Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-10-2016, 09:31 PM   #1
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Looking at theology/doctrine/worldview in worship music

Does your church have a process for looking at a song's theology, doctrine, perspective, worldview, etc. before you introduce it to your worship set? How have you handled it when a song in the rotation is brought up as having questionable content or lyrics for some reason? I am apparently more picky about this than some of the people on our worship team, but it was brought up recently and I am curious how others handle it.

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-10-2016, 10:20 PM   #2
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
On the youth team I run, I make those decisions and take it to my youth director if I'm on the fence. Sometimes it's less about the theology and more about the content. I recently introduced "Skeleton Bones" and prefaced it with a couple minutes of Scripture

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
For us those decisions are made by the worship director. They're in that position because they're thinking about those types of things on a deeper level than the rest of the church. There could eventually be some disagreement or discussion on a song, but if this became a significant problem, we'd probably start looking to transition worship directors.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
Old School
Administrator

I would probably be the one to do that in our congregation. I haven't had to do it yet.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
Person

My wife and I recently took up the mantle of being the music directors for our congregation. We don't have a solid system for this in place, but we're trying to work on one. For now it's just about communicating with the other worship leaders about song content.
to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #6
Obnoxodox

paid
The Orthodox church has a cycle of hymnography for every Saturday, Sunday, and feast day, and that hymnography is hundreds of years old if not longer (some of it dates back to the early days of the Church), and has been accumulated through the ages. The rest of our hymnography (the parts that don't change) are generally almost always Scripture, with a few exceptions (at the Divine Liturgy, our usual Sunday worship service, the Russian/Slavic tradition in which I find myself sings Psalm 103, Psalm 146, and Matthew 5:3-12) Thus, we can be pretty sure it's in accordance with the Church's worldview.

There's a little bit of leeway in how that Tradition is interpreted, which is why it's useful for choir directors to have gone to seminary and studied Orthodox musicology - often, priest's wives will study that very thing while they're with their husbands at seminary, and then go on to direct the church's choir (this is the case with my priest's wife, and she's a very good choir director!)

Last edited by IsaactheSyrian; 07-13-2016 at 02:14 AM.
IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote