Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-11-2017, 06:57 AM   #1
\_(ツ)_/

Desktop

I get some money from my work to use on tech. Considering getting a desktop. Never owned a desktop. Where do I start?

Unread 02-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
1v1 irl

start with a nice desk
Shift II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #3
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
What's your budget? What are your needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
\_(ツ)_/

Not sure about the exact budget. 800-1k USD...
Unread 02-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
Not sure about the exact budget. 800-1k USD...
Is this to include peripherals, like mouse, keyboard, and monitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
charis humin kai eirene

paid
Quote:
I get some money from my work to use on tech. Considering getting a desktop. Never owned a desktop. Where do I start?
I don't know the situation in Europe, but her in Japan the best overall is Dell. Not the fastest or the most bells-and-whistles, but solid, good service and support ... and if you wait for a good sale, the best price.

I usually build my own, but if it's for someone else ... Dell.

Cheers!
charisjapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
Basically... run.

paid
Are you wanting to build it yourself? Do you want it to run games, or just as a general workstation?

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2017, 02:11 AM   #8
\_(ツ)_/

I have cheap mouse, keyboard, screen...

The reason for thinking desktop is that I could upgrade it as time passes.

Would be for day-to-day internet surfing, watching movies, coding and I do play some games, though none of them are very graphics heavy.

As I have never bought a desktop, at that cost, what kind of desktop can you get?

Is it cheaper to build it yourself?
Unread 02-12-2017, 02:42 AM   #9
Basically... run.

paid
With that in mind, you could probably build it for half-2/3 your budget and not get something crap. It's generally cheaper to build yourself, and it can be harder to meaningfully upgrade a prebuilt brand name desktop (usually they make interesting design choices that make it harder).

With that in mind, what you'd want would be to the effect of:
Quad core AMD APU or Intel i3/i5 - the built in graphics in either of these will handle games okay, as long as you don't want newer ones (but you could add a GPU later). With that in mind, the graphics chip on the AMD will usually outperform Intel HD graphics at same price point.

8GB RAM - should be more than enough. Unless you know you're going to exceed this, there's no point getting more as it uses more power to do nothing (but it's not hard or expensive to remedy down the track if needed)

SSD / HDD - depending on what you can afford, you can either get a really big SSD for what you need, or a HDD for storage and a small SSD for running your OS and programs

Power Supply - probably only needs to be 500W (you can calculate this when you put everything together). CoolerMaster, Cougar and Thermal take are good brands.

Board - I prefer ASUS. They have reasonable quality and decent prices. Just avoid MSI.

You'll need to purchase a Windows OEM license if you build it yourself (only needs to be Home unless you want extra features like Remote Desktop). Otherwise install your favourite flavour of Linux.

If you're not interested in building it yourself, there are some OK brands like Dell and ASUS. In general I'm not a fan as you can't be certain what's going into them (I.e. if they cheap out on power supplies) and they often have weird case designs to make replacing things harder (especially Dell).

Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA

Unread 02-13-2017, 07:20 AM   #10
charis humin kai eirene

paid
Quote:
I have cheap mouse, keyboard, screen...

The reason for thinking desktop is that I could upgrade it as time passes.

Would be for day-to-day internet surfing, watching movies, coding and I do play some games, though none of them are very graphics heavy.

As I have never bought a desktop, at that cost, what kind of desktop can you get?
If you plan to upgrade some time in the future, you could get a nice case and hope they don't change things too much. Investing in a nice case means more money, but I've had cases last over 10 years and multiple upgrades. Honestly, it's really only cheaper if you like doing hardware stuff ... but if you like hardware stuff you usually end up spending more money.

Quote:
Is it cheaper to build it yourself?
Yes ... IF you have a place that sells quality items at discount prices AND you spend a considerable amount of time researching hardware. My friend, you might be able to build a nice PC for less than a Dell ... but experience tells me that requires a learning curve ... which can cost money.

If you are interested in this as a hobby, go for it! (remember, hobbies cost money )

If not, find a good Dell on sale.

Cheers!
Unread 02-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #11
\_(ツ)_/

Sounds risky
Unread 02-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #12
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Sounds risky
It's pretty hard to screw up in this day and age. But if you don't want to be bothered, just get one prebuilt. :P

The other thing you can do is buy an Intel NUC. It's basically just a really tiny cube with a laptop processor in it; you just need to buy your own RAM and HDD/SSD (or get them prepackaged). They're not overly expensive and they're fairly low power while reasonably performing.

It'll do games okay, not brilliantly though. But they're pretty hard to frell up. :P

Unread 02-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #13
charis humin kai eirene

paid
Quote:
Sounds risky
As GHz said, it's not difficult risky, but pretty much snap-in components and a #2 Phillips screwdriver. But there are a few compatibility issues that need to be researched, sometimes drivers, sometimes flash updates, etc. I love this stuff (and pretty obvious someone with the handle Giga Hertz does, too! ), but it's an acquired taste. And like I said, as a hobby, it's easy to blow through a packet of Euros if you fall down the hardware rabbit hole.

But GHz's idea about a "cube" PC is valid. Apple has one also, but incredibly expensive. It depends on what's available in Europe, but search for "barebones pc" "cube pic" "kit pc" and you might find something interesting and easy on the budget. There are even some "atom pc kits" with CPU/GPU onboard, just add memory and a storage drive and plug in peripherals.

If any of the above tech terms make your heart rate rise ... build a PC!

Cheers!
Unread 02-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #14
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
I used to build my own PCs. It was fun and fairly easy. Installing the software is really the worst part. And being responsible for the cost if you frell anything up along the way.
Unread 02-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #15
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I used to build my own PCs. It was fun and fairly easy. Installing the software is really the worst part. And being responsible for the cost if you frell anything up along the way.
Pretty much. That said, with Windows 10 the drivers are generally there when you install so it's a lot easier than it used to be.

If you're careful it's pretty hard to frell up the part installation though. Everything can only go in one way and you have to apply pressure to make break it on insertion.

(Though I would argue this is easier to do Intel boards since they swapped to having pins on the board)