Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Current Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
Lo, He comes...

paid
Attempted military coup underway in Turkey

Turkish Prime Minister Says Attempted Military Coup Underway, Local Media Reports - Turkey - Haaretz

This is...bad.

Lo! How a rose e'er blooming from tender stem hath sprung,
Of Jesse's lineage coming, as seers of old hath sung,
It came a flower bright, amid the cold of winter,
When half-spent was the night.

Isaiah t'was foretold it, the rose I have in mind,
With Mary we behold it, the Virgin Mother kind,
To show God's love aright, she bore to us a Saviour,

O flower whose fragrance tender with gladness fills the air,
Dispel with glorious speldour the darkness everywhere,
True man, yet very God! From sin and death He saves us,
And lightens every load.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-16-2016, 03:15 AM   #2
Lo, He comes...

paid
The whole thing is now looking like a stunt pulled by President Erdogan...

Was the Turkish Coup an Erdogan Hoax? | Daily Stormer

And lightens every load.

Unread 07-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #3
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

It's been interesting to watch.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2016, 08:38 PM   #4
Lo, He comes...

paid
Here's some commentary from a group I belong to (Orthodox Peace Fellowship - basically a bunch of hippy-dippy pacifist or at least peace-loving Orthodox Christians )

(Turkey is kind of important to the Orthodox Church. For one thing it's the birthplace of a bunch of the New Testament (Ephesus, Galatia, Colossae). For another, the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople has had his Patriarchal seat in a city occupied by Muslims for 800 years.)

What happened?
- On Friday night, a group of middle-ranking Turkish soldiers attempted a coup
- Their focus was on Ankara and Istanbul, taking control of the Istanbul’s bridges, airports, the Turkish parliament, and some police stations
- Their attempted coup was ill-planned and badly executed
- Their efforts were thwarted by the police aided by the huge public support
- 161 people killed, including members of the coup; 1,500 wounded; 3,000 soldiers arrested
- The government has blamed the coup on the Gulen movement. Some govt ministers have also blamed the US as being behind the coup.

Who is behind this coup?
- We really do not know. It is too early to say.
- What we do know is that Erdogan has already started using this incident as a pretext to further purge state and society beyond those involved in the coup.
- Erdogan is using the incident as a pretext to purge those associated with the GM from any position affiliated with the state, and to further smear the Movement in general
- For example, while it was reported that 47 military officers were involved in the coup, as of now, almost 3,000 officers, including tens of generals have been arrested. Furthermore, the Higher Board of Judges and Prosecutors sacked 2745 judges and prosecutors including ten of its own members. Already tens of appellate judiciary judges are detained by orders from the Ankara Prosecutor.
- How did the government determine the culpability of 2745 judges overnight in a coup orchestrated by a fraction of the military? Clearly, these are people the government wanted to get rid of anyway and is using this opportunity to do so.

Has Gulen condemned the coup?
- Absolutely and unequivocally
- In the early hours of the coup, the Alliance for Shared Values, an organization that speaks on behalf of Gulen, condemned the coup attempt. This was followed by a personal statement by Gulen, and by leading Gulen inspired organizations condemning the coup without if’s and but’s.
- Gulen’s condemnation was picked up by the world press, including the FT.

So why has Erdogan blamed Gulen for this coup?
- Gulen and Hizmet is Erdogan’s “default scapegoat”. Whenever something happens that he does not approve, he blames it on Gulen.
- Be it a condemnatory letter from 75 US Senators on Turkey; to corruption investigations; to something [else ridiculous]. Gulen becomes a pretext to purge state and society of anyone not entirely loyal.
- It is far easier to blame this on Gulen because that is a narrative the public have already come to accept. Also, by claiming that the Gulen movement is everywhere, blaming this military act on Gulen allows Erdogan to strike elsewhere on pretext that they are one and the same.
So the Turkish people stood with President Erdogan against the military? I thought they hated that guy?
- Erdogan’s support among the Turkish electorate was approximately 40-50 per cent before this coup. So he already had widespread support.
- Even those staunchly critical of Erdogan and the government condemned the coup and stood by the government.
- Crucially, the coup plotters failed to project the sense that their coup was succeeding which coup experts point out as crucial.
- There was no support for a military takeover by the Turkish people

Why have the people opposed Erdogan in the past? What has he done that has made people so unhappy?
- In his 1st and 2nd terms, Erdogan ran a reforming government.
- However, from 2010 onwards, Erdogan became increasingly authoritarian as he began to pursue more populist Islamist policies. The summer 2013 Gezi park protests was in reaction to this authoritarianism which Erdogan labelled as a coup of the “interest rate lobby”, a euphemism for the Jewish lobby.
- This authoritarian streak gained momentum when a series of corruption investigations implicating Erdogan’s inner circle went public in December 2013 onwards. To suppress the substantial evidence and judicial investigations, Erdogan fought back to control and colonize the judiciary, media and civil society to crush all forms of dissent.
- Many people are unhappy with the resulting authoritarian regime.

What now?
- Erdogan has already won. There won’t be any meaningful opposition to his witch-hunt against opposition groups from now on.
- Till now, the Chief of General Staff resisted Erdogan’s attempts of redesigning the military. The Chief of staff has now given into that.
- Having attained complete loyalty from Turkish state and civil society structures, Erdogan next stop is likely to be the Turkish diaspora overseas.
- We are already seeing coordinated attacks against Hizmet overseas and this is likely to continue.
- For the past 6 years Erdogan has been creating formal and informal structures through which to mobilize the Turkish-speaking and increasingly wider Muslim communities

And lightens every load.

Last edited by IsaactheSyrian; 07-18-2016 at 02:30 AM.