Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-24-2017, 12:18 AM   #1
Basically... run.

paid
Purchasing a Gibson LP

So I'm really jonesing to get myself a Gibson now that I have money and can justify a one off splurge. And between all the facts there's different entry points for them and I honestly don't really know how much of a difference it will make...

- I can justify spending up to $3000 AUD on a brand new one. Should I just do that?
- Should I wait for an older model to appear on eBay/Gumtree/Facebook (Australian Craigslist) for $1000?
---- Is there any real formula for how much you should pay for one from the last 15 years (I don't think I could afford a 1950s one :P)?

There's currently a 2016 LP Studio with case in a town nearby for $2k (which RRPs for $3k). I really like the look of it. Do you think it's worth going for, or would I be just as happy with a $1k one from 2010 (providing one of those appears)?

Bass - Yamaha RBX375 5-String
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-24-2017, 04:59 AM   #2
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
So I'm really jonesing to get myself a Gibson now that I have money and can justify a one off splurge. And between all the facts there's different entry points for them and I honestly don't really know how much of a difference it will make...

- I can justify spending up to $3000 AUD on a brand new one. Should I just do that?
- Should I wait for an older model to appear on eBay/Gumtree/Facebook (Australian Craigslist) for $1000?
---- Is there any real formula for how much you should pay for one from the last 15 years (I don't think I could afford a 1950s one :P)?

There's currently a 2016 LP Studio with case in a town nearby for $2k (which RRPs for $3k). I really like the look of it. Do you think it's worth going for, or would I be just as happy with a $1k one from 2010 (providing one of those appears)?
How many LPs have you played?

My favorite LP is actually a really low end one from roughly the day I was born.. And I own a 1951 Gibson ES 300. I would play quite a few and get a feel for what you like, first.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
Basically... run.

paid
The closest thing I've played is my Epi LP (which is how I know I like LPs in general). Sadly the closest places that actually stock them are like 6 hours away.

Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA

Unread 01-25-2017, 04:13 AM   #4
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
The closest thing I've played is my Epi LP (which is how I know I like LPs in general). Sadly the closest places that actually stock them are like 6 hours away.
I have owned quite a few LPs. I like older, used ones best myself. I don't like them dinged up or relliced, but I like one that is well used for some intangible reason.my 84, which is insanely heavy is the standard for an easy playing guitar. My 81 is just amazing. Both have ebony boards which is something I like for feel.

My Life.
Unread 01-25-2017, 04:23 AM   #5
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
I have owned quite a few LPs. I like older, used ones best myself. I don't like them dinged up or relliced, but I like one that is well used for some intangible reason.my 84, which is insanely heavy is the standard for an easy playing guitar. My 81 is just amazing. Both have ebony boards which is something I like for feel.
That's the thing: I really like the look of any given one that's in good condition. My real concern and wondering is how much the pickups have changed in 30 years and whether or not that's a good thing.

I guess when push comes to shove, I can either buy one (almost) at random and get what I get. Or wait it out several months and try any at any opportunity.

Unread 01-25-2017, 04:36 AM   #6
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
That's the thing: I really like the look of any given one that's in good condition. My real concern and wondering is how much the pickups have changed in 30 years and whether or not that's a good thing.

I guess when push comes to shove, I can either buy one (almost) at random and get what I get. Or wait it out several months and try any at any opportunity.
I'd try the used ones that come up. Pickups are relatively cheap compared to the LP. Pickups don't factor in much for me.

My Life.
Unread 01-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #7
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
I'd try the used ones that come up. Pickups are relatively cheap compared to the LP. Pickups don't factor in much for me.
this. A brand new set of current issue pickups is $300 USD give or take, so if you wanted to drop those in (or anything else) later on, the $2k you save now would go a long way.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
Tired of being attacked

Also, Wolfe McLeod makes some amazing pickups that I put in my LPs. They are IMO, better than anything gibson has put out in ages, possibly ever, and are quite affordable. Buying used on ebay would go pretty well.

My Life.
Unread 01-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
Basically... run.

paid
Those are some very valid points, thanks. I might keep a look out for older stuff then.

Has much else changed? Weight? Woods?

Unread 01-25-2017, 08:26 PM   #10
charis humin kai eirene

paid
Hey GHz/Josh,

I have a few LPs, and I think you have been given pretty good advice to look into something used. For one thing, you don't have to deal with some of the new "features" ... some are kind of controversial. Robot tuners, Zero Nut, and wide fretboards come to mind. Some people like them, many don't, and quite a few don't know any better. I know you like tech stuff, but if that robot goes rogue, the guitar could be sitting in a shop until replacement parts show up ... sometimes quite a while.

The Studios are great, I have a 2011 Faded Pro, which is fully chambered, lightweight without neck dive, and the parts are about the same as a Standard costing 4X. I changed pickups to Seymour Duncan, but even the original 490/498 Gibson pickups sounded pretty good. There's a LOT more tonal difference with the amp and pedals than the pickups, IMO. Bear in mind that there is not really a single "PAF Tone." The 50s, 60s and even 70s and 80s pickups were all over the place tonewise, some great, some not so great. For that matter, guitars, too! Weight can be all over the place as well, some Trads can push 12 pounds ... my heaviest strat is 9 pounds even.

I know a few folks from the MyLesPaul forum that live in Australia and are serious LP experts. I can ask them for advice on how to buy a good guitar without breaking the bank. A trustworthy dealer will send you pictures and impressions, even if you can't go try out the guitar your self.

In the meantime, I would ask to try every LP you can! For such a familiar and traditional guitar, the feeling and tone differences are very, very wide.

Cheers!
charisjapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #11
Basically... run.

paid
I thought I replied to this, but obviously I didn't get there. Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisjapan View Post
Hey GHz/Josh,

I have a few LPs, and I think you have been given pretty good advice to look into something used. For one thing, you don't have to deal with some of the new "features" ... some are kind of controversial. Robot tuners, Zero Nut, and wide fretboards come to mind. Some people like them, many don't, and quite a few don't know any better. I know you like tech stuff, but if that robot goes rogue, the guitar could be sitting in a shop until replacement parts show up ... sometimes quite a while.
That's true. I've liked the idea, but I have a bluetooth tuner now anyway, so I don't really need that feature. I'm willing to give anything new a go, though.

Quote:
The Studios are great, I have a 2011 Faded Pro, which is fully chambered, lightweight without neck dive, and the parts are about the same as a Standard costing 4X. I changed pickups to Seymour Duncan, but even the original 490/498 Gibson pickups sounded pretty good. There's a LOT more tonal difference with the amp and pedals than the pickups, IMO. Bear in mind that there is not really a single "PAF Tone." The 50s, 60s and even 70s and 80s pickups were all over the place tonewise, some great, some not so great. For that matter, guitars, too! Weight can be all over the place as well, some Trads can push 12 pounds ... my heaviest strat is 9 pounds even.
Those are all good points.

Quote:
I know a few folks from the MyLesPaul forum that live in Australia and are serious LP experts. I can ask them for advice on how to buy a good guitar without breaking the bank. A trustworthy dealer will send you pictures and impressions, even if you can't go try out the guitar your self.
I didn't even consider there. I might poke around and see what information I can get.

Quote:
In the meantime, I would ask to try every LP you can! For such a familiar and traditional guitar, the feeling and tone differences are very, very wide.
Definitely. Thanks.

That LP I mentioned earlier still seems to be there. Same price, and it's been listed for almost 2 months. Do you think it'd be worth seeing if he'd go as low as $1800 (which is about $1376 USD)? I'm otherwise happy to wait around, it's not an urgent expense.