Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #1

Multi-tracks?

So, this has probably already been talked about somewhere and I just haven't seen it...

Our church hired an associate pastor last summer, and because he's been so pushy about how he wants to run rehearsals and service, our current worship pastor (my mentor) resigned. It just wasn't worth the battle anymore. This associate pastor likes to use multi-tracks a lot, which kinda keeps the rest of us from being able to be scheduled to play... I guess my question is, at what point is it a good idea to use multi-tracks? I led youth worship for a while, and there were times that we didn't have a drummer (and rarely had a bassist), and we made do with what we had. In my mind, multi-tracks sound cool, and if used correctly, can be a great element to worship, but they're not necessary and they often restrict us as a band when we feel that we should do the bridge or chorus again.

Thoughts???

WireRope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by WireRope View Post
So, this has probably already been talked about somewhere and I just haven't seen it...

Our church hired an associate pastor last summer, and because he's been so pushy about how he wants to run rehearsals and service, our current worship pastor (my mentor) resigned. It just wasn't worth the battle anymore. This associate pastor likes to use multi-tracks a lot, which kinda keeps the rest of us from being able to be scheduled to play... I guess my question is, at what point is it a good idea to use multi-tracks? I led youth worship for a while, and there were times that we didn't have a drummer (and rarely had a bassist), and we made do with what we had. In my mind, multi-tracks sound cool, and if used correctly, can be a great element to worship, but they're not necessary and they often restrict us as a band when we feel that we should do the bridge or chorus again.

Thoughts???
They're useful when they're filling in gaps or filling out the sound, but they're damaging when they're distracting or alienating the band.

We started using them with our youth band a couple of months ago, and it's forced our people to learn the songs better and it fills out the sound. We don't have a keyboard player right now. So they're very useful for keys parts. But some of them have 5 guitars or 4 keyboard parts. When that's the case we usually will only use one of the parts and the turn the others way down.

If the band isn't being scheduled because you have multi-tracks that's just weird. Pretty much everything you've mentioned about this associate pastor sounds weird.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #3
Person

That doesn't sound like a healthy situation at your church - regardless of whether multi-tracks was the issue, one pastor pushing so hard about an aspect of the worship ministry that the worship pastor resigns is indicative of some problems. Where was the senior pastor on how it was handled?

Anyway, my personal preference would be to avoid multi tracks. I'd rather a small team arranging the songs to suit the instrumentation they have than a pressure of having to sound as close to the cd as possible. If it needs to just be an acoustic guitar or piano with nothing else, that's fine. And as you say, they limit your arrangement options.
to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #4

@ Sean:
I can see that... having to play along with the multi-tracks definitely helps you learn the song! I like to learn, so this adds a new element to what I know a bout multi-tracks... thanks!

As for the situation at the church... yes, it is weird. I understand bringing in a few of the songs he's familiar with and a couple band members, but he has chosen not to schedule any of the "original" band members who have been leading worship at this church for a long time!
Senior pastor... as much as I like him, he hasn't confronted any of the issues.

Please don't get me wrong. I love this church. After being picked on a lot in other churches, this was the first one where I felt accepted and a part of the family. It hurts me badly to see the people I have been mentored by- and who I feel truly have hearts of worship- be pushed aside for a more concert-like atmosphere and because they are not "professional" enough. I don't want to be whining or anything, this is just something I'm not too sure how to handle :/
WireRope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2016, 12:07 AM   #5

I read stuff like this & appreciate my church even more--not that we're perfect or anything.
And I did lay some wrong notes today.

Hope you can get it worked out.

I prefer the live human element to the recorded element--whether it was human or not that is on the multitrack.