Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Current Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #16
Registered User
 
jthomas1600's Avatar
 

Joined: Mar 2008
Location: In the great state of Texas
Posts: 4,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Toast View Post
Considering transgenderism is still considered a mental illness, I think transgender athletes should be disqualified on the grounds of mental incompetence.
I was under the impression that outside of the far right or christian conservative circles, transgender was looked at as a medical issue that can be corrected with surgery and hormone replacement.

What is the majority view in America?

Also: are people disqualified for being bipolar, depressed, have anti social disorder, etc? I'm not sure mental illness on it's own is a good enough reason to disqualify athletes.

jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #17
Art
Superfly.
Administrator
 
Art's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 41,570
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Toast View Post
Considering transgenderism is still considered a mental illness, I think transgender athletes should be disqualified on the grounds of mental incompetence.
I hope you are joking. If not, you are suggesting that every person with a mental illness is incompetent. Which hurts my head.
__________________
Flickr.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #18
Moderator
 
Sean's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 23,760
Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
I was under the impression that outside of the far right or christian conservative circles, transgender was looked at as a medical issue that can be corrected with surgery and hormone replacement.

What is the majority view in America?
My understanding was that with the DSM V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) that transgenderism diagnosis was changed "Gender Identity Disoder" to "Gender Dysphoria."

The DSM V came out in 2013.


WIth that said, I HIGHLY doubt that transgenderism is widely viewed as a medical issue corrected with surgery and hormone replacement outside of the far right and conservative Christian circles. That's the push of the far left and "the media," but I suspect there's a lot more people still trying to decide what they make of things.
__________________
FIND ME ONLINE

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2017, 06:05 PM   #19
Registered User
 
jthomas1600's Avatar
 

Joined: Mar 2008
Location: In the great state of Texas
Posts: 4,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
My understanding was that with the DSM V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) that transgenderism diagnosis was changed "Gender Identity Disoder" to "Gender Dysphoria."

The DSM V came out in 2013.


WIth that said, I HIGHLY doubt that transgenderism is widely viewed as a medical issue corrected with surgery and hormone replacement outside of the far right and conservative Christian circles. That's the push of the far left and "the media," but I suspect there's a lot more people still trying to decide what they make of things.
Well, call me a cynic and a pessimist, but I just assume the left and the media are winning.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2017, 06:57 PM   #20
Moderator
 
Sean's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 23,760
Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
Well, call me a cynic and a pessimist, but I just assume the left and the media are winning.
They are "winning" in the sense that they are certainly gaining traction and cultural momentum is in their direction. But that's not the same thing as gaining mass acceptance. They're getting close though.
__________________
FIND ME ONLINE

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #21
Basically... run.
 
Giga Hertz's Avatar
 

Joined: Oct 2007
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 4,775
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
They are "winning" in the sense that they are certainly gaining traction and cultural momentum is in their direction. But that's not the same thing as gaining mass acceptance. They're getting close though.
The left-wing parties in Australian government are trying to force a "Safe Schools" program into the primary schools and normalise things like this to as kids as young as 6. The left is pushing for it hard under the guise of anti-bullying, but the content that actually gets covered is way beyond what should be explored for kids that young.
__________________
~ Josh

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #22
recovering user
 

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I hope you are joking. If not, you are suggesting that every person with a mental illness is incompetent. Which hurts my head.
Headaches are a mental illness.









Really, though.... I'd be in favor of the simple solution: Desegregate all sports. If you're good at something, you'll make the team. If you're not, you won't.

Vae Victis.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2