Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-07-2017, 07:23 AM   #16
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,895
I'm not a big fan of these live action remakes in the first place. The only one I really enjoyed was Maleficent and it really was more of an alternate take on a familiar story than a remake.

I wasn't going to go see it so this doesn't affect me at all.

__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
YouTube
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-07-2017, 07:28 AM   #17
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlmouth View Post
Out of curiosity, for those who are opposed to LeFou being gay in this adaptation: would you be more or less comfortable with a brand new story from Disney in which a character with about as big of a role as LeFou was gay? Or does the "update" to an existing character make it different?

Not looking to argue this, just wondering where you guys are coming from.
As far as I'm concerned, Disney can make whatever movie they want. People can support them if they want. The content will decide whether or not I choose to see it but it's a free country.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
YouTube
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #18
on rye
 
Reuben's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2002
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
As far as I'm concerned, Disney can make whatever movie they want. People can support them if they want. The content will decide whether or not I choose to see it but it's a free country.
Indeed.

I saw one story going around Facebook about Russia perhaps banning the movie altogether... and an unbelievable number of people liking, commenting with Amens, and basically having general praise for government censorship. Terrifying.
Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #19
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
Indeed.

I saw one story going around Facebook about Russia perhaps banning the movie altogether... and an unbelievable number of people liking, commenting with Amens, and basically having general praise for government censorship. Terrifying.
I don't agree with censorship but I also don't have a problem with people vocally expressing their concern over things that are important to them.

A Disney movie just isn't high on my list of things to fret about these days.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
YouTube
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #20
and you were wondering??
Administrator
 
Uptown Thrunk's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: In the bedrock of Being.
Posts: 14,713
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I don't have a hard time at all seeing that LaFou is in love with Gaston. I've always felt that way.

I have a hard time thinking that having a gay character is really a problem when the movie is about magic in the first place, and depicts a human/pseudo-human relationship, kidnapping leading to a happy ending, etc. I just don't see why one thing is so horrendous as to cause so much objection, and other things are not.

Anyhow, I'm excited to see it.
That's probably a good point about the other weird things about the movie.

I also wonder: what is the extent of LaFou's overall storyline? Does it really 'cross' any lines? What would those lines be, anyway?

It could be rather innocuous when it comes down to what is in the film, despite what the director has said.
__________________
Hello! Come visit my blog! http://taylormweaver.wordpress.com/

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #21
Art
Superfly.
Administrator
 
Art's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 41,572
paid
That's exactly the thing. We have no idea what the couple of little comments thrown out there by the director even mean yet, do we? I have not really seen anything from anybody who has actually seen the film.
__________________
Flickr.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2017, 05:13 PM   #22
Moderator
 
Sean's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 23,760
Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
That's exactly the thing. We have no idea what the couple of little comments thrown out there by the director even mean yet, do we? I have not really seen anything from anybody who has actually seen the film.
Screenings for the film started the day after the comments from the director, and there are some articles outlining exactly what Le Fou does.


http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/heres...the-beast.html
__________________
FIND ME ONLINE

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #23
Moderator
 
Sean's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 23,760
Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk View Post
He's ugly and kinda a creepy guy. But, then again, at least he didn't fall into the camp stereptype that all gay characters from the 90s and 00s did.
Based on the descripti of the "gay" moments in the film, he certainly sounded creepy.
__________________
FIND ME ONLINE

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #24
Art
Superfly.
Administrator
 
Art's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 41,572
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Screenings for the film started the day after the comments from the director, and there are some articles outlining exactly what Le Fou does.


http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/heres...the-beast.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Based on the descripti of the "gay" moments in the film, he certainly sounded creepy.
......

I mean...

Meh.

Seriously. This sounds so ridiculously harmless. This is going to shape the way kids think a lot less that some stuff I've seen at the supermarket.
__________________
Flickr.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #25
and you were wondering??
Administrator
 
Uptown Thrunk's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: In the bedrock of Being.
Posts: 14,713
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

......

I mean...

Meh.

Seriously. This sounds so ridiculously harmless. This is going to shape the way kids think a lot less that some stuff I've seen at the supermarket.
Obviously, I haven't seen the scenes. But, I think I've seen gayer things in Looney Tunes from the 50s.
__________________
Hello! Come visit my blog! http://taylormweaver.wordpress.com/

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2017, 11:05 PM   #26
Moderator
 
Sean's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 23,760
Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
......

I mean...

Meh.

Seriously. This sounds so ridiculously harmless. This is going to shape the way kids think a lot less that some stuff I've seen at the supermarket.
Right. That's the other half of what makes this all so obnoxious...corporate virtue signaling.
__________________
FIND ME ONLINE

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2017, 07:07 AM   #27
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk View Post
Obviously, I haven't seen the scenes. But, I think I've seen gayer things in Looney Tunes from the 50s.
My man Bugs Bunny would put on a dress and lipstick in a heartbeat.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
YouTube
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #28
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator
 
Mara's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Corn
Posts: 9,487
I'm excited about the movie, and I don't see why the gay thing is such a huge deal to so many people. Disney has no reason NOT to put gay characters in their movies, and the fact that they haven't yet is more surprising to me. I would not expect them to do anything else. If you believe that homosexuality is acceptable and should be celebrated why wouldn't you consider it family-friendly? Sure, you could argue that it's introducing sexuality to children, but aren't we sort of doing that anyway with the whole love story thing? As somebody who believes that homosexuality isn't God's design for love and sexuality, I would prefer that movies and other entertainment didn't have those themes, but I can hardly expect that Disney would hold that same value.

My kids are young, and I can't say exactly how we will handle things like this in the future as parents, but the reality is that they will be exposed to homosexuality sooner than later, and it's my job to have those conversations and to teach them in an age-appropriate way as they grow up in a sinful world. That applies to all kinds of issues, not just homosexuality.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #29
Chur Bro
 
dogfood's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2004
Location: New Zealand, Fiji
Posts: 13,328
Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk
Obviously, I haven't seen the scenes. But, I think I've seen gayer things in Looney Tunes from the 50s.
what about all those smurfs and one smurfette?
__________________
dogfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #30
Moderator
 
Sean's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 23,760
Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I'm excited about the movie, and I don't see why the gay thing is such a huge deal to so many people. Disney has no reason NOT to put gay characters in their movies, and the fact that they haven't yet is more surprising to me. I would not expect them to do anything else. If you believe that homosexuality is acceptable and should be celebrated why wouldn't you consider it family-friendly? Sure, you could argue that it's introducing sexuality to children, but aren't we sort of doing that anyway with the whole love story thing? As somebody who believes that homosexuality isn't God's design for love and sexuality, I would prefer that movies and other entertainment didn't have those themes, but I can hardly expect that Disney would hold that same value.

My kids are young, and I can't say exactly how we will handle things like this in the future as parents, but the reality is that they will be exposed to homosexuality sooner than later, and it's my job to have those conversations and to teach them in an age-appropriate way as they grow up in a sinful world. That applies to all kinds of issues, not just homosexuality.
I think you pointed out exactly why it's a huge deal in your post:
  1. There's a clash of values
  2. People don't want Disney dictating the timeline for conversations on sexuality

Those are two HUGE issues for parents and they should be.
__________________
FIND ME ONLINE

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2