LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Orthodox Church Leader Arrested for Evangelising

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/slic...sm-take-effect

This doesn't sound good.

It seems unclear whether this was for evangelising or maybe making political statements (not that one can separate the two).

Maybe he was denouncing the Russian government for what they have done in Ukraine?

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-01-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
Obnoxodox

paid
This guy isn't Orthodox. He's a Protestant, but it sounds like he's a Protestant with very Orthodox sympathies...

I'm out of town at the moment, but I'll provide a fuller analysis of what I think is going on here when I have some time to spare, hopefully soon.

Last edited by IsaactheSyrian; 09-01-2016 at 02:18 PM.
IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaactheSyrian View Post
This guy isn't Orthodox. He's a Protestant.
At the least, he considers himself to be Orthodox.

I don't think he would be considered Protestant, no matter whether or not you want to consider him to be a part of your specific branch of Christianity.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #4
Obnoxodox

paid
I had a whole long reply typed up, and then Firefox crashed and it disappeared into the netherworld of the internets.

Just a couple brief things to say:

The Orthodox Church is the arbiter of who belongs to it and who does not. The Church of Russia has excommunicated this Zhuravlyov fellow for heresy, though I can't find a lot of information on why, certain phrases he has put on his website ('baptized in the spirit', for example) are weird from an Orthodox perspective, since we believe in baptismal regeneration (to wit: 'baptized in the spirit' is baptism, period). Googling this guy's name and looking for him on Youtube clearly paints a picture of someone who is clearly enamored of Orthodox tradition, but who has left the Church due to some Protestant ideas.

(Note that I am not a huge fan of the Church of Russia or its Patriarch, which is why I plan to avoid parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR) if at all possible, but I recognize that he is a duly-elected Patriarch of the Orthodox Church, and thus his jurisdiction is canonical according to Orthodox norms. All I can do as a random Canadian Orthodox catechumen in a whole different jurisdiction, ((thankfully) not under Moscow), who has no idea what it is to be Russian, to grow up in Russia, to have lived under the threat of the KGB and to have had relatives sent to Siberia, is pray for Russia, its leaders, and its Church heirarchy)

Second, I can't speak for this fellow's situation, but here are some good comments about Russia's (ostensible) anti-missionary law, from an American living in Russia.

I'd say more, but the internet monster ate it. I'll say more later, perhaps.

*edit*

His Facebook profile. The Russian in the banner says: "Reformatorskaya Pravoslavnaya Tserkov Christa Slasitelya - Archipiskopiya Kyivskaya i Mezhdunarodnaya" - the Reformed Orthodox Church of Christ the Saviour - Archdiocese of Kyiv and Abroad.

Lastly, the Orthodox Church does not understand herself as a 'branch' of Christianity. It understands itself as the Church that Jesus Christ established and committed to the governance of His Apostles.

Last edited by IsaactheSyrian; 09-05-2016 at 01:23 AM.
Unread 09-04-2016, 10:51 PM   #5
Obnoxodox

paid
The other thing to note is that Russia's political culture has never been the kind that Americans or even late medieval Europeans would be happy with. Rather, its political culture at its worst was autocratic and dictatorial and at its best was a Symphonia - a technical term in Orthodox theology that means a collaboration between Church and State for the betterment of society. In the Russian mindset, to be a good Russian is to be an Orthodox Christian, much like getting elected to political office in the US means one should be a Christian - preferably some sort of Protestant.

I'd argue that much of Russia's political culture it inherited from the Byzantine Empire.