Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #16
Obnoxodox

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood View Post
At times i abstain because of culture or because of the influence i have at that time. Other times i drink but never to the point where i lose control.
Alcohol should never be food for dogs.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #17
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaactheSyrian View Post
Alcohol should never be food for dogs.
Pretty sure you're thinking of chocolate.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2016, 03:30 AM   #18
Obnoxodox

paid
3 Reasons Dogs Should Never Drink Alcohol

Dogs have problems with ethanol for the same reason they have problems with chocolate - their livers aren't built to metabolize ethanol in the same way they're not built to metabolize theobromine (the offending component in chocolate). Because they metabolize both substances incredibly slowly and are much smaller than a human, both substances built up to toxic levels very quickly.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #19
Super Mom

paid
The church I grew up in put wine in a different category. It was okay to have wine with dinner, because then it's part of the meal. Drinking alcohol at other times was considered "entertainment" and not acceptable. Anyone else encounter this?
Unread 07-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #20
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlMom View Post
The church I grew up in put wine in a different category. It was okay to have wine with dinner, because then it's part of the meal. Drinking alcohol at other times was considered "entertainment" and not acceptable. Anyone else encounter this?
Growing up in the south pretty much meant that all drinking was considered off limits. It didn't help that I lived across the street from a bona fide redneck biker joint and saw the absolute worst things about alcohol on a nightly basis.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2016, 05:47 PM   #21
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
So, what about challenging errors? I know it is taxing to say "but actually, God never commands against alcohol", but a lot of Christian culture has been shifting with respect to alcohol. I think it's becoming easier, and we should just continue on that path. It isn't healthy to teach something is a sin, when it is "rules taught by men"-- there will be legitimate distrust on other issues, say no-fault-divorce/remarriage, homosexuality, premarital sex, and a bunch of other issues Christianity goes against the culture on.

They want to stop the ones who want
Prosthetic foreheads on their heads
But everybody wants prosthetic
Foreheads on their real heads

We Want a Rock, They Might Be Giants

Hidden?
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2016, 06:51 PM   #22
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos View Post
So, what about challenging errors? I know it is taxing to say "but actually, God never commands against alcohol", but a lot of Christian culture has been shifting with respect to alcohol. I think it's becoming easier, and we should just continue on that path. It isn't healthy to teach something is a sin, when it is "rules taught by men"-- there will be legitimate distrust on other issues, say no-fault-divorce/remarriage, homosexuality, premarital sex, and a bunch of other issues Christianity goes against the culture on.
I think if the opportunity presents itself we should. That being said, I don't think it's something I prepared to force upon people who are coming from a different perspective.

Truthfully, I can find more compelling reasons to not drink than I can to support it. I think this clearly falls into the "opinion" category and I'm willing to allow room for differences. For me I'm willing to say that the Bible doesn't condemn alcohol but I still believe Christians should be very careful about how they approach it. I think we'd all be better off if we didn't drink.

Once again...just one humble man's opinion.
Unread 07-31-2016, 04:57 PM   #23
Super Mom

paid
My brother wouldn't go to church because he was a smoker, and he felt that people judged him because they could smell smoke on him. Does a pastor/church that takes a position against alcohol seem unwelcoming to people who enjoy a beer or a glass of wine? Just thinking out loud.
Unread 07-31-2016, 05:26 PM   #24
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Quote:
My brother wouldn't go to church because he was a smoker, and he felt that people judged him because they could smell smoke on him. Does a pastor/church that takes a position against alcohol seem unwelcoming to people who enjoy a beer or a glass of wine? Just thinking out loud.
A church that took a stance entirely against alcohol would certainly be a turn off to me. Beyond my own personal beliefs, I have a lot of friends that are drinkers, both Christian and not.
Unread 07-31-2016, 06:35 PM   #25
assistant regional mgr.

You guys are hitting my root beef with this topic. The subtle or not so subtle legalism that can get dished out by congregations on smoking or drinking. People are messy and imperfect in many different ways. Taking a vocal legalistic stance in the wrong way can chase off the very people that church is for. The guy smoking outside the front door may have less sin issues than the guy behind the pulpit, but gets the bum wrap. I struggle with this.

Awesome Blog
Dwight Schrute is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #26
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
I don't take a particular position as a pastor as far as the congregation goes. We have members I know smoke and we have some I know drink. I don't think any less of them. We do have some members who are classic teetotalers and I sometimes wonder if they might not frighten some folks off. As far as the church goes, we don't have a position. We do have a no alcohol on the grounds and a no smoking in the building policy but I think that's something different.

FWIW...I'm not even a teetotaler. I am sure that at some point I will have another beer or cigar. I just don't want it to become a habit again.
Unread 08-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #27

This falls under the heading of lawful but not profitable...
It is lawful to drink (not get drunk)--but is it profitable?
Maybe in some cases it is & in some it isn't.

That said I have been in pubs with pastors more than once--never seen any of them get drunk though.
(One or more pastor--usually more than one)
Unread 08-08-2016, 04:30 PM   #28
You were brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman View Post
This falls under the heading of lawful but not profitable...
It is lawful to drink (not get drunk)--but is it profitable?
Maybe in some cases it is & in some it isn't.
It can't be a blanket statement. Alcohol was created to make hearts glad. The only times it isn't profitable is when one drinks against his conscience, knowingly in the presence of one whose conscience is sensitive towards alcohol, or when one drinks to excess (on purpose or not).

Beards are classy. Have class. Grow a beard.
WorshipJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #29
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorshipJesus View Post
It can't be a blanket statement. Alcohol was created to make hearts glad. The only times it isn't profitable is when one drinks against his conscience, knowingly in the presence of one whose conscience is sensitive towards alcohol, or when one drinks to excess (on purpose or not).
Actually, I don't think you can definitively say that it was created to make hearts glad. I know those verses but I think that is stretching it a bit.
Unread 08-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
As some that was a pastor for 8 years and is literally typing this I'm in out patient treatment for alcohol abuse while unemployed....

Alcohol wasn't the problem. My response to stress and warning signs was the problem.

Being able to model what healthy behavior looks like is important to people and I think that includes displaying moderation with alcohol.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote