Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Amps & Effects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-27-2016, 01:55 PM   #1
Your Ad Here

NAD

Epiphone Electar Tube 10 arrived today off eBay. Late 90s, made in Korea, 8" speaker, one 12AX7 and one 6L6. I have finally gone single-ended. Early impressions are, good fun. I will either have to learn how to keep it in that slim zone between breakup and fartout, or fool around with the negative feedback loop in order to make that zone wider.

Unread 06-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
Deets Go Here

Could you replace the speaker to cut down on the fart?

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratopastor View Post
Epiphone Electar Tube 10 arrived today off eBay. Late 90s, made in Korea, 8" speaker, one 12AX7 and one 6L6. I have finally gone single-ended. Early impressions are, good fun. I will either have to learn how to keep it in that slim zone between breakup and fartout, or fool around with the negative feedback loop in order to make that zone wider.
Yeah, IIRC, the fartout on that am was attributed to the speaker... though messing with the negative feedback is often really cool.

I have a single ended amp but its got quite a bit of gain. (Marshall Jubilee preamp with a single 6v6)

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2016, 02:08 AM   #4
Your Ad Here

yeah, thanks guys, I will experiment with other cabs to see if the flatulence is coming from the speaker. Historical threads on other forums do indeed recommend a speaker change.
Unread 07-14-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
Your Ad Here

I'm really happy with this amp now. It turns out the farting wasn't due to the speaker, which may not be the best and I may change it one day, but it IS up to the job. The 6L6 had no grid-stopper resistor and the power-supply first filter needed beefing up. The sound now holds up with everythng on 'ten' and full power chords being played hard.

Other mods I got off Riff Ron's page concerning this amp, including a treble-bleed and clipping the negative feedback loop. Cost was about £5 and 2 evenings. This amp really sings, crunches and roars depending how the guitar volume knob is set.
Unread 07-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #6
Your Ad Here

ok... used in in worship band practice last night; great fun but won't play clean enough at the required volume. And that's OK, it's only 8 to 10 watts anyway. Good for home and for small settings, or for playng out if the style says a-little-hair-all-the-time is acceptable.
Unread 07-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratopastor
ok... used in in worship band practice last night; great fun but won't play clean enough at the required volume. And that's OK, it's only 8 to 10 watts anyway. Good for home and for small settings, or for playng out if the style says a-little-hair-all-the-time is acceptable.
I have a feeling this is one of those amps that either has a weak speaker or output transformer that makes it a bit more grindy at lower volumes.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #8
Your Ad Here

yeah... I could easily experiment using other speaker cabs... the OT is harder to play around with of course.

But it was always going to be a small amp. A new speaker _or_ a new OT would cost 50% of what I paid for the amp. The hunt for more clean headroom will always end in madness if pushed too far, and I am blessed to be owning other amps!