Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Current Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #31

I'll post more later, but I would like to say that I find it curious that he develops an entire Christian argument against public schooling with 1 very loosely applied bible verse and nothing else besides his own emotion.

darfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #32
assistant regional mgr.

unless I'm mistaken, I don't see a lot of scriptural evidence against (or for) public education. I do see a lot of evidence for principles, such as parents raising your child up in the fear and knowledge of the Lord - which does not explicitly exclude public education. It merely stresses the parental role in spiritual education. Not to use the word "merely" to lessen or minimize this responsibility at all.

Were we to take these principles as being literal and all encompassing (that is to say, parents must be the only source of instruction and education for their children, there would be no public education at all. There would also be no college, trade schools, mentorships, online learning, etc.

There is an unavoidable cultural divide here. And this is not brought up as a cop out attempt to write it all off. In that day, a child was trained in their home up until a specific age, then the males were taught in a specific trade that was usually (but not always) the same trade as their father. Our current culture is vastly different in this regard - my children are unlikely to adhere to my specific trade. In addition, I do not have a family business to raise them up to take over. There is a de-centralization of the family business model that is active today. I don't own the company I work for, nor could I bring my child into my company as an employee without specific guidelines to prevent nepotism.

All that to say, there were certainly "higher education centers" in the time of Christ. Paul, for example, studied under Gamaliel.

anyhow, my thoughts on the matter - which is certainly not cut in stone.

*edit* and it's worth noting that I've done very little original research on this, other than looking through texts online. I'm - at best - an opinionated amateur hack.

Awesome Blog

Last edited by Dwight Schrute; 04-03-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #33
Lo, He comes...

paid
Have any of you read The Benedict Option by Rod Drehrer?

It's currently making the rounds in North American Orthodox circles and is somewhat germane to this topic.

Lo! How a rose e'er blooming from tender stem hath sprung,
Of Jesse's lineage coming, as seers of old hath sung,
It came a flower bright, amid the cold of winter,
When half-spent was the night.

Isaiah t'was foretold it, the rose I have in mind,
With Mary we behold it, the Virgin Mother kind,
To show God's love aright, she bore to us a Saviour,
When half-spent was the night.

O flower whose fragrance tender with gladness fills the air,
Dispel with glorious speldour the darkness everywhere,
True man, yet very God! From sin and death He saves us,
And lightens every load.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #34
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
I've read some on the Benedictine Order, but I'm not sure what Dreher says, or what exactly he has been advocating.

I do know the Benedict Option isn't a new idea. Perhaps most famously, MacIntyre gestured toward it (though I believe he either recanted, or said that he was misunderstood).

What does Dreher say? What is the gist of what he really wants to happen?

Is this a withdrawal from the public sphere?

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2017, 10:38 PM   #35

How to educate your children is a parental responsibility--and we need to be careful not to give that up--having options is a good thing--
But whether to withdraw your child from public school depend on a few things:
1-what are the public schools like in your area? Some places are better than others--so a blanket statement against them all is not helpful or accurate
2-Would another option serve them better?

I know families with 2 or more kids that have different kids in different types of schooling-Public, private (Christian), Private (other), home schooling--as well as in Canada most places have a public school system and a Catholic school system-and depending on how one splits hairs there could be others.

Sometimes it best serves a child to start in one option but switch to another along the way.
I know a public school teacher whose wife home schools their kids.
I know a private school teacher whose kids were homeschooled. (Nt a knock on the school in that case--but that was their preference & worked for the kids.

There are a lot of false stereotypes about the different options--and you have to cut through.

As we are diverse & have different leaning styles & personalities a variety of options is a good thing.
So we need to look at that & not just have a knee jerk reaction to "Public schools"
I have no doubt some should be avoided, but some aren't as bad--and it depends on the school, the system & the student