Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Recording & Live Sound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-07-2017, 12:13 AM   #1
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
DIY XLR cables?

I know this forum seems pretty dead lately, but I'm curious if anyone has experience DIY-ing XLR cables. Mostly I'm looking for brand recommendations for connectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-07-2017, 12:41 AM   #2

I've worked for a few production companies that've done it. Honestly, there's nothing real Neutrik connectors, they're durable, easy to use, and the locking mechanisms are great. Best to pony up the $$ for the real thing, you won't regret it. You don't need the fancy Neutrik's, just the standard ones work fine

Acoustic:
Guitars: Carvin C750TS, Alvarez RD8C
Pedals: Korg Pitchblack, MXR 10-Band EQ, BarberTone Compressor, Visual Sound GarageTone Tremolo, Nova Delay, Radial Jensen DI

Quality transactions with: Gaetano Paul, Chocolate Bear, S.B. Nichols, Almost Enough, relient nelson, snizzle
ibanez_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2017, 10:43 PM   #3

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez_dude View Post
I've worked for a few production companies that've done it. Honestly, there's nothing real Neutrik connectors, they're durable, easy to use, and the locking mechanisms are great. Best to pony up the $$ for the real thing, you won't regret it. You don't need the fancy Neutrik's, just the standard ones work fine
I've heard these are fantastic. I've also heard GLS are decent. Thoughts?

Quote:
Unread 01-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #4

I bought 10 20' cables from a guy who got them off Amazon for a great deal but all the connector SUCKED so I ponied up and bought Neutrik for all of them both ends. And I soldered them on myself and now the cables are my go to cables for gigging. No worries as to whether they will crackle and pop. They just work. Period.

So worth the money. I think I ordered from Parts Express to get the connectors. Under $4 per end. Again, WORTH IT!
Unread 01-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
Lee

Send a message via AIM to LWatford
All the time...I try to use Neutrik as much as possible, but that's mostly because I like their design and they seem to go together pretty quickly.

I do like the "classic" Switchcraft plugs, I've used some of their new ones, and while they worked great, I was a little less than thrilled with the construction (Seemed overbuilt but a little flimsy somehow). The old school ones are great, and are what most people are copying.

Not a fan of the Amphenol stuff I've used.

I've been using the Redco housebrand quad cable lately, and it's pretty great! Nice price too. I've done a few cables with Mogami dual, and it's nice too, but I wouldn't use it for anything that will get used or stressed much (so it's great for preamps to interface and stuff like that).

I'm so much cooler online.
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #6
Some guy

Send a message via AIM to Maestro_dmc Send a message via Skype™ to Maestro_dmc
I recently replaced about 20 100' XLR cables in an install situation with a 24 channel snake that we hardwired into the system.

The Client let me have all the "scrap" wire and connectors. I'll be making a whole crapload of custom length cables out of this stuff. Plus, on my job (AV Installer/Programmer/Engineer) I'm always getting free stuff when we replace equipment, so I have a bunch of used Neutrik XLR's already.

I'm in the process of de-soldering them all right now.

My whole home studio is all wired up from bits of snake cable, wall plates etc I recycled from jobs I've been on.
Maestro_dmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #7

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro_dmc View Post
I recently replaced about 20 100' XLR cables in an install situation with a 24 channel snake that we hardwired into the system.

The Client let me have all the "scrap" wire and connectors. I'll be making a whole crapload of custom length cables out of this stuff. Plus, on my job (AV Installer/Programmer/Engineer) I'm always getting free stuff when we replace equipment, so I have a bunch of used Neutrik XLR's already.

I'm in the process of de-soldering them all right now.

My whole home studio is all wired up from bits of snake cable, wall plates etc I recycled from jobs I've been on.
This is sort of what happened in my situation. We pulled all our old XLR cables out of the floor at church and replaced them with a dual-cat6 digital snake. I was given all the old cables to keep. I wish I was still doing A/V stuff professionally; it'd be so cool to get scraps to take home.

Quote: