Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-12-2016, 01:35 AM   #1

Picked it back up after 8 years *Practice Tips*

Hey Everyone,

New to the forums been lurking for awhile with all the good topics and happy to join in, so here's my dilemma with a brief description:

Thinking back on it I started playing or (atleast having a guitar in my hands) since 1993 playing as a young kid as I got older life came in the way and lost interest. Picked it back up off and on around age 17-18 for a year or two, then back in 2006' for maybe a year.

So now having found a new love and interest for playing again 7 months or so ago, I am still struggling learning to play clear with out mistakes, example hitting the wrong cords "Fingerstyle" or strumming timing just not sounding that good to me if I record myself for a bit.

some of the old intro riffs (mainly play acoustic now) have come back to me re-visiting them. I feel that I am kinda just picking up were I left off years ago trying to progress now.

Any good suggestions for good practicing getting a better understanding and play style in general? I picked up a couple DVD's of interest to check out, "Peter Huttlinger" Better Practicing and his fingerstyle course.

Thanks for any tips, have been enjoying these last few months, don't plan on putting it down again.

devanxom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #2

I've always been one to practice plugged in and loud as your space allows for. You can't hide behind your mistakes when plugged in and turned up. Also, work on getting chords down clean--plugging in should help here. Also, don't be afraid to record yourself, listen back to it, and check your progression over the next few weeks, months, etc. As for different styles, try to jam with as many different people as you can. You'll pick up variations on strumming, arpeggios, attack, etc. Finally, just play every day and practice how you plan to play, i.e. standing up, while singing, plugged in, etc.

And play to jam tracks or backing tracks from YouTube to work on scales and chord changes. And timing.

Best of luck with it.