Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Sports & Outdoors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #76
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,916
How many of you knew who Luke Maye was before this weekend?

He was actually recruited by several schools (including Gonzaga) but his father was a QB for the UNC football team and Luke wanted to be a Tar Heel.

We're glad he's here.

He was named MVP/MOS in the regional last night in Memphis and according to the official NCAA Twitter account (and several other media outlets), he was in his 8:00 business class this morning.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...140993023.html

__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Nothing (Without You) on YouTube
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.

Last edited by Leboman; 03-27-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #77
Art
Superfly.
Administrator
 
Art's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 41,572
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
How many of you knew who Luke Maye was before this weekend?

He was actually recruited by several schools (including Gonzaga) but his father was a QB for the UNC football team and Luke wanted to be a Tar Heel.

We're glad he's here.

He was named MVP/MOS in the regional last night in Memphis and according to the official NCAA Twitter account (and several other media outlets), he was in his 8:00 business class this morning.

UNC
That. Is. Awesome.

When I heard this morning that he was a walk-on, I was very surprised.

At this point, I really want UNC/SC.

But I also have to root for my Pac-12, so... Go(ish) Ducks?
__________________
Flickr.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #78
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
That. Is. Awesome.

When I heard this morning that he was a walk-on, I was very surprised.

At this point, I really want UNC/SC.

But I also have to root for my Pac-12, so... Go(ish) Ducks?
He's not a walk-on this season. He was a recruited player in high school (see previous post) but chose to attend UNC and walk-on. A scholarship freed up this year and he got it. It's not like he's one of "those guys" who only come in with a twenty point lead and only a minute left. He's been coming in to cover the bigs all season when they are tired or in foul trouble. He just got hot here and now people see that he is actually a smart (and pretty good) baller. I predict he'll be a starter before he graduates.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Nothing (Without You) on YouTube
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 06:54 AM   #79
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,916
One. More. Game.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Nothing (Without You) on YouTube
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #80
Art
Superfly.
Administrator
 
Art's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 41,572
paid
The end of that game was crazy. Oregon could have boxed out and had a chance to win. North Carolina could have made some free throws, and iced it. Nobody wanted to dance.
__________________
Flickr.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 02:17 PM   #81
is still learning...
 
TunerSteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2006
Location: The Heartland
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
He's not a walk-on this season. He was a recruited player in high school (see previous post) but chose to attend UNC and walk-on. A scholarship freed up this year and he got it. It's not like he's one of "those guys" who only come in with a twenty point lead and only a minute left. He's been coming in to cover the bigs all season when they are tired or in foul trouble. He just got hot here and now people see that he is actually a smart (and pretty good) baller. I predict he'll be a starter before he graduates.
Being a Kansas fan, I'm quite familiar with Coach Williams tactics with players like him. He never fails to find talent in individuals, and make the most of it, if that player buys in and puts in the work. I suppose I normally would root for the "little school that could" such as Gonzaga, but I've always had an affinity for North Carolina, since the days they had Coach Smith, a graduate of Topeka (ks) High, and KU. Looking forward to a great game, and I say Go 'Heels!
TunerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #82
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerSteve View Post
Being a Kansas fan, I'm quite familiar with Coach Williams tactics with players like him. He never fails to find talent in individuals, and make the most of it, if that player buys in and puts in the work. I suppose I normally would root for the "little school that could" such as Gonzaga, but I've always had an affinity for North Carolina, since the days they had Coach Smith, a graduate of Topeka (ks) High, and KU. Looking forward to a great game, and I say Go 'Heels!
With few exceptions, Tar Heels have always felt as if Kansas was our sister school. Unless they are facing UNC, I always pull for the Jayhawks.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Nothing (Without You) on YouTube
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2017, 05:45 PM   #83
Art
Superfly.
Administrator
 
Art's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 41,572
paid
All of the local sports talk radio are talking about how everybody is pulling for Gonzaga...

I don't know. I'm not.
__________________
Flickr.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2017, 07:12 PM   #84
Rey de CGR
Administrator
 
DaGeek's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 13,391
paid
I only hope UNC wins because I have family from NC. And Gonzaga has a weird name.
__________________
I am most definitely a guy.


Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2017, 09:16 PM   #85
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,916
I actually quit watching. The officiating is so bad that I started yelling at the TV. I ain't going to do that tonight.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Nothing (Without You) on YouTube
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2017, 06:57 AM   #86
Deets Go Here
 
bravesfan007's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Right Behind You
Posts: 14,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman
I actually quit watching. The officiating is so bad that I started yelling at the TV. I ain't going to do that tonight.
But they won, Lee! The Tarheels won!

(I also saw a lot of people complaining about the officials.)
__________________
If you are offended by most posts, please do not feel alone. I am an equal opportunity offender. I will offend everyone.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #87
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan007 View Post
But they won, Lee! The Tarheels won!

(I also saw a lot of people complaining about the officials.)
I recorded the game so I did go home and watch the rest of it.

Ugly game with terrible officiating on both ends. That crew should be banned from tournament play.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Nothing (Without You) on YouTube
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #88
Art
Superfly.
Administrator
 
Art's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 41,572
paid
I'm so sick of the farce the game has become because of officials. I've seen too many games decided by bad calls and bad no calls. I've pretty much stopped watching basketball altogether, and it is a big part of why.
__________________
Flickr.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #89
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I'm so sick of the farce the game has become because of officials. I've seen too many games decided by bad calls and bad no calls. I've pretty much stopped watching basketball altogether, and it is a big part of why.
Monday's night game could have been one for the ages but the whistle-happy refs destroyed any flow that either team managed to generate. Both teams were in the one-in-one seven minutes into the second half. Ridiculous.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Nothing (Without You) on YouTube
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #90
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
Monday's night game could have been one for the ages but the whistle-happy refs destroyed any flow that either team managed to generate. Both teams were in the one-in-one seven minutes into the second half. Ridiculous.
I have gone back and watched it again and I may have to change my opinion slightly. After doing some reading I discovered that Gonzaga and UNC are two of the teams who fouled the most during the entire season. I know UNC was because I watched nearly all of their games. Gonzaga fouled a lot as well. Both teams take it inside with really big guys and play aggressive, physical ball. There's no wonder a bunch of fouls were called. It is true that both teams shot poorly but they both play excellent defense. It was a choppy game due to all the contact and that probably contributed to shooters never getting into a good rhythm.

The refs did miss some calls on both ends but if you watch closely and listen to the post-game interviews, no players or coaches (from either side) suggest that the officiating destroyed the game. One could argue that they wouldn't even if they believed it but go back and watch Calipari after UNC beat them. He all but says that the refs kept his team from competing.

As a Tar Heel fan...I am officially enjoying this one now.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Nothing (Without You) on YouTube
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:29 AM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2