Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Sports & Outdoors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-28-2016, 09:54 AM   #76
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerSteve View Post
That KC/Denver game was an instant classic. One in which it's hard to watch either team come away with a loss. Battling all night long, and more than once I thought it was over for KC, but resilient they were for sure.

If I were a betting man, right now I believe Dallas is the team to beat in the entire NFL. It's shaping up to be a great push toward the playoffs and super bowl.
I always worry about the Patriots but they looked very vulnerable yesterday, even in a win. If Gronk stays hurt that could cause them some concern.

I am a very cautious Cowboys fan. I really, honestly believe this could be our year but I know just how quickly things can turn.

How about Justin Tucker? Dude is money. And he had the best post-game comment I have seen in years.

Updog

Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #77
is still learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post

How about Justin Tucker? Dude is money. And he had the best post-game comment I have seen in years.

Updog
I watched that game off and on, and have to give Harbaugh credit for the way the game ended. Knowing the rulebook, and applying it correctly can lead to positive results. The only thing that might have been better is to have the punter jog toward the sidelines instead of taking the safety. Justin Tucker is one of those kickers that has supreme confidence, and that is crucial to having success in the NFL. If your fantasy league rewards kicks in excess of 50 yards, he's your man for sure!
TunerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #78
Old School
Administrator

Dropping Thursday Night Football?

I have seen this discussed on most of the sports talk shows. I think it's inevitable.
Unread 11-28-2016, 11:45 AM   #79
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I know TNF and MNF drive the subscriber interest, but I think the league does take a hit by not having those games available to the general public.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #80
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I know TNF and MNF drive the subscriber interest, but I think the league does take a hit by not having those games available to the general public.
I have the NFL Network with Direct TV so I get to see the ones not on regular television. I wouldn't pay extra for it though.

I think things like the NFL Network's Sunday show (which shows highlights and updates from every game) may hurt viewing as well. I use it to follow the games not being televised but I actually put it there all afternoon yesterday because Dallas wasn't playing.

Last edited by Leboman; 11-28-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Unread 11-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #81
is still learning...

Quote:
Dropping Thursday Night Football?

I have seen this discussed on most of the sports talk shows. I think it's inevitable.
A part of me liked it better when all the games were Sunday, and one on Monday. I don't ever want it to get to the point like baseball when the games are constant, and standings harder to decipher.

I also forget to set my fantasy lineup on quite a few Thursday night games, because I work 12 hour shifts, and my memory is bad. If there was suddenly no Thursday night games, I doubt anyone would care. I suppose there may be some businesses that experience a slight increase (sports bars/rest), but how many people go out to catch a game, when you have to work in the morning.

The bigger issue that I figure will come eventually, is when they try to expand to other countries, (London, Mexico City, etc) the scheduling hassels and travel issues will be problematic.
Unread 11-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #82
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerSteve View Post
A part of me liked it better when all the games were Sunday, and one on Monday. I don't ever want it to get to the point like baseball when the games are constant, and standings harder to decipher.

I also forget to set my fantasy lineup on quite a few Thursday night games, because I work 12 hour shifts, and my memory is bad. If there was suddenly no Thursday night games, I doubt anyone would care. I suppose there may be some businesses that experience a slight increase (sports bars/rest), but how many people go out to catch a game, when you have to work in the morning.

The bigger issue that I figure will come eventually, is when they try to expand to other countries, (London, Mexico City, etc) the scheduling hassels and travel issues will be problematic.
I know that some players have expressed concern about the quick turnaround after a Thursday night game. It doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal but I'm not a player so I can legitimately comment.

The occasional Thursday night game in the pre-season or the post-season doesn't seem so bad but having one every single Thursday during the season seems a bit much.
Unread 11-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #83
Old School
Administrator

I've been reading back on some of the things sports writers were saying at the start of the season concerning Dallas.

On August 29, Steve Ruiz wrote this for USA Today.

