Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #1
Tired of being attacked

This might get partisan... ...debating going to the dark side.

But I am debating switching from Android to Iphone. What would I as a long time android user need to know about making the switch to the dark side.

I am doing a lot less techy stuff than I used to. Is there any way to attach external storage in a pinch?

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
Deets Go Here

The dark side works.

The dark side has no external storage in a pinch if you don't have a computer or extra iCloud space.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
Basically... run.

paid
You're not the only one. After lots of bad experience with her S5, my wife has just ordered an iPhone 7. Working with iOS devices at work, I know doing this myself would drive me nuts very quickly. But yeah, I totally get the impulse for some people (especially if you need specific apps for iOS that aren't available/don't work at all on Android).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
But I am debating switching from Android to Iphone. What would I as a long time android user need to know about making the switch to the dark side.
A few obvious ones:
- apps will need repurchasing
- you need to make sure all your contacts are sync'd with Gmail to make the transfer easier
- your homescreen is less customisable
- no removable battery (but many Android phones are taking this route)
- your files are harder to directly access

Quote:
I am doing a lot less techy stuff than I used to. Is there any way to attach external storage in a pinch?
I've taken a poke around and there appear to be lightning or wireless drives, but because of the way iOS is designed (i.e. locked down) it looks like they do some interesting tricks to try and work around it. I don't know how well they work, but it's not as straight forward as mounting an SD card or USB OTG in Android is.

I'm not sure what the iPhones are doing these days, but you may want to make sure the features of your current phone you use are available in iPhones. For instance (despite the fact I didn't think I'd need it 2 years ago) not having wireless charging anymore would be a deal breaker for me as I'm constantly picking up and putting down my phone all day and I have a nice wireless charging dock for it.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
assistant regional mgr.

I was a die hard back in the day on my Droid. Now I'm an "apple fanboy". I miss (a little bit) not having the breadth of apps available to me, most notably hacking and probing network tools. But I have a raspberry pi that runs Kali and is more than capable than a droid. I use Dropbox and Office 365 cloud storage for my docs and crap. No real accessibility or storage app issues. I use Amazon cloud player for music so don't need anything, really, stored locally that I can't access in the cloud. I use photo storage in the cloud which only stores if it also exists on your phone. So I back up my phone and its photos to my computer which mirrors to a local SAN, then dumps to the cloud (Carbonite). I lost photos of my kids once and only once.

My wife bought me an ipad when they first came out, she realized this was a future trend that I needed to be a part of. I scoffed. I bickered and belly ached. She had it engraved so I couldn't return it or sell it. It grew on me. Now I appreciate their products for what they are - a really well designed tool. Maybe not the best for everything. But for some things, it really is a great tool. I have the 6 plus. My wife has the 6. And my two kids have a 5s each. I work for a major telecom company that gives me a very very good deal on the phones and the service and the data. I could get either flavor (apple or android) for dirt cheap. I choose the Apple.

I welcome you at the door to the dark side.

Awesome Blog
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #5
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
To me, there is no compelling reason to switch either to Apple from Android, nor to Android from Apple. I will not switch, because there are things that Android does that I use all the time that are not available from Apple, and my wife will not switch, because she has always used an iPhone, and is used to it.

Also, the answer is, I have not seen what you are looking for, outside of online storage. It's one of the many things that keeps me with Android.
Unread 11-18-2016, 03:45 AM   #6
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
To me, there is no compelling reason to switch either to Apple from Android, nor to Android from Apple. I will not switch, because there are things that Android does that I use all the time that are not available from Apple, and my wife will not switch, because she has always used an iPhone, and is used to it.

Also, the answer is, I have not seen what you are looking for, outside of online storage. It's one of the many things that keeps me with Android.
Main reason is facetime so my parents can see my girls. Also, my wife is having to switch for work and it might be easier to just use similar phones. I may go iphone and keep my beloved android tablet for music. I am not giving up my 128 extra gigs of music. I have remarkably few purchased apps.

