Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Community > Introduce Yourself!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #1

Hello from Kentucky

Hi there! i'm starting back in P & W after a little lay off. tomorrow - Easter Sunday - is my first time on the platform for 6 months. i've been working on tomorrow's "setlist" all throughout the day.

the reason i've had a layoff is because my wife has been sick with breast cancer. she will finish her radiation treatments week after next. all prayers are welcome and needed.

i have played bass at church for the past couple of years, but tomorrow i'm going back on guitar. my timing is not as good as it ought to be, so i'm trying to improve that.

i'm trying to make up my mind which guitar to use, my main strat, my les paul, or my parts telecaster. it's Easter so maybe i'll use the pretty dress-up sunburst les paul. but this tele i've got is a monster, with a very smooth warmoth neck and i've been wanting to get it out in public. i'll make up my mind when i go out the door tomorrow morning, i guess.

aside from P & W, i'm a bit of a SRV follower, i've been trying to cop some of his style for years. it's an impossible goal, but hey, the challenge never ends.

i am looking to take advantage of the resources here and to fellowshipping with all of you.

mark in ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #2
Old School
Administrator

1. Welcome to CGR.

2. Grace and peace to your wife (and you) as you go through this ordeal.

3. I dig some Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Hope this service goes good today!

Prayers for your wife.

Sounds like you have a couple of sweet axes. If i was going to get a new guitar, I'd go with a Tele. Had my eye on one for a few years now, but never really had a right moment.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #4

"""Sounds like you have a couple of sweet axes. If i was going to get a new guitar, I'd go with a Tele. Had my eye on one for a few years now, but never really had a right moment."""

i retired from the state police a year ago, been accumulating good guitars for awhile. i bought the les paul for myself as a retirement present. other guys want golf clubs or a harley or a bass boat, i love guitars and amps.

i have 2 MJT strats, the 'paul, and the parts telecaster. i also have a warmoth strat that isn't fully assembled yet, it has the biggest neck and biggest frets that warmoth makes and a hardtail bridge, it's going to be my srv blues guitar, with fralin vintage hot p-ups.

i have a Allen Brown Sugar amp, presently set up for 30 watts with two 6l6's, but i'm going to set it up for 15 watts with 2 6v6's, so i can use it better at church. it's too much as it is. i used a fender mustang at church this morning and it's sound was deathly. sounded like a tin can rolling down a gravel road.
Unread 04-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #5

I'm still fairly new here myself, but welcome! As a former OTR truck driver I've spent a lot of time in your state (don't worry, you didn't pull me over)! Ky is as beautiful as my home state of WV!

www.gospel2truckers.com
Ehud_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2017, 04:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehud_ View Post
I'm still fairly new here myself, but welcome! As a former OTR truck driver I've spent a lot of time in your state (don't worry, you didn't pull me over)! Ky is as beautiful as my home state of WV!
no, i never pulled you over, that's not what my job was.
Unread 04-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Congrats on retirement after a long career -- you deserve it, from a guy just a few years into my career. I'm not with my state police, but rather one of the local jurisdictions. Glad you have the time to pursue musical interests now!

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #8

Welcome to CGR. I noticed you were building a Warmoth guitar. Your need to be very careful with them as it is a bit of a racket. First you build one guitar, maybe a bit of a plain Jane. Then you go back and start looking at all the beautiful woods, color combinations and body styles and you have to build another. After six or so you finally come up with the perfect guitar so then you have to have a backup. When you build the backup, you might make a few tweaks to make the perfect guitar even better. When that happens you have to make those same tweaks to the original perfect guitar. The tweaks to the new guitar might be something like a slightly different neck (neck thickness or different frets). which means you now have to get a new neck for the original "perfect guitar". Now you have an extra neck and that quilt maple body you see on line looks beautiful. Those Warmoth people are ruthless and will sell you anything you order. Be very careful! LOL

Prayers for your wife from someone who has had cancer several times but am cancer free at this time.
elliotz18 is offline   Reply With Quote