Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-31-2017, 03:36 PM   #16
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post

Define "conservative" as you mean it. I consider myself conservative and don't believe that I am some sort of nut. Terms like "conservative" and "liberal" are used in such broad ways that they really aren't that useful at all. I know people who would label me a right-wing conservative and others who would say I'm some sort of bleeding heart liberal. It comes down to how we define the terms.
I think he is referring to the article in the OP.

And, frankly, I'd concur. These people seem, well, paranoid and like they may be suffering from some sort of delusion of victimhood.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-31-2017, 03:40 PM   #17
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
I'm all for home schooling, we home school all five of our kids. but I find it somewhat problematic to dogmatically call for a mass exodus of all Christians out. and I find Israel Wayne's theology to be incredibly skewed and flawed. I liken it to someone who believes alcohol is bad, so they from that stance interpret tons of scriptures to support that stance, without looking at context, relying on acrobatic leaps in what the scripture was written about, and frankly dumping much of history to suit our very specific current circumstances. public school is a sin because taxing is stealing? um what? teaching is the responsibility of all parents, especially in the ways of the Lord (much of the Biblical texts support that). but that does not encompass all learning or schooling. that merely says that parents have a strong role and responsibility as a parent - but not to necessarily be the ONLY teacher. my two cents, anyway.
I think you are def right here.

I'm all for people home schooling if they have the talent and resources, and also for people to send their children to private school (as long as they are cognizant of what that private school teaches and it's success with student's futures).

But this "mass exodus"? Well, seems much more likely to kill Christianity than heal it.

It is the classic auto-immune effect. Cordon off the body from the outsiders, and police things in such a tight manner that the body starts to eat itself alive, atrophying and contracting more diseases. There is no salve for this.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 03-31-2017, 03:41 PM   #18
ITALICS
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk
I wonder, *who* decides what is Biblical? And, who will regulate these schools to make sure they align with the very specific type of Christian identity that is determined to be 'under attack' by people like Dobson? Why is this form of Christianity, and it's determinations of *what is Biblical sexuality (for instance)*, proper? And, how will cordoning off our children from the rest of the world of education save them from the vast resources of information that are available in the web. If you have just one kid within the walls of the non-regulated private Christian school that has access to diverse information, this will soon infect the rest of the students. When these kids go to uni, or enter the workforce, what will they do? Will they have encountered materials educating them on sexuality, gender identity, "liberalism", progressivism(s)? Will they interact in good ways, or will they just react against the way they had been raised? I've seen *that* more times than not. Most often because those kids have been taught poorly, especially when it comes to the Bible.
Not to mention the fact that even if you seclude all children in this school from outside information and teach them only the perfectly biblically sound information (derived somehow) on topics like "biblical sexuality"... some of those kids, themselves, are still going to turn out to be gay.
mtlmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2017, 03:44 PM   #19
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
interesting thoughts on the matter, for sure.

and then there's stuff like this out there, that seems to blur the line between instruction in the ways of the Lord, and teaching math:

Christian Education: A Manifesto - Israel Wayne - Christian Worldview | Christian Worldview

*note this article was just posted on Facebook by the author, as a response to the first mentioned Dobson article, with the declaration that this is what God says about how we should educate our children*
This article represents exactly why having some sort of background in hermeneutics is essential when dealing with the Bible.

Proof-texting is, unfortunately, quite seductive. But, hey, if you can force a text into supporting your ideology then apparently that is a-ok!

-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 03-31-2017, 03:45 PM   #20
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlmouth View Post

Not to mention the fact that even if you seclude all children in this school from outside information and teach them only the perfectly biblically sound information (derived somehow) on topics like "biblical sexuality"... some of those kids, themselves, are still going to turn out to be gay.
In a way it is all kind of magical and utopian. Put the kids in a designated safe space, and things will be perfect.

-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 03-31-2017, 07:34 PM   #21
assistant regional mgr.

it's a very delicate balance - protecting them, yet preparing them. and helping them to think for themselves about complex topics, versus raising them like pavlovian pups who growl at what we train them to growl at. the joys of parenting.

this is all great dialogue, folks, thanks for participating. and Thrunk, nail on the head about Mister Wayne. his article (of which he pushes hard on Facebook with pompous comments such as "it's clear you have never read what the Bible says about education!") is up there on my list along with New King James Only folks, and those nut jobs who rail against any Christian music with drums or a beat, as being satanic.

