Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-22-2016, 03:56 AM   #1

pickup swap question

Doing a swap from Active EMG to passive Seymour Duncan in my Epi LP, swapping all the electronics, Where do you guys buy replacement Volume and Tone pots and a 3 way selector switch?

aljb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-22-2016, 05:52 AM   #2

GFS guitar fetish has good prices. I have a local music store that stocks these items so I don't mind paying a little more to have them same day.

Yamaha LL16MARE AC3R LLX6A CPX700iiS-12 FGX730SCA SLG100S Revstar 502T FG230 Pacifica012 Revstar 320 Weddington Special PSRE433

Conrad Resonator

Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI

Ibanez EDB405

Peavey VYPRY VIP 2 Sanpera I TKO 115
Epiphone Valve Jr combo
Vox Night Train G2 CH1
Yamaha THR5

TC Electronics Ditto Vocalist Live 3 MXR Carbon Copy
Electro Harmonix Boost L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic DI

Yamaha MG82CX MG16XU MSR400 Kustom PA50 KPC210MP

Blue Encore 100 200 Heil PR20 EV Cobalt Co9 MXL 990/991 Sennheiser E935 AKG D5LX
mathminnick31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathminnick31 View Post
GFS guitar fetish has good prices. I have a local music store that stocks these items so I don't mind paying a little more to have them same day.
I checked out the website they have a boat load of stuff, Thanks,
aljb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #4
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljb17 View Post
Doing a swap from Active EMG to passive Seymour Duncan in my Epi LP, swapping all the electronics, Where do you guys buy replacement Volume and Tone pots and a 3 way selector switch?
I buy CTS 500k long shaft pots on ebay. Better quality than GFS. switchcraft switch.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #5

If I'm using Seymour Duncan pickups I use Seymour Duncan pots. Check out the Seymour Duncan website. On Epiphone I would use a Gibson switch.

Seymour Duncan: Guitar Pickups, Bass Pickups, Pedals

http://www.seymourduncan.com/accessories/all

If I couldn't find a Gibson switch then I would use good name brand like Dimarzio. I've also order a lot of gear and parts from MF over the last 15 years with not problems at all.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/toggl...switch&index=5

The reason I use part like this when I do upgrades on gear is because I then know it's an actual upgrade and I take my time and make sure very neat.
Unread 07-27-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
If I'm using Seymour Duncan pickups I use Seymour Duncan pots. Check out the Seymour Duncan website. On Epiphone I would use a Gibson switch.

Seymour Duncan: Guitar Pickups, Bass Pickups, Pedals

All | Seymour Duncan

If I couldn't find a Gibson switch then I would use good name brand like Dimarzio. I've also order a lot of gear and parts from MF over the last 15 years with not problems at all.

DiMarzio Switchcraft Toggle Switch for Gibson | Musician's Friend

The reason I use part like this when I do upgrades on gear is because I then know it's an actual upgrade and I take my time and make sure very neat.
Gibson uses switchcraft, FYI. CTS and bourns make the pots for seymour duncan, Gibson, and dimarzio.

It is often cheaper to get the non-third party branded pieces, and buy the part used in the highest tier of instruments with less branding.

My Life.
Unread 07-27-2016, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Gibson uses switchcraft, FYI. CTS and bourns make the pots for seymour duncan, Gibson, and dimarzio.

It is often cheaper to get the non-third party branded pieces, and buy the part used in the highest tier of instruments with less branding.
When I upgrade I'm not looking for cheaper. I'm looking to say name brand parts from quality manufactures were/are used through out and it was done professionally and everything looks the part. If I sell one of my guitars I offer to lift the hood as well and it looks great.
Unread 07-28-2016, 01:07 AM   #8
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post

When I upgrade I'm not looking for cheaper. I'm looking to say name brand parts from quality manufactures were/are used through out and it was done professionally and everything looks the part. If I sell one of my guitars I offer to lift the hood as well and it looks great.
Well, I got for the same parts that the highest end builders use. CTS or Bournes are the industry standard. I am talking more respected names in general than using pickup makers rebranded parts. I am not talking chasing out. I am not looking to spend more for an identical part from the same manufacturer. There are more expensive pots out there. But CTS is the gold standard so I use them. switchcraft is the gold standard for Gibson style toggles. If you want to pay more to pay more, that is your prerogative, but nobody who knows parts is going to look down on the industry standard. My rewired are professional grade and used by a couple professionals actually. I want mine to be reliable and use gold standard parts.

My Life.