Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
The Overheader

Virtual Machining With Mac

Just wonder if you guys recommend a good virtual machine software for Mac. I typically would prefer free, but honestly I'd paid for one if it's REALLY worth it. I have tried VirtualBox (a software made by Sun Microsystems, who Oracle bought out), but it's typically slow and I can't seem to get the USB's on my MacBook to work with the virtual machine . The Virtual Machine I made with VirtualBox is Windows 7 Home Premium (And I gave it 2GB of RAM, and 25GB of storage (HDD)). So, I just wanted to get your opinion and if you guys tried one out and it worked really well.

Thanks,

Lat.

These aren't the --->corgi's<--- you are looking for"

I might be young, or old, but i am a part of God. I have changed thanks to him. I came here for a reason, and i'm trying to make that reason last. I respect the Lord. Jesus is my savior. I am a believer

Even Christians Can Rock</My Blog>

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Laturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-05-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Mac OS isn't really designed for virtualizing, and doesn't tend to do it very well. That said, Bootcamp, Parallels Desktop (though it's $80), and VMware are other options you could look into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
Basically... run.

paid
I use VirtualBox to make the images I deploy to the computers at my work. A large degree of your slowness will have to do with your computer's hardware. As yours is an older model Macbook it may struggle with virtualisation, particularly (relatively) newer operating systems like Windows 7.

Something that also does make a difference is if you have 3D acceleration enabled in the settings, and how much memory you allow it to use. Enabling it can sometimes make it run smoother, but it will largely depend on the hardware in your Macbook. But have a play around with it and see if it makes any difference for you.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
The Overheader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Toast View Post
Mac OS isn't really designed for virtualizing, and doesn't tend to do it very well. That said, Bootcamp, Parallels Desktop (though it's $80), and VMware are other options you could look into.
Well, the MAIN reason I need a virtual machine (Windows & Mac) is because of a Logitech software I can only get on Windows. And since I do my stop-motion production mainly on my MacBook, I thought it would be easier . Now, do you mean VMware's WorkStation? Because I thought that was only meant for Windows/Linux (unless you're talking about Fusion, which is paid and the same price as Parallels). If I had to pay to get better performance on my Mac, then I will definitely lean towards Parallels. Also, I'm crossing out Bootcamp because that's not OS over OS, that's two separate operating systems on a single Hard Drive (which I'm not doing since I OWN a PC ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
I use VirtualBox to make the images I deploy to the computers at my work. A large degree of your slowness will have to do with your computer's hardware. As yours is an older model Macbook it may struggle with virtualisation, particularly (relatively) newer operating systems like Windows 7.

Something that also does make a difference is if you have 3D acceleration enabled in the settings, and how much memory you allow it to use. Enabling it can sometimes make it run smoother, but it will largely depend on the hardware in your Macbook. But have a play around with it and see if it makes any difference for you.
It's a Mid-2010 MacBook Pro, and it currently has macOS 10.16 (Sierra). Currently, there's 4GB of RAM (which I might expand to 6GB; one 2GB and one 4GB RAM sticks). But the processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo. I don't know if that's the cause of the slowness, but maybe not?

I'll look into 3D Accerelation, but I did give it 2GB (which I mentioned), and since Windows 7 was released in '09, I would think that's enough RAM. Other than that, I'm not sure. If you like, I could take a screenshot?

I might be young, or old, but i am a part of God. I have changed thanks to him. I came here for a reason, and i'm trying to make that reason last. I respect the Lord. Jesus is my savior. I am a believer

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Unread 05-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #5
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laturus View Post
Well, the MAIN reason I need a virtual machine (Windows & Mac) is because of a Logitech software I can only get on Windows. And since I do my stop-motion production mainly on my MacBook, I thought it would be easier . Now, do you mean VMware's WorkStation? Because I thought that was only meant for Windows/Linux (unless you're talking about Fusion, which is paid and the same price as Parallels). If I had to pay to get better performance on my Mac, then I will definitely lean towards Parallels. Also, I'm crossing out Bootcamp because that's not OS over OS, that's two separate operating systems on a single Hard Drive (which I'm not doing since I OWN a PC ).
For what you want to use, it might be more appropriate to dual-boot rather than virtualise. You may have issues passing through the hardware to the program (but for stop-motion it might not be an issue anyway). What does it actually do?

Quote:
It's a Mid-2010 MacBook Pro, and it currently has macOS 10.16 (Sierra). Currently, there's 4GB of RAM (which I might expand to 6GB; one 2GB and one 4GB RAM sticks). But the processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo. I don't know if that's the cause of the slowness, but maybe not?
Well its age will be part of an issue, as well as the fact it's only a laptop processor.While that'd be more than plenty to run Windows 7 on its own, you have to remember that when you're virtualising, you're sharing the hardware with another operating system, so it's not going to be anywhere near as a efficient as running it directly.

Quote:
I'll look into 3D Accerelation, but I did give it 2GB (which I mentioned), and since Windows 7 was released in '09, I would think that's enough RAM.
Eh... it runs a lot better with 4GB, but if you're only trying to use it for one program, it probably won't matter. But anyway, what I mentioned (and probably should have been clearer with) is video memory it uses. But now that you've explained what you're trying to do, you probably won't need to give it much.

The settings are in this section:

You could also disable the Themes service and that will make it run a bit faster.
Windows 7 - Disable Themes

EDIT:
Oh, and installing Guest Additions is also a good idea, if you haven't already.
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA

Unread 05-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
The Overheader

Quote:
For what you want to use, it might be more appropriate to dual-boot rather than virtualise. You may have issues passing through the hardware to the program (but for stop-motion it might not be an issue anyway). What does it actually do?
You mean the program or the virtualization?