Awesome Blog
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #22

Let me be very transparent about my background before I opine on this topic. I have been a public school teacher for 13 years, and my wife for 10. I attended K-12 public school, but I went to a private christian college, and received my first master's degree at a private christian college. All 4 of my students are currently enrolled in public school, however, my oldest two did do pre-K and K-1 at a private christian grammar school.

Ok, now my thoughts on this topic (albeit a little OT). I find it interesting that I never hear the far-Christian right talk about the public school as a mission or ministry field. Like, a Christian family is ok to live dangerously, trust God, and live in sub-saharan Africa as a missionary, but not to send their children to public schools in the same capacity. There are millions of children that will never be exposed to Christians and never hear the gospel of Jesus Christ because their families aren't being related and witnessed to, as Christians are sheltered away in their own self-created monasteries. My children do confront culture (somewhat) more in the public school environment than the private one. However, they are also learning to stand strong for their faith, and use the relationships they have developed to tell their friends about Christ. Every day we pray together that they can be lights for their friends at school. I think this is a very important element of this discussion that is never addressed by the Christian homeschooling community in America.

(As an aside, I would also like to add that there are some truly terrible homeschooling situations taking place in America, bad curriculum, bad teachers, zero actual teaching. I know because I sometimes get new students that have been 'homeschooled' and literally can't read above a third grade level. Additionally, the private school my children attended was not nearly as rigorous academically as the public school they attend to now.)
darfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #23
assistant regional mgr.

interesting point, darfaz, on the potential missions field opportunities there.

I am continuously confronted with other home school parents / kids who ask my homeschool kids to go to the mall or come over for a play date, etc. during regular school hours. we take homeschooling very seriously, and get frustrated with other parents (or even family and friends) who don't. school time is school time, regardless of where you are taking school, IMO.

Awesome Blog
Unread 04-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
I don't know. I know plenty of people who would consider themselves far right that talk about the public schools as a mission field. For that reason they believe it good for both their kids and the school for them to be there.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #25
assistant regional mgr.

I confess I don't hear that approach a whole lot in discussions about public school versus homeschool.

Awesome Blog
Unread 04-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #26
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
I think Dobson is off his rocker. Yes, we should raise kids to be respectful and reverent. No, we should not isolate them from the rest of the world. How are they going to understand it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2017, 12:31 PM   #27
assistant regional mgr.

This is apparently a pretty hot topic, now Matt Walsh is jumping into it...

Matt Walsh: Christian parents, your kids aren’t equipped to be public school missionaries – TheBlaze

Awesome Blog
Unread 04-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #28
by hope we steer

I have no idea who Matt Walsh is, but I thought his article was very fitting for the Blaze.

Is a lot of this hype about some middle school dystopia in which kids are preyed upon by atheistic teachers something that is based on truth anywhere? Maybe it's just limited to the coastal bubbles?

I sub in multiple districts for jr. high and high school and while there are small caveats of liberal teachers and students stuff I have never gotten the feeling that the students are getting some cultish amoral education because of the public school system.

The biggest thing that I've noticed is that if parents are investing in their kids lives to make them a whole person that knows how to be discerning in whatever context they're placed then those kids are much better off in the long run. Neither paranoid helicopter parents or absentee "let the tv be the babysitter" parents are doing their kids any favors. Passing the blame off to the public school system seems too easy. Yeah, it's not as great as it could be, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Almost Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #29
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
This is apparently a pretty hot topic, now Matt Walsh is jumping into it...

Matt Walsh: Christian parents, your kids arenít equipped to be public school missionaries Ė TheBlaze
Semi-aside...I was amused that the article ended with multiple links to "buy my book".

Matt Walsh is Christianity's broken clock.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #30
assistant regional mgr.

I seldom respect any article that exists as a plug for the author's book, drives me nuts.

that aside, does he build a case against the argument of sending kids to public schools as a potential missions field - or does his logic fall flat? why or why not?

Awesome Blog