Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Christian Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #1

Southern Gospel

Any southern gospel player/fans here?

I don't listen to most of the new stuff much, but I'm a huge Hinsons fan! (The original Hinsons that is).

www.gospel2truckers.com
Ehud_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #2
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

I grew up listening to a lot of local gospel groups. I still have a soft spot for it but it's not my first choice.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #3
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
I grew up with Southern Gospel in the churches I attended (in the East Texas area), so I'm familiar with the style and many songs.

It isn't my go-to, but there is nostalgia attached to it. There really was not much better than when the old guys in church would get out their guitars on those 5th Sunday Singings.

Also, coincidentally, my dad met one of the older members from the Gaither Vocal Band in Belize while doing missionary work

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
I grew up listening to a lot of local gospel groups. I still have a soft spot for it but it's not my first choice.
I guess everyone has their favorite style. We still do a lot of traditional hymns at our church. That and Southern Gospel pretty well is the sound at our church. My wife plays some CCM though, just not a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk View Post
I grew up with Southern Gospel in the churches I attended (in the East Texas area), so I'm familiar with the style and many songs.

It isn't my go-to, but there is nostalgia attached to it. There really was not much better than when the old guys in church would get out their guitars on those 5th Sunday Singings.

Also, coincidentally, my dad met one of the older members from the Gaither Vocal Band in Belize while doing missionary work
One of my sons is a Mark Lowry nut! I'm sure your talking about one of the older members, but Mark Lowry is the first thing to come to mind. He's hilarious!

www.gospel2truckers.com
Unread 03-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #5
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Our congregation does mostly hymns but we do two "newer" songs every week as well. We use videos for those since I'm really the only musician outside of pianists and organists.
Unread 03-26-2017, 05:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Our congregation does mostly hymns but we do two "newer" songs every week as well. We use videos for those since I'm really the only musician outside of pianists and organists.
That's what I'm slowly trying to move back toward. We came out of a church that uses the repetitive praise song, the repetitive praise song, the repetitive praise song!

Granted David said make a joyful noise, but some of that stuff is a bit much. But, that is just my opinion.

www.gospel2truckers.com
Unread 03-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #7
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehud_ View Post
That's what I'm slowly trying to move back toward. We came out of a church that uses the repetitive praise song, the repetitive praise song, the repetitive praise song!

Granted David said make a joyful noise, but some of that stuff is a bit much. But, that is just my opinion.
The problem of needless repetition isn't solely a problem of modern praise music.

Unread 03-27-2017, 06:44 AM   #8
Lo, He comes...

paid
Repetition in praise choruses used to really annoy me until I realized that there was exactly the same kind of repetition in Orthodox hymnography that's over a thousand years old if not longer. There's a hymn we sing on some special occasions that's basically a hymn celebrating God's being with His people through the ages, loosely based on Isaiah 8 and 9, and after every statement it repeats the phrase, "for God is with us!".

But I've seen some really ill-chosen phrases for repitition in praise choruses.

Lo! How a rose e'er blooming from tender stem hath sprung,
Of Jesse's lineage coming, as seers of old hath sung,
It came a flower bright, amid the cold of winter,
When half-spent was the night.

Isaiah t'was foretold it, the rose I have in mind,
With Mary we behold it, the Virgin Mother kind,
To show God's love aright, she bore to us a Saviour,
When half-spent was the night.

O flower whose fragrance tender with gladness fills the air,
Dispel with glorious speldour the darkness everywhere,
True man, yet very God! From sin and death He saves us,
And lightens every load.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
The problem of needless repetition isn't solely a problem of modern praise music.

This is true, but the modern praise music is where I hear it most often in my personal life. And I'm sure a lot of people love it. It's just not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaactheSyrian View Post

But I've seen some really ill-chosen phrases for repitition in praise choruses.
Yes, and being Pentecostal our song services seem to be largely full of those praise choruses!

www.gospel2truckers.com
Unread 03-30-2017, 07:03 PM   #10
Basically... run.

paid
I don't see what's so wrong with repetitive worship music. We're just trying to tell God "It's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are..."

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2017, 07:29 AM   #11
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

My problem with a lot of Southern Gospel (not all of it) is that many songs aren't very deep when it comes to actual theology. The same can be said of many hymns and moderns praise songs as well.
Unread 03-31-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
I'm not even sure what Southern Gospel is
Unread 03-31-2017, 01:23 PM   #13
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood View Post
I'm not even sure what Southern Gospel is
THIS
Unread 03-31-2017, 07:07 PM   #14

Quote:
My problem with a lot of Southern Gospel (not all of it) is that many songs aren't very deep when it comes to actual theology. The same can be said of many hymns and moderns praise songs as well.
I agree. To be honest some of the deepest lyrics I've ever heard where from Petra (yes, I'm a closet Petra fan! Sometimes I just need to hear that 80's guitar!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
I don't see what's so wrong with repetitive worship music. We're just trying to tell God "It's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are..."
Exactly! (Sleep deprivation, I laughed entirely too hard over that!)

www.gospel2truckers.com
Unread 04-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #15
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehud_ View Post
I agree. To be honest some of the deepest lyrics I've ever heard where from Petra (yes, I'm a closet Petra fan! Sometimes I just need to hear that 80's guitar!)
Bob Hartman studied to be a minister. You can tell it in his lyrics. I'm not a closet Petra fan. They are one of my favorite bands of all time. I was actually listening to a bunch of their stuff yesterday.

More Power To Ya is one of the best Christian albums ever produced.