Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-10-2016, 07:58 AM   #46
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 56,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan007 View Post
Maybe I should've phrased my question a little better.

What makes it gladden the heart? How can you tell? Aren't all of these based upon the emotions? Or, would you say, there is something Spiritual connected to it?
I don't think it's spiritual. It's a chemical reaction. Alcohol is a depressant, that's what it does. It reduces arousal and stimulation in the brain. It also physically relaxes the body and reduces inhibition.

__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Nothing (Without You) on YouTube
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.

Last edited by Leboman; 08-12-2016 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Me. Bad Grammar.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #47
You were brilliant!
 
WorshipJesus's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan007 View Post
Back what up with Scripture? The fact that alcohol was used as an early form of pain relief? Or the idea that Scripture that said it gladdened the heart?
I call my bad on this one. I misread what you wrote.

Quote:
I admit, I would need to research it more, but from an emotional standpoint I could see alcohol as being beneficial as it takes the edge off. Isn't that what everyone always says? I would have to dig deeper into exactly what the history of gladdened is and the idea behind it.
I think the meaning of "gladdens the heart" is that it gives a sense of relaxation and/or uplifts the spirit when consumed properly.

Quote:
I'm not arguing whether or not you can have or can't have a drink. I'm simply stating that (to me, at first glance) the alcohol would only change your emotions. It cannot change your joy. I would relate it more to happiness which is guided by feelings versus joy which is rooted in Christ and a fruit of the Spirit. I'm not sure alcohol can produce joy as it is not the Holy Spirit.
100% agree!
__________________
Guess what! I'm a wellness coach and I help people be healthier! How? With Herbalife! (I fixed the link!)

Beards are classy. Have class. Grow a beard.
WorshipJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2016, 06:41 AM   #48
Deets Go Here
 
bravesfan007's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Right Behind You
Posts: 14,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorshipJesus
I call my bad on this one. I misread what you wrote. I think the meaning of "gladdens the heart" is that it gives a sense of relaxation and/or uplifts the spirit when consumed properly. 100% agree!
It's alright about misreading. It happens to me all the time.
__________________
If you are offended by most posts, please do not feel alone. I am an equal opportunity offender. I will offend everyone.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #49
Registered User
 
earlessdog's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,782
paid
My thoughts on Alcohol use as a Christian, without reading through this thread in its entirety.
I'm currently in a bit of a tough position with alcohol. I very much enjoy alcohol, though I am somewhat allergic now (beer stuffs me up, too much hard liquor will stuff me up) but I grew up in a family that believed alcohol was bad, at least it was never brought into our house. Now that my siblings and myself are all adults and married etc, we all drink with ease of conscience.
I think my parents beliefs stemmed from my mom growing up in a post mennonite colony family, in which many mennonite beliefs remained with them. My dad grew up very conservative, but more so one of my dads brothers (who is very close to our family, like another immediate member) is a chronic alcoholic, and my father has been the one that has stuck with him and seen the damage fist hand.

I respect that, but I still drink in my home when I feel like it. Recently though, I've been rethinking my alcohol consumption. A year and a half ago we moved to a more northern area of Saskatchewan, more similar to where I grew up. In the community we live in, there is pretty well a split geographic between First Nations people (mostly Cree) and white people. My wife teaches on one of the local reserves, and I work at a soup kitchen/food bank organization, which deals primarily with the First Nations people here. Among First Nations in Canada there is a intense problem with alcohol and drugs, and since our ministry is with these people we've been rethinking our usage. Alcohol just isn't seen in the same way, it's a symbol of a long history of abuse, oppression,colonialization (not always consciously), and now we have a teenage girl living with us from one of the reserves that has come from a family situation of foster care, drag and alcohol and physical abuse, and general atmosphere and living conditions that would definitely be a chock to a regular privileged white person.

Since she came I hid our alcohol, for fear she may sneak it or think differently of us if she sees us drink it, because like I said alcohol isn't used as a occasional drink where she is from.

Sometimes I wonder if avoiding alcohol in general is a safer thing to do in most environments, at least around me.
__________________
And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong, and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #50
Gone
 
Ted Logan's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 9,167
I wouldn't put this up in lights over the door to my study, but most of my ministry leaders know that if they want to schedule a beer appointment or a coffee meeting with me, the beverage of their choice will also be my choice. I have a beer appointment with one of them tonight, and a coffee meeting at 8:30 tomorrow morning.

I think Sean has the best experiential wisdom for us in this.
__________________
broccolifish at SoundCloud - synthpop and chiptunes I've made

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!


Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2017, 01:15 PM   #51
Bears Football and Guitar
 
Guitarbite1985's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2008
Location: 1/50 chance to guess my state
Posts: 154
Abstaining from Alcohol

You know, this is a hot topic for a lot of churches, study groups, and many individuals across the Christian spectrum. I believe I can say this with certainty that it is highly frowned upon by the overall population of Christians. With that being said, I would like to share about a growing group that my friends have started and would like to see everyone's opinions about it.

I keep tabs with my friends through facebook since I live 800 miles away from them. They started a bible study called "Beer 'n' Bible." They usually meet up in a bar, order a brew, and study the Bible. It's no more than that. They view it as an opportunity to share Christ; as when they are seen, people scratch their heads and become curious about what they are doing. The men that orchestrate this group are highly regarded in their churches, and among their friends and peers.

