Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-19-2017, 04:25 PM   #1

LR Baggs Lyric users?

Hi all,

I started this thread yesterday but it seems to have disappeared from the forum
So I'll ask again.

I've just got a Martin OM21 and so now am in the exciting journey of looking for a pickup for it. In the past 20 years, I've just used whatever pickup comes with the guitar (all UST).
Any Lyric users out there would care to share how they like the Lyric after using it for a while now.

My context would be the typical modern church band (piano, bass, drums, electric, acoustic). I plan to plug in straight to acoustic amp (Roland AC60) or with an addition of an EQ pedal (Zoom ms100BT) in between, but not planning to use a separate preamp.

Blessings from Melbourne.

dnaworship is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Hey, I don't have anything pertinent to add to this thread, but let me bring the disappearing posts to the attention of an administrator.

Maybe it's a poltergeist!!

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2017, 08:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk View Post
Hey, I don't have anything pertinent to add to this thread, but let me bring the disappearing posts to the attention of an administrator.

Maybe it's a poltergeist!!

Thanks, man.
Hope the disappearing ink doesn't continue to happen.
Unread 01-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #4
Old School
Administrator

I sent you a PM which I hope explains things.

BTW, welcome to CGR.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2017, 10:23 PM   #5

I have had a Lyric in my Martin HD28v for almost 3 years. I play plugged in at church about twice a month. When I purchased it, I was debating between the Lyric and the Anthem.

The good: I can definitely get that Martin sound from this pickup. It sounds great and I get a lot of compliments on my guitar tone. I always had piezo pickups in my other guitars and the Lyric is so much better. I hate the piezo quack. Being a microphone, the sound is so real.

The not so good: I have had to play around with my settings a lot. I also had to invest in a LR Baggs PARA DI pre amp to get it right. Not plug and play.
If you do some research on the Lyric, you will hear complaints about the mic sounding "compressed." I can second that. While a mic pickup, there is a lot of compression, which can be a underwhelming.
Some other odd things I've experienced include foreign sounds. If you're hot, any time you move the instrument you can hear the movement of the guitar against your body. I have to be careful with the clothes I wear (no buttons, zippers, or you'll hear the scratch). I've also had lots of sensitivities to feedback. I've had to put a soundhole cover in at times to avoid feedback during loud sets.

Your mileage may vary, but I can tell you that I am overall pleased with the pickup, but I would have probably chosen the more expensive Anthem if I did it again. The multiple sources is attractive when faced with some of these issues. Nice choice on the OM-21. Definitely one I have had my eye on.
darfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #6

Not really trying to pile on, but two other things I thought about:

-If you play fingerstyle a lot, the Lyric pics up EVERY string squeak you make. Almost where you have to adjust your technique to lift off the strings and repress down.
-The battery is located inside the guitar. While great for aesthetic purposes, if your battery dies mid session, you're truly screwed. I know in my old Fishman barn door pre amp I could change the battery in like 3 seconds, but with the Lyric it would take a long time to loosen your strings and be able to get in the guitar body to change it. I believe LR Baggs says you can get 1000 hours of playing with one battery, but I change mine very regularly just to make sure.

Don't get me wrong, I still have this pickup in my guitar and the sound it can bring truly is lovely, but I just wanted to be very real with my experience.
darfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2017, 11:34 PM   #7

I ended up going with the Stage Pro Anthem, which is a combo of the Anthem mic and the Element undersaddle pickup, plus an onboard pre-amp. It was annoying to find a luthier who would install a different preamp than the stock one, but it sounds phenomenal, and the convenience of the onboard preamp is great. I use a 50/50 blend of the mic/piezo generally. The setup really breathed new life into my guitar, it sounds like a new instrument.

Acoustic:
Guitars: Carvin C750TS, Alvarez RD8C
Pedals: Korg Pitchblack, MXR 10-Band EQ, BarberTone Compressor, Visual Sound GarageTone Tremolo, Nova Delay, Radial Jensen DI

Quality transactions with: Gaetano Paul, Chocolate Bear, S.B. Nichols, Almost Enough, relient nelson, snizzle
ibanez_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2017, 12:23 AM   #8

Hi all,

Thanks very much for sharing your experience.
It seems I might just wait a bit more and see if I can play a Lyric in person before purchasing, because it seems like it won't sound good without a preamp pedal (which is what I'm trying to avoid at the moment), and also to give the OM21 some more milage before doing any modifications.
In the mean time, I'll just mic up (and stay seated) for acoustic sessions at church.

-DNA
Unread 01-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #9

See if you can find a local shop that has anything you can demo. I found a local shop that had a guitar with an LR Baggs, a KRK, and one or two other things installed. It was very insightful sonically for me.

Acoustic:
Pedals: Korg Pitchblack, MXR 10-Band EQ, BarberTone Compressor, Visual Sound GarageTone Tremolo, Nova Delay, Radial Jensen DI

Quality transactions with: Gaetano Paul, Chocolate Bear, S.B. Nichols, Almost Enough, relient nelson, snizzle
Unread 01-29-2017, 11:09 PM   #10

Thanks ibanez_dude. Stores here in Melbourne only have stock pickups. You can only see something different if someone coincidentally has their personal guitar there in the store at that time.

I'll be visiting Orlando, Florida in a couple of weeks, any suggestions for stores there?

Cheers,
DNA
Unread 01-30-2017, 11:50 PM   #11

Sorry, never spent anytime in Florida

Acoustic:

Tags
acoustic, lr baggs, lyric, pickup