Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Food
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Teach me how to eat and like tofu

I have never eaten tofu, but I want to try it. How do I do it? What are some good, easy, healthy, and mostly yummy recipes to try?

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
Lo, He comes...

paid
Hooboy. I'm gonna be eating a lot of tofu in fairly short order, until Easter. Great Lent is nearly here!

Here's some great ideas.

Tofu Recipes: 52 Brilliant Ways to Spice Up Boring Tofu | Greatist

There's two schools of thought, basically. The first is to use it as a substitute in any place that you'd use meat or eggs.

The second is to use it in ways that are sort of unique to tofu itself. Chinese cooking has a lot of dishes that contain tofu and meat, so obviously they're not using it as a meat substitute like vegans or Orthodox Christians during a fast.

Lo! How a rose e'er blooming from tender stem hath sprung,
Of Jesse's lineage coming, as seers of old hath sung,
It came a flower bright, amid the cold of winter,
When half-spent was the night.

Isaiah t'was foretold it, the rose I have in mind,
With Mary we behold it, the Virgin Mother kind,
To show God's love aright, she bore to us a Saviour,

O flower whose fragrance tender with gladness fills the air,
Dispel with glorious speldour the darkness everywhere,
True man, yet very God! From sin and death He saves us,
And lightens every load.

Last edited by IsaactheSyrian; 02-16-2017 at 01:32 PM.
IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
I've had tofu cooked many, many ways. To me, it always tastes the same. Like... well, nothing.

In my opinion, it's just a good way to add some health benefits into otherwise perfectly good food.
Unread 02-17-2017, 12:57 AM   #4
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
I ate some curried stuff recently, knocked me out for a few days. Too spicy.
Unread 02-17-2017, 07:09 AM   #5
Super Mom

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I've had tofu cooked many, many ways. To me, it always tastes the same. Like... well, nothing.

In my opinion, it's just a good way to add some health benefits into otherwise perfectly good food.
Yep. I'm with Art.

I neither like nor dislike it - it's a filler. It's like putting a bunch of little sponges in your sauce or soup to soak up the flavor and give consistency.

I have a tofu chili recipe that people like a lot, but I've found that it's better if I substitute ground beef for the tofu.
Unread 02-17-2017, 07:18 AM   #6
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
I think two of the most important aspects of food (besides nutrition) are taste and mouthfeel. Mouthfeel is, I think, an important component that is often overlooked. It was why some McDonald's fries taste gross (those slimy ones) and others taste great (those nice crispy ones).

I wonder, then, how tofu can be manipulated. I recognise its ability to soak up flavours. But, how is the consistency? Can you give it a nice char? Is it always so static in consistency?

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #7
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlMom View Post
Yep. I'm with Art.

I neither like nor dislike it - it's a filler. It's like putting a bunch of little sponges in your sauce or soup to soak up the flavor and give consistency.
See, this doesn't really bother me. It seems like it most gets used to absorb other flavors, which, considering it's inexpensive and has some health benefits, I'm okay with, as long as I can make it taste good and the texture isn't weird.

Quote:
I have a tofu chili recipe that people like a lot, but I've found that it's better if I substitute ground beef for the tofu.
That is kind of what I wonder about some of the tofu recipes I've come across. Not that there's anything wrong with using it as a meat replacement, but sometimes meat is just better. I also think chili kind of needs ground beef to even be chili.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk View Post
I think two of the most important aspects of food (besides nutrition) are taste and mouthfeel. Mouthfeel is, I think, an important component that is often overlooked. It was why some McDonald's fries taste gross (those slimy ones) and others taste great (those nice crispy ones).

I wonder, then, how tofu can be manipulated. I recognise its ability to soak up flavours. But, how is the consistency? Can you give it a nice char? Is it always so static in consistency?
While I like the slimy McDonald's fries the best, I otherwise completely agree that the consistency has to be good or else it's totally pointless.

Obviously I know nothing about tofu because I started this thread, but I did find this recipe where the tofu is pan-fried to be crispy, which is something I can get behind. https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/02/...with-broccoli/
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #8
now a spiced muffin.
Administrator

paid
i would make sure tofu is something you can eat. i like miso soup (which includes tofu) but i can only have soy in a couple of forms, and tofu is not one of them.

maybe take it slowly just to be sure...there are cautions about women and soy consumption.

as for my recipe suggestion, try it in stirfry?

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
Lo, He comes...

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
That is kind of what I wonder about some of the tofu recipes I've come across. Not that there's anything wrong with using it as a meat replacement, but sometimes meat is just better. I also think chili kind of needs ground beef to even be chili.
If you can find tempeh (often found in the same aisle of the grocery store one finds tofu, or at more specialty health food/vegetarian stores), the consistency is actually a lot better for things like meatless chili. Because it uses whole soybeans and is fermented, its nutritional benefits exceed those of even tofu, and the fact that it uses whole beans means it has a more ground beef like consistency. I've made tempeh chili before. It's good. Sometimes you can get it flavored certain ways, but otherwise, like tofu, it soaks up whatever you cook it with.

Lo! How a rose e'er blooming from tender stem hath sprung,
Of Jesse's lineage coming, as seers of old hath sung,
It came a flower bright, amid the cold of winter,

Isaiah t'was foretold it, the rose I have in mind,
With Mary we behold it, the Virgin Mother kind,
To show God's love aright, she bore to us a Saviour,

O flower whose fragrance tender with gladness fills the air,
Dispel with glorious speldour the darkness everywhere,
True man, yet very God! From sin and death He saves us,
And lightens every load.