Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #76
assistant regional mgr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600
Not trying to be a jerk but it just seems if you believe it's OK to drink you shouldn't need to be "very careful" about it.
How does this compare with the scriptural principle regarding eating meat sacrificed to idols?

Awesome Blog
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
How does this compare with the scriptural principle regarding eating meat sacrificed to idols?
It comes down to motive and of course I have no way of knowing Lee's motives. If you're being careful so as not to cause others to trip that's one thing, if you're being careful because you're worried about your standing in the community or the security of your job as a minister that's another thing. I hope Lee knows me well enough to know I believe his motives are between him, his conscience and his God. I was making an observation, not an accusation.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #78
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
I haven't been on this site in forever but we "see" each other enough online that I think you will know this is not coming from a spirit of judgement. But I think your words could be interpreted as "I don't deny to the community or my congregation that I have a drink from time to time but.... if the get the impression that I drink regularly or more often than they think is appropriate it will diminish my standing in the community or with my congregation. So I'm VERY CAREFUL when I drink i.e. I make sure no one knows".

Not trying to be a jerk but it just seems if you believe it's OK to drink you shouldn't need to be "very careful" about it.

Ironically, I was a tee totaler when I joined this group and no longer am. I think I made a few pretty harsh posts about Christians who drink back then. Even more ironic given the post I just made....my parents and siblings don't drink so I'm "very careful".....
I need to be very careful about it because I had an alcohol problem in the past. When I have a drink (and I rarely do) I make sure that I practice moderation.

I also don't want to offend others who may feel that it is inappropriate for the minister to drink. I feel as if I am completely justified when abstaining around them. I consider them the "weaker brothers" and I don't want to do anything to cause strife. I don't feel that I'm being hypocritical either. I am simply looking out for them over my personal interests. I believe that is scriptural.

If I can have discussions with them explaining what I believe to be the biblical response and they change their opinions, great. However, that is not my mission in life. I am here to serve them even if that means abstaining.

Some may disagree with that but my conscience is clear both ways.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #79
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
It comes down to motive and of course I have no way of knowing Lee's motives. If you're being careful so as not to cause others to trip that's one thing, if you're being careful because you're worried about your standing in the community or the security of your job as a minister that's another thing. I hope Lee knows me well enough to know I believe his motives are between him, his conscience and his God. I was making an observation, not an accusation.
I think my previous post answers this.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote