no it comes from your soul with no spiritual effect 0 0%
no it comes from your soul but can have spiritual effect 0 0%
Only from your words 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #1

Expressing your inner person

Hey everyone,
I was thinking about the guitar and how there are lot's of worship teams that have lead artists. A lot of them use the guitar as a means to express praise to God. I think of it as a very exciting way to do so. As I was thinking about it though, I was wondering how you would do this. To me it seams like it is not something you can mentally work out because it would be a spiritual practice.

As I thought more about this, I considered that it is already difficult to express to God in words and prayer how you are feeling and what you think towards him. I am not sure how one takes what they are feeling on the inside and express it to words.

What comes to mind is people whom have a lot of inner pain and (sometimes) barriers around their hearts; A hard place to tap into to let out.

I have heard people who attest that there is a spiritual longing to pray, and sometimes this may not come in understanding but in "utterance". They call this praying in tongues. If you can pray in words (or sounds, and other languages) that are inspired by your spirit and the holy spirit praying through you, how would you do something like this through lead guitar?

It is not a particular gift, however, if one is able to express their heart through tongues, why not through their hands? After all, you may not know exactly what is said in prayer when you speak in tongues (or if your not into then, then when you cry, or scream, groan, moan, or even make a humming melody), but you can often feel what your heart is expressing. So in my opinion music can also be a median to which your spirit in union with the holy spirit can express to the same degree as tongues.

Also to the same degree as praying with your choice of the subject matter you are expressing.
Say you are repenting in your prayer, is there not away to take the initial spark or spiritual force you have that drove that prayer to instead be expressed through music notes, melody and rhythm?

Any on have any thoughts about this?
Especially some one who is a novice at the guitar.

beaudoiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-07-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Hi there and welcome to the forum! And what an interesting question you pose! Allow me to offer my own input and response. Please understand this is only my point of view, and I am a mere, errant human.

God created the universe, therefore He is outside it. Thus, God is immaterial (what we would call spirit.) Music works based on sound, which requires a medium to travel through. In other words, music requires matter. Sound (and music) are purely and solely material and have no spiritual aspect. Thus, music would have no spiritual power.

The notion that music comes from the spirit and holds spiritual power is a farce, and leads to the type of thinking which made common the thought in the 1920s that jazz was satanic, or in the 1950s that rock was satanic, or in the 1970s and 1980s that metal was satanic, or today that "death metal" is satanic.

But suppose for a moment that music did have spiritual power. How would one gauge what sort of power (good or bad) it had? Based on how it sounds? Keys, scales, and time signatures? You cannot judge the spiritual based on the material (remember, sound is a material phenomenon). And how would a material phenomenon beget a spiritual phenomenon? Matter was created by a spiritual being, not the other way around; the material cannot affect the spiritual.

Emotional pain can certainly inspire a composer to write an emotive piece of music, but that music holds no spiritual power. It is nothing more than compression waves traveling through the air and bouncing off of people's eardrums.

To say that we could "take the...spiritual force you have that drove that prayer to instead by expressed through music..." carries the notion that we can control the happenings of the spiritual realm. It may be better to think of it as remembering the emotion that you experienced in your repentance and try to express that through music. But remember that that piece of music would be intrinsically benign. A person listening to it is not necessarily going to be overcome by some spiritual force because of listening to it. They may experience an emotion, but the logic which they tie to that emotion is going to be different than the logic which you tied to that emotion (unless you can first convince them of that same logic, and even then the outcome would not be certain).

In brief, the answer to your question is "no." Music does not come from the spirit. It comes from the brain. It does not hold any power (except physical power via compression waves traveling through a material medium (usually air) and vibrating and reflecting off of surfaces which it comes in contact with).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #3

hey I don't have much time to respond long, but I found you post very intriguing.

I was also wondering though about the fact that in heaven there is music every where. Wouldn't you consider these spirit beings? So if they create praise and worship to God, then there is an aspect of it that can come from the spiritual apart from the physical?

What are your thoughts on that? Do the beings in heavenly places, have physical bodies with physical instruments that they play using their mind? I'm unsure... And why can physical properties not have some sort of spiritual effect on it. Is there any examples that may show a physical object with spiritual properties, any time a prophet may have used a physical object that made a spiritual difference, or supernaturally effected other physical things?
Which I would assume would be a spiritual force using a material object that has a spiritual cause to effect a different material object.

lol, not sure. interesting though
beaudoiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
A Slave of Christ

Music in its highest form, purest purpose and most excellent expression is worship and praise of God.
That's all I have to say about that.

What does God say about worship and spirit?
"God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” John 4:24 (HCSB)

Tags
expression, guitar, prayer, spirit, tongues