city they played....that they should have been at this concert. At the time, we thought he was just complimenting the fans as musicians normally do at shows, but looking back...super weird.

My Gear:
Agile AL-2000 | Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic | Johnson Strat Copy | J.B. Player Professional Series Bass (somewhat modified) | Vox AD50VT 212 | Acoustic B20 Bass Amp | Vox V847| Danelectro Fab Distortion

Unread 05-19-2017, 04:36 AM   #8

This is a tough one, really struggling
aljb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2017, 05:42 AM   #9
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
It was a little freaky. Toward the end of the night he said how the Detroit crowd was so good and that he felt bad for the next city they played....that they should have been at this concert. At the time, we thought he was just complimenting the fans as musicians normally do at shows, but looking back...super weird.

Wow.
Unread 05-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljb17 View Post
This is a tough one, really struggling
Me too. It's really set in today, moreso than yesterday, that he's gone. Watching and listening to all the tributes. Such a loss. Such a shock.

My Gear:

Unread 05-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
Old School
Administrator

Chris Cornell's family: Prescription drugs may have contributed to singer's suicide - NME
Unread 05-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #12
Old School
Administrator

Chris Cornell's Final Performance: Something Clearly Wasn't Right
Unread 05-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #13
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Me too. It's really set in today, moreso than yesterday, that he's gone. Watching and listening to all the tributes. Such a loss. Such a shock.
That last article I linked suggests that it was obvious he was struggling. Did you see or hear anything that you thought was weird?
Unread 05-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
That last article I linked suggests that it was obvious he was struggling. Did you see or hear anything that you thought was weird?
No, I would totally disagree with that article. Did he sound exactly like on the records? Of course not, but I chalked that up to those songs being hard to sing live (given the quick changes from low to screaming). He did not stumble around on stage, he spoke clearly in between songs and sung clearly from what I could tell. He was constantly moving around the stage, often going to the very front and reaching over to high five fans/grab their hands. I would think, if he was really that impaired at concert time, that he would've fallen over or stumbled. I saw no hint of that whatsoever. He also played guitar on many songs and seemed to do that with ease.

I think some fans may be reading into that last performance more than they should, trying to think of "signs" that they might've seen during the concert. He seemed totally normal and happy to be there. That's why, when I heard suicide, I did not think it added up. Nothing in his behavior indicated he would kill himself less than an hour later.

Now they're saying he might have taken too many Ativans, but even then the reported timing seems odd. The police report stated his security guard was in his hotel room at 11:35pm (mind you, this is just 20 minutes after the encore ended) helping Chris with his computer. His security guard gave Chris two Ativan pills and left. Then Chris spoke with his wife around that same time and she said he was slurring his words....30 minutes later, the security guard checked on Chris and he was gone. A medic was called but she didn't come until 12:45am, then paramedics arrived close to 1am and a doctor pronounced him dead around 1:20am.

Ativan is quick acting, but it still typically takes at least 20 minutes to work. If the timeline is to be believed, he was slurring his words less than 5 minutes after taking the Ativan, and he killed himself less than 20 minutes after that. I'm wondering, perhaps, if he took an Ativan shortly before the show, maybe somehow that made the subsequent doses take effect quicker? And also, why was there a 30 minute gap between the time the guard found him and the time medics arrived? Something isn't adding up.

My Gear:

Unread 05-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #15
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
No, I would totally disagree with that article. Did he sound exactly like on the records? Of course not, but I chalked that up to those songs being hard to sing live (given the quick changes from low to screaming). He did not stumble around on stage, he spoke clearly in between songs and sung clearly from what I could tell. He was constantly moving around the stage, often going to the very front and reaching over to high five fans/grab their hands. I would think, if he was really that impaired at concert time, that he would've fallen over or stumbled. I saw no hint of that whatsoever. He also played guitar on many songs and seemed to do that with ease.

I think some fans may be reading into that last performance more than they should, trying to think of "signs" that they might've seen during the concert. He seemed totally normal and happy to be there. That's why, when I heard suicide, I did not think it added up. Nothing in his behavior indicated he would kill himself less than an hour later.

Now they're saying he might have taken too many Ativans, but even then the reported timing seems odd. The police report stated his security guard was in his hotel room at 11:35pm (mind you, this is just 20 minutes after the encore ended) helping Chris with his computer. His security guard gave Chris two Ativan pills and left. Then Chris spoke with his wife around that same time and she said he was slurring his words....30 minutes later, the security guard checked on Chris and he was gone. A medic was called but she didn't come until 12:45am, then paramedics arrived close to 1am and a doctor pronounced him dead around 1:20am.

Ativan is quick acting, but it still typically takes at least 20 minutes to work. If the timeline is to be believed, he was slurring his words less than 5 minutes after taking the Ativan, and he killed himself less than 20 minutes after that. I'm wondering, perhaps, if he took an Ativan shortly before the show, maybe somehow that made the subsequent doses take effect quicker? And also, why was there a 30 minute gap between the time the guard found him and the time medics arrived? Something isn't adding up.

Yeah. That one guy is the ONLY one I've seen say anything like that about the show. Everyone else is saying it was a great show.

Now, a friend in NC said that he was "off" at Carolina Rebellion back on May 5th. The problem is that lots of folks are trying to read back into the shows after the fact.