Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Christian Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Stryper

Saw these guys Monday night on the last night of their To Hell With The Devil 30th Anniversary tour in Raleigh, NC.

These guys still rock. Mike and Tim are 53, Oz is 55, and Robert is 56. You would never know it by watching them on stage. They are high energy and all over the place. I don't know how Mike has managed to keep his voice in shape. He can't go quite as high as he did thirty years ago but he still let out several screams over the course of the night.

I think these guys are seriously underrated as musicians. A lot of their fame was more infamous because of the look and the Christian lyrics. They never really got the same respect as some of their peers. That's a shame.

My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-27-2016, 10:57 PM   #2

I find them a little derivative musically--like many CHristian acts--but I do have some of their albums & do listen to them.
Unread 11-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #3
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman View Post
I find them a little derivative musically--like many CHristian acts--but I do have some of their albums & do listen to them.
They played the same kind of music their peers were playing. It was all pretty cheesy at the time. Stryper weren't any more or less derivative than the rest of those hair metal bands. They were on a secular label, toured with secular bands, and were really blasted by many in the Christian world. They were actually pioneers. As far as the music goes, like I said, it sounds a lot like the bands they were playing with at the time. All of them were ripping off Van Halen, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, and Black Sabbath.

Styper's first album came out in 1984 so they were only a couple of years behind Motley Crue but so were Quiet Riot and Ratt. Most people put Stryper right there in the first wave of LA Glam Metal. A LOT of Christian bands popped up after 1986 when To Hell With The Devil hit it big but they were actually following in Stryper's footsteps.

Last edited by Leboman; 11-28-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Unread 12-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
They played the same kind of music their peers were playing. It was all pretty cheesy at the time. Stryper weren't any more or less derivative than the rest of those hair metal bands. They were on a secular label, toured with secular bands, and were really blasted by many in the Christian world. They were actually pioneers. As far as the music goes, like I said, it sounds a lot like the bands they were playing with at the time. All of them were ripping off Van Halen, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, and Black Sabbath.

Styper's first album came out in 1984 so they were only a couple of years behind Motley Crue but so were Quiet Riot and Ratt. Most people put Stryper right there in the first wave of LA Glam Metal. A LOT of Christian bands popped up after 1986 when To Hell With The Devil hit it big but they were actually following in Stryper's footsteps.
Derivative isn't necessarily a bad thing--I did say I own some of their albums and I do listen to them.
Unread 12-03-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman View Post
Derivative isn't necessarily a bad thing--I did say I own some of their albums and I do listen to them.
I may have misinterpreted your statement about them being "derivative musically--like many Christian acts" as a negative comment. That is a consistent criticism of the CCM industry and sometimes rightfully so. I was simply suggesting that Stryper were not jumping on a bandwagon like many later Christian metal bands did. They were actually part of that initial wave of Sunset Strip bands. Musically, they were all derivative of those 70s bands so I get what you're saying. Stryper even did that cover album a few years back to kind of tip their hat to all those bands.
Unread 02-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

They announced that they will start recording a new album in October for a March/April 2018 release.

Michael is currently working on the new Sweet & Lynch album.
Unread 02-10-2017, 10:14 PM   #7

I saw them, last, with my newly-adult-daughter after the Murder By Pride and "cover" LP that I don't care to acknowledge....

After seeing the opening act, which were the same age as Michael, his Brother and Oz......she asked "Why do they look so much younger".......And, I, in my "Teachable Moment" said "Clean Living"......LOL!!!!

I hope Michael continues to do-his-thing as long as I can take notice.

God Bless
DavidFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #8
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidFrank View Post
I saw them, last, with my newly-adult-daughter after the Murder By Pride and "cover" LP that I don't care to acknowledge....

After seeing the opening act, which were the same age as Michael, his Brother and Oz......she asked "Why do they look so much younger".......And, I, in my "Teachable Moment" said "Clean Living"......LOL!!!!

I hope Michael continues to do-his-thing as long as I can take notice.

God Bless
First time I saw them was on the Murder By Pride/25th Anniversary tour. I had been waiting a LONG time to see them. This last tour was a no-brainer for me. I will attempt to see every tour they do from now on because they are getting old and so I am.