My Life.
Unread 11-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #7
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

I am considering making the switch this spring. I'm currently using Google Drive to backup my photos and pay for storage on that. Will that integrate with an iPhone? My techy days are far behind me and I know nothing.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #8
Deets Go Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara
I am considering making the switch this spring. I'm currently using Google Drive to backup my photos and pay for storage on that. Will that integrate with an iPhone? My techy days are far behind me and I know nothing.
It should. Doesn't the Google photos app have free unlimited storage? I think my iPhone does it. Granted, it's not the full size photo, but I figure for a free back up it is good enough.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #9
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Main reason is facetime so my parents can see my girls. Also, my wife is having to switch for work and it might be easier to just use similar phones. I may go iphone and keep my beloved android tablet for music. I am not giving up my 128 extra gigs of music. I have remarkably few purchased apps.
Facetime is one compelling reason. Though I will say that there are several cross-platform apps that will accomplish exactly what Facetime does. My niece started college this semester out of state, and uses Facebook Messenger's video chat to a quite good effect. Still, I don't see issue if you do switch for that reason. Facetime works remarkably well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
To my knowledge, Google Drive will not integrate easily. Like, you currently have automatic image backup though Google, right? I don't think that works on Apple. They use iCloud (which has had major issues, though that is a separate thing) for their automatic backup. I could be wrong. I have not played with iOS that much.
Unread 11-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #10
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
To my knowledge, Google Drive will not integrate easily. Like, you currently have automatic image backup though Google, right? I don't think that works on Apple. They use iCloud (which has had major issues, though that is a separate thing) for their automatic backup. I could be wrong. I have not played with iOS that much.
As far as I'm aware, it doesn't work as nicely as it does on Android, but Google Photos seems to work okay once you get used to it. Our head office is pushing for Google Apps across all schools, and most of the IT people at head office use iPhones. At our development day a few months ago he was showing Google Photos on his iPhone / Google account and it looked like the sync was pretty good.

Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA

Unread 11-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #11
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
As far as I'm aware, it doesn't work as nicely as it does on Android, but Google Photos seems to work okay once you get used to it. Our head office is pushing for Google Apps across all schools, and most of the IT people at head office use iPhones. At our development day a few months ago he was showing Google Photos on his iPhone / Google account and it looked like the sync was pretty good.
Good info. Thanks.

I am highly supportive of getting Google products into schools. Specifically, Chromebooks.
Unread 11-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #12
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Quote:
Good info. Thanks.

I am highly supportive of getting Google products into schools. Specifically, Chromebooks.
I luuuurve my Chromebook.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #13
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Facetime is one compelling reason. Though I will say that there are several cross-platform apps that will accomplish exactly what Facetime does. My niece started college this semester out of state, and uses Facebook Messenger's video chat to a quite good effect. Still, I don't see issue if you do switch for that reason. Facetime works remarkably well.
One of the reasons is said parents will pretty much only use facetime, and my wife has to have an iphone for some job functions. Also, I haven't mentioned this, but with the hefty discount my job gets on macs... I now have a macbook air dualbooting Sierra and windows 8.1

Quote:
I am not much of one for cloud storage. I use redundant drives. I keep a photo backup hidden in my car, and garage as well as multiple computers. (I figure anything that takes out my computer won't take out the car on the street.) And wedding and kid photos are really the only truly irreplaceable data I have.

My Life.
Unread 11-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #14
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I luuuurve my Chromebook.
Eh, I certainly see the merit but... managing them (specifically enrolling them) isn't much fun. I'm also having a lot of problems setting up printers (but that mostly has to do with our PaperCut software deciding not to play nice).

The Google Management console is reasonably nice (and I do like how instantaneous policy changes are). It can be easy to get lost or have trouble finding a specific setting though.

Quote:
I am not much of one for cloud storage. I use redundant drives. I keep a photo backup hidden in my car, and garage as well as multiple computers. (I figure anything that takes out my computer won't take out the car on the street.) And wedding and kid photos are really the only truly irreplaceable data I have.
I don't really trust cloud storage a buttload either, but I definitely do use it in addition to other backups.

Unread 11-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #15
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post

I don't really trust cloud storage a buttload either, but I definitely do use it in addition to other backups.
Honestly, I tend to have fairly huge digital archives spanning back a long way. I kind of have my own cloud. I do have some cloud storage, but its just the essentials.

My Life.