Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #1

Projecting lyrics onto screen with video background + dyanmic lyrics/words

Hi everyone,

It's my first post on the forums and if I have added this in the incorrect sub-forum, please feel free to move it.

I am a 23 year old guy trying to modernise the way in which worship is done at a relatively small church (approx 200 people) to better utilise technology in our ministries. The church has quite a skewed demographic with the majority of members aged 40+ (a thing that seems to have happened across churches in England in my experience) and it has recently come up as a hot topic for us to do something to engage younger people. When I refer to young people I will be talking mainly about 16-30 year olds.

Whilst on a trip to the United States, I visited a friend who was going through a period of church hopping prior to finding her next church. I only stopped by for 1 Sunday, but we visited a church that was using some sort of software to project song lyrics onto a screen, but not in the typical fashion of plain text on a picture background. The background was a video and the lyrics were dynamic and moving. The closest approximation I can find online to demonstrate what was being achieved are the following if you look them up on youtube:

watch?v=yPB9ENSd1Xc - 7eventh Time Down - God Is On The Move (Official Lyric Video)
watch?v=wRJZQFRyZ6s[ - Jason Gray - Sparrows (Lyrics)

It was only a couple of months once I had gotten back to England that I thought, "Hey, we could do with doing something like this to replace our crummy Powerpoint lyrics."

I understand that the examples I have given are purely videos so the lyrics cannot be skipped forwards / backwards like we would be able to do in Powerpoint, so my main question is this:

Are there any pieces of software (naturally the ideal would be for it to be free) which can allow me to integrate a video background (which I would produce) with lyrics which can be made to move and appear in dynamic ways similar to the previously mentioned videos? (I know we could just use lyric videos like those, but I would ideally like to be able to skip forwards and backwards through lyrics / be able to have more control over timings so I could match our worship band's pace)

Cark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Hello and welcome!

What you're talking about is kinetic text. It has to be made manually, typically with Adobe After Effects, then compiled into a video. You'd need your band to be playing to a metronome to ensure that the text video and the music would be perfectly in sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #3
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Hmm...I use ProPresenter, which does the video backgrounds, but I'm not sure about kinetic text. It's also not free.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
Illegal Immigrant

Quelea is a free program that I use that does support video background, but as for kenetic typography. . . . There's really no easy way.
Unread 04-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #5

Hmm.... I guess the quest continues....

Yeah Ben, the whole getting the band in sync to the video is a difficult one.

I haven't stumbled upon Quelea yet, but I'll give that a shot and see how it stacks up next to FreeWorship and SongPsalm.

I had a free trial of After Effects and I quite liked it as it had so many features and such a great scope of stuff to do.

I'll report back if I find anything.
Cark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
Hmm.... I guess the quest continues....

Yeah Ben, the whole getting the band in sync to the video is a difficult one.

I haven't stumbled upon Quelea yet, but I'll give that a shot and see how it stacks up next to FreeWorship and SongPsalm.

I had a free trial of After Effects and I quite liked it as it had so many features and such a great scope of stuff to do.

I'll report back if I find anything.
We use Quelea at my church, though we don't do that sort of video thing. My wife does the computer stuff at the church sometimes when I run sound. I'll ask her if she has run across that on there.

Also, coincidentally, i am also in England!

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2017, 07:57 AM   #7
Illegal Immigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk View Post
We use Quelea at my church, though we don't do that sort of video thing. My wife does the computer stuff at the church sometimes when I run sound. I'll ask her if she has run across that on there.

Also, coincidentally, i am also in England!
Quelea is great for all I need it to do (especially considering it's free). I've never used it, but I also think it has the ability to project lyrics to a live video, which is not a feature you normally get on a free program.
I just wanted something simple that would kinda replicate the lyric projection from Bethel church (sudle b&w moving background with white letter font). It's simple enough to not take attention away from the worship, but good enough to look professional.
It's also considerably easier for the one manning it to use than PowerPoint.