Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Amps & Effects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #1

Switching from Digital to Analog Effects

Hey Guys, I've been using Digital Effects with my Guitar for about 5+ years now.

I have used the Apogee Gio as my Midi Controller and routed everything to MainStage where all my effects are processed then routed back out the Gio to my Amp.

I am currently thinking about making the jump back over to Analog Effects but I know nothing about Analog Effects and where to get started, but I do know what I want

The current effects that I use on my Digital Rig are:

Dotted 8th Delay with Tap Tempo
Compression
Reverb
A simulated Amp Cab for OverDrive

This is then sent out to my Marshall Tube Amp which I plan to still use.

I'm looking to make a mix that has a warm sound, with dotted 8th delay, with the ability to add some overdrive as I need it. And Im thinking I want to start simulating some more effects from popular songs. Hillsong, Tomlin, etc. Im really looking to do a lot more pretty and airy sounding effects this year.

Any recommendations to products I can get started with is greatly appreciated.

RedZephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Have you heard of Electro Harmonix's stuff?

For delays, I recommend their products. They have several levels of delays. Fairly inexpensive, but limited, is the Memory Boy. But they have a more competent delay, the Memory Man, which has a built in tap tempo.

The others... I don't have any real experience with, besides a Boss Reverb. I can't remember which type it was. But, it was analog and worked pretty well for what I needed.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take a peek at those. I should also mention, when I say "Analog" I am more referring to actual pedals rather then running everything through a computer. I am open to digital pedals if such a thing exist.
Unread 01-19-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Oh, gotcha!

Honestly, I haven't really kept up on where pedals are at recently. Besides the Electro Harmonix stuff, I've always been a big fan of Boss because they are usually more modestly priced while still being decent.

I say this just to mention that Boss has several delays that aren't too badly priced and work very well.

Since you specified that mostly you are thinking about getting something that is pedal based rather than on a computer, have you thought about a multi-effects pedal? https://www.boss.info/us/categories/multi-effects/

There are others out there that are cheaper and probably have a wider range of effects, but usually quality is lacking. Either the effects sound fairly processed, or they just don't work all that well.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2017, 06:04 AM   #5

Lots of options for A Tap Delay , The Boss DD7 is a good option, I like the TC Electronics Flashback, and the list goes on and on, The 2 I listed pop up all week Used around $100 in my neck of the woods ($200 if your looking at the Flashback X4 or Boss DD-20)

Compression again Wide variety of options, BOSS CS2 or CS3, MXR Dyna Comp (some of these can be really noisey), Xoctic SP and on and on lol, Of all the pedals your looking for A compressor is the one I suggest getting into a store and trying out, The all have a little different flavor and you gotta find the one that fits your taste, The 4 I listed can be had used under $80 but you should really try them out first

Reverb, TC Electronics Hall of Fame, Is like the gold standard right now, every other rig run down I watch seems to have one in it, other options MXR M300, EHX holy grail, Boss RV5, Digitech Polera, again lots of options!

Not sure about the amp cab thing? If your already using A tube Marshall, I'd just look into adding an overdrive pedal to push it over the top, (you can also set a compressor to push a tube amp into overdrive) And your options for Overdrives is nearly endless, Its another pedal I'd get out there and try a bunch and try 2 or 3 together, Different drives effect amps and guitars differently you gotta try a bunch, I'd start with a trusty Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer and work out form there,

2 pedals you should look into, Tuner (boss tu2 or tu3 TC Electronics polytune) simply the most important pedal on your board! If your not in tune it doesn't matter how many cool pedals you have!! and A volume pedal, mix it with delay and reverb for cool washy swell sounds, We use it a lot on our worship team! great options From Ernie Ball, Boss and Dunlop.
aljb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
What do you think your budget looks like for everything in this rig building plan?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljb17 View Post
Lots of options for A Tap Delay , The Boss DD7 is a good option, I like the TC Electronics Flashback, and the list goes on and on, The 2 I listed pop up all week Used around $100 in my neck of the woods ($200 if your looking at the Flashback X4 or Boss DD-20)

Compression again Wide variety of options, BOSS CS2 or CS3, MXR Dyna Comp (some of these can be really noisey), Xoctic SP and on and on lol, Of all the pedals your looking for A compressor is the one I suggest getting into a store and trying out, The all have a little different flavor and you gotta find the one that fits your taste, The 4 I listed can be had used under $80 but you should really try them out first

Reverb, TC Electronics Hall of Fame, Is like the gold standard right now, every other rig run down I watch seems to have one in it, other options MXR M300, EHX holy grail, Boss RV5, Digitech Polera, again lots of options!

Not sure about the amp cab thing? If your already using A tube Marshall, I'd just look into adding an overdrive pedal to push it over the top, (you can also set a compressor to push a tube amp into overdrive) And your options for Overdrives is nearly endless, Its another pedal I'd get out there and try a bunch and try 2 or 3 together, Different drives effect amps and guitars differently you gotta try a bunch, I'd start with a trusty Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer and work out form there,

2 pedals you should look into, Tuner (boss tu2 or tu3 TC Electronics polytune) simply the most important pedal on your board! If your not in tune it doesn't matter how many cool pedals you have!! and A volume pedal, mix it with delay and reverb for cool washy swell sounds, We use it a lot on our worship team! great options From Ernie Ball, Boss and Dunlop.
This information is really helpful. As far as the Amp Cab goes, I'm using on the digital side solely because it gives me the nicest sounding over drive, I'm thinking I probably want an actual overdrive pedal to replace this. The sound from my amp is pretty clean when plugged direct in so I will definitely need some sort of overdrive.

Tuner pedals will definitely be something getting, and yes a volume pedal. I do quite a bit of swells with the current rig.

As far as budget, I'm hoping to get started for $500-$1000 but I don't know If I am dreaming in that price range or not.