With that being said, I don't hold alcohol use above gluttony (used as an example) since I, personally, see these issues as being equal. I think there is a difference between having a brew, and getting sloshed to the point that you make foolish decisions. These are just my personal opinions, and I know people will disagree with me, but I wanted to share this with the thread.
__________________
Josh
claybar85@gmail.com
Guitarbite1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #52
Illegal Immigrant
 
Austinn's Avatar
 

Joined: Mar 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarbite1985
You know, this is a hot topic for a lot of churches, study groups, and many individuals across the Christian spectrum. I believe I can say this with certainty that it is highly frowned upon by the overall population of Christians. With that being said, I would like to share about a growing group that my friends have started and would like to see everyone's opinions about it. I keep tabs with my friends through facebook since I live 800 miles away from them. They started a bible study called "Beer 'n' Bible." They usually meet up in a bar, order a brew, and study the Bible. It's no more than that. They view it as an opportunity to share Christ; as when they are seen, people scratch their heads and become curious about what they are doing. The men that orchestrate this group are highly regarded in their churches, and among their friends and peers. With that being said, I don't hold alcohol use above gluttony (used as an example) since I, personally, see these issues as being equal. I think there is a difference between having a brew, and getting sloshed to the point that you make foolish decisions. These are just my personal opinions, and I know people will disagree with me, but I wanted to share this with the thread.
Romans 14:3 "The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them."
Personally, I have lived in a very hurt community caused by a mixture of drugs and alcohol. I know women who are a abused physically and verbally due to alcohol abuse. My girlfriend was mentally and verbally abused before her dad left, so for this reason, I have chosen to abstain from alcohol. I understand that not ever person who drinks becomes a drunk, but I don't trust myself enough to figure out.
As for anyone else who chooses to drink, I will claim Romans 14:3, say my kudos, and bid them a good time.
__________________
"He hath given me rest by his sorrow, and life by his death." ~John Bunyan
Austinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #53
Art
Superfly.
Administrator
 
Art's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 41,595
paid
The vast majority of Christians I know do not frown on alcohol. Even the ones who do not partake are not against others doing so. I don't tend to run in the super legalistic or ultra conservative circles, though.
__________________
Flickr.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2017, 01:56 PM   #54
Illegal Immigrant
 
Austinn's Avatar
 

Joined: Mar 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
The vast majority of Christians I know do not frown on alcohol. Even the ones who do not partake are not against others doing so. I don't tend to run in the super legalistic or ultra conservative circles, though.
It really depends on where you live and who you are surrounded by. More depressed or rural areas see it as a problem, partly because it is a factor to which they became depressed.
__________________
"He hath given me rest by his sorrow, and life by his death." ~John Bunyan
Austinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #55
Art
Superfly.
Administrator
 
Art's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 41,595
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinn View Post
It really depends on where you live and who you are surrounded by. More depressed or rural areas see it as a problem, partly because it is a factor to which they became depressed.
Right, and in those areas I think there is much more of an argument against it, though it is more a cultural argument than a biblical one.
__________________
Flickr.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #56
Illegal Immigrant
 
Austinn's Avatar
 

Joined: Mar 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Right, and in those areas I think there is much more of an argument against it, though it is more a cultural argument than a biblical one.
Yes. I would agree with that. So living in one of those earlier stated areas, I've personally decided against it, no disrespect to those who do, just my own personal decision.
__________________
"He hath given me rest by his sorrow, and life by his death." ~John Bunyan
Austinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2017, 02:22 PM   #57
assistant regional mgr.
 
Dwight Schrute's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 5,546
I disagree. and subsequently, you are not a Christian.

/that being the level of deep thought I traditional see on this topic out in the wild
__________________


Awesome Blog
Dwight Schrute is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2017, 03:46 PM   #58
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 56,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinn View Post
It really depends on where you live and who you are surrounded by. More depressed or rural areas see it as a problem, partly because it is a factor to which they became depressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Right, and in those areas I think there is much more of an argument against it, though it is more a cultural argument than a biblical one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinn View Post
Yes. I would agree with that. So living in one of those earlier stated areas, I've personally decided against it, no disrespect to those who do, just my own personal decision.
I live in an extremely rural area and the general consensus among most folks is that alcohol ruins lives. That's not just in Christian circles either. That is one reason I am VERY careful about my rare intake.

Although I did have a very tasty beer not too long ago: Stone Mint Coffee Milk Stout.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Nothing (Without You) on YouTube
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #59
Art
Superfly.
Administrator
 
Art's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 41,595
paid
Stone is a great brewery. I've not had that particular one, but I have had their regular coffee milk stout on nitro, and it was incredible.
__________________
Flickr.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #60
Lo, He comes...
 
IsaactheSyrian's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 8,917
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarbite1985 View Post
You know, this is a hot topic for a lot of churches, study groups, and many individuals across the Christian spectrum. I believe I can say this with certainty that it is highly frowned upon by the overall population of Christians. With that being said, I would like to share about a growing group that my friends have started and would like to see everyone's opinions about it.
Really now? By accounts there are about 2.2 billion Christians in the world, most of whom are Roman Catholics, followed closely by the Orthodox.

They typically have no problem with drinking. I can tell you for certain that it is only a very small subset of fundamentalist Protestantism that has a problem with alcohol.
__________________
I believe, O Lord, and I confess, that You are truly the Christ, the Son of the Living God, who came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the chief...
~ Ryan Isaac

Lo! How a rose e'er blooming from tender stem hath sprung,
Of Jesse's lineage coming, as seers of old hath sung,
It came a flower bright, amid the cold of winter,
When half-spent was the night.

Isaiah t'was foretold it, the rose I have in mind,
With Mary we behold it, the Virgin Mother kind,
To show God's love aright, she bore to us a Saviour,
When half-spent was the night.

O flower whose fragrance tender with gladness fills the air,
Dispel with glorious speldour the darkness everywhere,
True man, yet very God! From sin and death He saves us,
And lightens every load.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2