Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Recording & Live Sound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #1

12s or 15s?

I play at a weekly ministry with a little 8 channel mixer, two vocal mics and a guitar or two. Sometimes a bass, keyboard and/or a little digital drum kit. Anyway my speaker of choice has been a powered 12 which sounds good enough but the particular one I've been using weighs 50lbs and is a $500 speaker. So I just bought a less expensive, 42 lb 15" speaker that may not be as crisp with the vocals but man is that bass with the acoustic guitar addictive. It sounds so much fuller on the low end. So I was wondering what anyone out there prefers to use.

I've played through some tower systems with the sub but I've yet to get this nice full bass response. Yes the towers get low but to my ears, nothing quite moves the air like some big speakers.

Unread 08-23-2016, 10:21 PM   #2

I thought this might be a string question--and that's a big difference...
Unread 08-24-2016, 03:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman View Post
I thought this might be a string question--and that's a big difference...
Do they make 15s for strings? I've seen 8s, 9s, 10s, 11s, 11.5s, 12s, 13s and maybe even 12.5s and 10.5s and I've heard of 7s. But I've never heard of or seen 15s although I know some dobro strings are very heavy.
Unread 08-25-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Your Ad Here

back on speakers... this is one of those 'all things being equal' situations. The trouble is, all things are rarely equal! so the best I can say is, 'it depends'...

Outside the presence of actual hardware I have no preference between 12" and 15". Next time I'm hearing myself through a 15" I might get more bass than the last time I heard myself through a 12"... I might not. If you've found a sound you like, great, but don't worry if the next rig you use doesn't have 15"s. It might sound just as good, or better.
Unread 08-25-2016, 02:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratopastor View Post
back on speakers... this is one of those 'all things being equal' situations. The trouble is, all things are rarely equal! so the best I can say is, 'it depends'...

Outside the presence of actual hardware I have no preference between 12" and 15". Next time I'm hearing myself through a 15" I might get more bass than the last time I heard myself through a 12"... I might not. If you've found a sound you like, great, but don't worry if the next rig you use doesn't have 15"s. It might sound just as good, or better.
Excellent points made here. Thank you. I do have a 12" sub that when matched with the right top speaker has a great bass sound.

A $200 15 vs. a $900 12 contest may result in the 12 having better bass response.

Stratopastor is right: it all depends.
Unread 04-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #6

its just up tp you your preferences, I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed with 15s depending on the brand, and if your going to build
Othy1981 is offline   Reply With Quote