Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Academics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #31
and you were wondering??
Administrator
 
Uptown Thrunk's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: In the bedrock of Being.
Posts: 14,786
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
well, i can't comment on that functionality but i am fairly certain it exists. i would be surprised if it didn't.
I just want the cheapest way to do it! Haha.

It would be nice to be able to do comparisons on different manuscripts as well...

__________________
Hello! Come visit my blog! http://taylormweaver.wordpress.com/

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #32
Psychic theo-philosopher
 
athanatos's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2008
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 2,991
paid
I know BW has extra-biblical sources, including church fathers. I don't know about Logos, but I imagine it would too.
__________________
my glob

They want to stop the ones who want
Prosthetic foreheads on their heads
But everybody wants prosthetic
Foreheads on their real heads

We Want a Rock, They Might Be Giants

Hidden?
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #33
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 56,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos View Post
I know BW has extra-biblical sources, including church fathers. I don't know about Logos, but I imagine it would too.
The bundle (for lack of a better word) that I have does. It's got more than I will ever need.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Nothing (Without You) on YouTube
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2017, 08:53 PM   #34
Gone
 
Ted Logan's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 9,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk View Post
I suppose what I'm really interested in with bible software is being able to make large searches so as to better compare certain phrases, and not only in biblical texts, but also extra-biblical texts.

So, paying attention to certain uses of, say, charis in certain NT books, but also noting how it is used in Seneca, LXX, Xenophanes, etc.
The best solution is to get TLG (Thesaurus Linguae Graece) and Logos or Bibleworks if you're going to do this. TLG includes every extant text in Greek from Homer thru 600AD. It's a huge, incredibly useful resource but it's hard to use at first. It is what the researchers use though. I'm not sure there's a Bible software program that integrates TLG because it's such a giant resource. It is the thing to do, if your library doesn't have it. It should, though! Seriously. TLG is the resource for what you're talking about.

I have LXX, the Pseudepigrapha, Apocrypha, etc. on Bibleworks but there are no Bibleworks modules for things like philosophy.
__________________
broccolifish at SoundCloud - synthpop and chiptunes I've made

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!


Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #35
Gone
 
Ted Logan's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 9,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk View Post
I just want the cheapest way to do it! Haha.

It would be nice to be able to do comparisons on different manuscripts as well...
There's no cheap way that I know of unless you really want to confine yourself to a small group of texts.

The apparatus in NA28 and BHS tell you what is in which manuscripts. It requires some time to learn what all the symbols mean, but it does the job very well. The apparatus in Bibleworks is hard to use, though, so I just look in my trusty NA27.
__________________
broccolifish at SoundCloud - synthpop and chiptunes I've made

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!


Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #36
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 56,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Logan View Post
The best solution is to get TLG (Thesaurus Linguae Graece) and Logos or Bibleworks if you're going to do this. TLG includes every extant text in Greek from Homer thru 600AD. It's a huge, incredibly useful resource but it's hard to use at first. It is what the researchers use though. I'm not sure there's a Bible software program that integrates TLG because it's such a giant resource. It is the thing to do, if your library doesn't have it. It should, though! Seriously. TLG is the resource for what you're talking about.

I have LXX, the Pseudepigrapha, Apocrypha, etc. on Bibleworks but there are no Bibleworks modules for things like philosophy.
Can you provide a link to this? I looked up the TLG on amazon and wasn't sure which book you are referring to.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Nothing (Without You) on YouTube
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #37
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 56,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
Can you provide a link to this? I looked up the TLG on amazon and wasn't sure which resource you are referring to.
I found an online TLG database that you search. You have to have a paid subscription to access the entire database but there is an abridged section you can search for free. It's $140 a year or $500 for five years.

https://stephanus.tlg.uci.edu./index.php
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Nothing (Without You) on YouTube
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #38
Gone
 
Ted Logan's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 9,167
The site you found is the one. Trinity had one workstation with TLG when I was there. That was all that computer could do.
__________________
broccolifish at SoundCloud - synthpop and chiptunes I've made

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!


Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #39
Gone
 
Ted Logan's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 9,167
I just signed up for the abridged version of TLG (which is free) and ran a search for ομοουσιος, and just like that, I've got 186 hits. Here's what the result looked like.
Attached Thumbnails
capture.png  
__________________
broccolifish at SoundCloud - synthpop and chiptunes I've made

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!


Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #40
Gone
 
Ted Logan's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 9,167
I'm noticing that the Abridged TLG is not returning Biblical texts in its searches.
__________________
broccolifish at SoundCloud - synthpop and chiptunes I've made

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!


Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #41
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 56,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Logan View Post
I just signed up for the abridged version of TLG (which is free) and ran a search for ομοουσιος, and just like that, I've got 186 hits. Here's what the result looked like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Logan View Post
I'm noticing that the Abridged TLG is not returning Biblical texts in its searches.
I haven't had to time to play around up there yet. At this point I can't afford $100 a year to subscribe. Perhaps I'll get there in the future. The Abridged version will have to do for now.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Nothing (Without You) on YouTube
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2017, 07:29 AM   #42
and you were wondering??
Administrator
 
Uptown Thrunk's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: In the bedrock of Being.
Posts: 14,786
paid
The TLG looks about perfect. Thanks for sharing that, Ted.
__________________
Hello! Come visit my blog! http://taylormweaver.wordpress.com/

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #43
Gone
 
Ted Logan's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 9,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
I haven't had to time to play around up there yet. At this point I can't afford $100 a year to subscribe. Perhaps I'll get there in the future. The Abridged version will have to do for now.
It really isn't necessary unless you're trying to compare texts like Taylor is talking about
__________________
broccolifish at SoundCloud - synthpop and chiptunes I've made

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!


Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2