Quote:
Well its age will be part of an issue, as well as the fact it's only a laptop processor.While that'd be more than plenty to run Windows 7 on its own, you have to remember that when you're virtualising, you're sharing the hardware with another operating system, so it's not going to be anywhere near as a efficient as running it directly.
That's true.

Quote:
Eh... it runs a lot better with 4GB, but if you're only trying to use it for one program, it probably won't matter. But anyway, what I mentioned (and probably should have been clearer with) is video memory it uses. But now that you've explained what you're trying to do, you probably won't need to give it much.

The settings are in this section:

You could also disable the Themes service and that will make it run a bit faster.
Windows 7 - Disable Themes

EDIT:
Oh, and installing Guest Additions is also a good idea, if you haven't already.
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html
I did give it 168MB of video memory. I don't know if that enough or if more should be added, but performance with Windows 7 is a bit smoother and faster now. I also disabled themes as well. Now, the Guest Additions should be added, but what I did was I went through Device > Insert Guest Additions CD Image...

It's working somewhat better, but I still have an issue with the USB and my Logitech webcam not responding with it's software installed on the Windows 7 operating system

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Unread 05-07-2017, 08:23 PM   #7
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laturus View Post
You mean the program or the virtualization?
The program.

[quite[I did give it 168MB of video memory. I don't know if that enough or if more should be added, but performance with Windows 7 is a bit smoother and faster now.[/quote]

That's more than enough. Most lower end laptops will only supply around 64MB on average anyway.

Quote:
Now, the Guest Additions should be added, but what I did was I went through Device > Insert Guest Additions CD Image...
You just need to run the installer from your Windows VM (double click on the CD when it's loaded in "Computer") and it'll add extra little things (like being able to increase the res).

Quote:
It's working somewhat better, but I still have an issue with the USB and my Logitech webcam not responding with it's software installed on the Windows 7 operating system
It's possible it's not passing them through. Sometimes you have to manually do this from the menu while the VM is running. Here's a screenshot of mine, but I don't really have anything other than keyboard and mouse plugged in. It will likely show extra devices for yours; you just have to click on each one to activate it (and I think it puts a little tick next to it when it does so).

EDIT: I also just noticed the "Webcam" section which is where you'll likely find the camera too.

Unread 05-08-2017, 10:08 PM   #8
The Overheader

Quote:
The program.
It's supposed to control my webcam (or Logitech Webcam Settings). It only really works on Windows.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laturus
I did give it 168MB of video memory. I don't know if that enough or if more should be added, but performance with Windows 7 is a bit smoother and faster now.
That's more than enough. Most lower end laptops will only supply around 64MB on average anyway.
Quote:
You just need to run the installer from your Windows VM (double click on the CD when it's loaded in "Computer") and it'll add extra little things (like being able to increase the res).
Quote:
It's possible it's not passing them through. Sometimes you have to manually do this from the menu while the VM is running. Here's a screenshot of mine, but I don't really have anything other than keyboard and mouse plugged in. It will likely show extra devices for yours; you just have to click on each one to activate it (and I think it puts a little tick next to it when it does so).

EDIT: I also just noticed the "Webcam" section which is where you'll likely find the camera too.
Still didn't succeed . It is located in USB Settings, but it still doesn't recognize it.

Currently, this is the only problem (other than a problem with the video card driver).

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Unread 05-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #9
Basically... run.

paid
Is it located in a list beneath where it says "USB Settings" (so it would be in that section that says "No USB Devices Connected" on my screenshot)? If so try clicking on it. In theory it will pass it through.

Unread 05-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #10
The Overheader

Quote:
Is it located in a list beneath where it says "USB Settings" (so it would be in that section that says "No USB Devices Connected" on my screenshot)? If so try clicking on it. In theory it will pass it through.
The webcam is in fact found in the USB Settings (actually twice ). So, I wonder how come it's still not found in the Webcam settings. I have two pictures I took of the problem (and where the Guest Additions is located). I'll try to post them if I can.

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Unread 05-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #11
The Overheader

Both pictures are measuring around 4.5MB capacity. I can't seem to upload them for some reason, but I have them.

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Unread 05-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #12
Basically... run.

paid
I use imgur.com to upload mine. You should have no issues uploading them there.

Unread 05-09-2017, 11:10 PM   #13
The Overheader

I went with Photobucket, because I have an account for them. So, here they are

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Unread 06-03-2017, 10:43 PM   #14
The Overheader

So I just got Parallels 11, and unfortunately I still have an issue with my Logitech webcam not responding to its' software . THIS TIME, my webcam IS recognized by the operating system itself, but not by the software. I fiddled around with it (plugged webcam into BOTH USB jacks, troubleshooted it, etc.), but no success. Then I thought it was just the Windows 7 version (since they, being Logitech, updated their software and version types), so I installed Windows 10. After trying AGAIN, the operating system recognized it, but not the software. So, not sure what's up with that, or if I'm doing something wrong, but I just thought I'd point that out. Like I said, just got Parallels 11 today, and only used it for like between 3 to 5 hours.

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Unread 06-04-2017, 12:05 AM   #15
Basically... run.

paid
Seems to be reasonably common across different VM software packages and webcams. Not sure you'll find a happy solution to your problem. Something VMWare suggested for the C910 might work:

After installing the Logitech software, restart your virtual machine.
Go to Start > Control Panel > Device Manager.
To see the Logitech driver, expand the sound, video and game section.
Right-click the Logitech driver and click Update Driver
Click Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
Click USB Composite Device.
Click Next. It will install a compatible driver for the Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910.
Restart your virtual machine.