Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-11-2016, 01:30 AM   #1
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
DOJ Report on Baltimore PD

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57...b0db3be07c7e8a

This is very scary. It seems that problems with BPD go deep. And, the stuff in this report are rather dark.

I wonder, especially from those on here who are law enforcement or have regular interactions with law enforcement: is there is a systemic problem with policing tactics in general? Is this a nationwide problem with how police are taught to do their jobs? Do you think that this probably occurs only in very specific areas?

The DOJ is apparently doing a whole lot of these investigation, so I guess data will increase and an argument either way will seem more credible. But, I've been seeing more and more reports that suggest that there are issues that go to the core of how many police are taught to do policing and interact with communities. And, as well, a good friend who is a criminologist agrees (he also was a police officer for a time in California).

Not trying to open up a giant can of worms, as I know this is a touchy subject. But, it is a big issue right now. It forms a part of the wider discourse that is being championed by Black Lives Matters, for instance (the narrative that black people are treated differently by cops, and that they are profiled unfairly).

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #2
Old School
Administrator

There was a short period in my life where I seriously considered going into law enforcement. I was 21 years old and had just gotten married. The guitarist in the band I was singing in was a police officer. After spending a lot of time around him and a couple of his friends on the force I decided against it. It's not that they were bad cops but I could see how the job had made them jaded and cynical. I had enough of that in my life at the time and didn't need anything else to make it worse. Plus, I met a couple of cops who had really bad attitudes. They really thought they were the sh*t and that people owed them something. That turned me off. I realize they were the exceptions but still, it made an impression on me. There was also a notorious NC State Trooper in our area at the time. He was a total a**hole and seemed to thrive on it. He got transferred not long after someone took a shot into his bedroom window one night.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote