Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Amps & Effects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-27-2016, 11:01 PM   #1

NPD SubNUp

One pedal I've wanted for some time, but either had other things I wanted more (Or other stuff come up)--is an octave&/or pitch type pedal.

I've tried a lot of them out over the years--and some I didn't get because they tracked poorly. Some tracked well at some pitches, but poorly in other places.
Some were noisy.
Some have an auto-tune type sound to them--at least on some settings.
Some were good, but too expensive for me. (Sure I could save up longer, etc--but I didn't feel right about spending over $200 (& in some cases over $300 + up) when I primarily play at home.)

So recently I saw some online reviews for the TC Electronics SubNUp pedal--and it looked interesting (& sounded great)
So I checked it out --on two different occasions--with different guitars & basses.

It fit what I wanted--so yesterday I picked one up.

I just got it, so there is that "Honeymoon" period we sometimes have with gear.
But it has a classic mode (Older style Octaver where if you play 2 or more notes together you confuse it), a Polyphonic mode--where you can play chords or single notes--and best of all--the Tone Print mode--where you can download an app to add a third setting--it comes with one that is an organ kind of sound.
The app & the sounds are free too--so that's cool.
They also have an editor for it to create your own sounds or tweak existing ones--I have't done much with that yet though)
But with the sounds available (You can switch them via the app& a smartphone) this pedal will give me a lot of variety in what sounds I can get--so that was a selling point for me.

I'll review it once I've had it for a while & used it more--but it is a cool pedal--and GAS is subsiding a bit (Although a pedalboard would be a great next purchase for me)

I haven't tried it on my Mandobird yet--but that should be cool too.
And it will work with the organ sounds if I play on a Sunday and there's just one guitar and me on bass for that service

Unread 11-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #2

cool, I thinking about checking one out after christmas!
aljb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljb17 View Post
cool, I thinking about checking one out after christmas!
I would check it out.

There are many options out there--although not as many as for some types of effects (Especially distortion/Overdrive/fuzz--although there are octave/fuzz pedals as well)--but still many options.

Take the time to find the one that is going to fit your playing style & context