If Romo does return midseason and manages to stay healthy, the Cowboys have three winnable games in the first half: Cleveland, San Francisco and Chicago. If they manage to pull off one more win and go 4-4 before Romo returns, this team could easily win the NFC East.

A September 8 article for SportsDay collected the following predictions.

ESPN ranked the Cowboys 23rd of the NFL's 32 teams heading into the season, a low ranking Todd Archer attributes to dependency on Tony Romo and defensive weakness. They also mention Football Power Index data that project the Cowboys to win 7.6 games with a 34.7 percent chance of making the playoffs. Most likely win is Oct. 30 when the Eagles come to town (76.3% chance) while toughest predicted is at Green Bay on Oct. 16 (20.4%). Odds of winning the Super Bowl are a slim 25-to-1. How do you feel about that, Cowboy Nation?

SI doesn't rank teams in full, but 12 NFL writers and editors filled out playoff brackets. Only two, Greg Bedard and Austin Murphy, anticipate Dallas playoff berths. Neither expect the Cowboys to win the game. On the award predictions? Zeke is their unanimous prediction for offensive rookie of the year.

Fox Sports' Cameron DaSilva was more favorable to the Cowboys in his Week 1 power rankings than most national sites. Slotting Dallas at 12th, he predicts a 9-7 season in which Dak, Zeke and Dez hold down the fort until Romo returns midseason. "Dallas can take advantage of a mediocre division with no clear front-runner," DaSilva writes.
Unread 12-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #84
Old School
Administrator

An ugly win is still a win...right?

11-1 with four games left. If Tampa or Washington lose on Sunday, the Cowboys clinch a playoff spot. When was the last time we could say that?
Unread 12-03-2016, 11:56 PM   #85
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Gronk is out for the season. Done.
Unread 12-04-2016, 07:46 AM   #86
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Gronk is out for the season. Done.
So is Cutler.
Unread 12-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #87
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
The 49ers are a massive dumpster fire. Kaepernick got benched after only being allowed to attempt 5 passes. Gabbert came in, and had 3 consecutive pass plays called. Gabbert was, of course, awful. He underthrew just about every pass.

The defense is, quite literally, the worst I have ever watched at the NFL level. Bears receivers were wide open all day. Barkley had all day to throw. Huge running holes.

I didn't see most of the first half, but the second half was pathetic.
Unread 12-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #88
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
The 49ers are a massive dumpster fire. Kaepernick got benched after only being allowed to attempt 5 passes. Gabbert came in, and had 3 consecutive pass plays called. Gabbert was, of course, awful. He underthrew just about every pass.

The defense is, quite literally, the worst I have ever watched at the NFL level. Bears receivers were wide open all day. Barkley had all day to throw. Huge running holes.

I didn't see most of the first half, but the second half was pathetic.
When the Bears (without Cutler) are kicking your butt...well...that's bad. Even with one win, I think San Fran may actually be worse than Cleveland.
Unread 12-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #89
Old School
Administrator

Man. The Jets are really bad. I enjoyed seeing the different fan responses in the stands. My favorite?

Several fans had shirts that read:

J ust
E ndure
T he
S uffering

Brutal.
Unread 12-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #90
is still learning...

Quote:
Man. The Jets are really bad. I enjoyed seeing the different fan responses in the stands. My favorite?

Several fans had shirts that read:

J ust
E ndure
T he
S uffering

Brutal.
I'm remembering a local sports talk host in KC pleading with the Chiefs management on air to make Gino Smith the first pick of the draft a few years back. As a listener I was shouting at my radio "NO". Not that Eric Fisher has been an all pro, but even in my limited viewership of college football, I didn't see Gino being a starter in the NFL. QB's that can step in and start their rookie year are few and far between, and I'm glad the Chiefs never made that pick, and spent that money on him.

Jets fans are kind of fun sometimes, brutal newspapers for the players when the team isn't winning, but big rewards in endorsements when the win. Got to love fans that continue to show up, even if they wear bags on their heads,